04-04-2015 08:10 PM
299 12345 ...
tools

Just watching the Android Central podcast where Andrew Martonik goes into discussing the S6. He seems pretty so-so about it. Mentions it's still very much the same experience as any other Samsung phone, not a radically changed one. Says the battery life is an issue for him, not lasting as long as he'd like and mentions that there is lag though it seems hit and miss. Sometimes it'll just lag and slow down and he can't pinpoint exactly what it's doing that. He mentions that the phone isn't as fast or as smooth as last year's HTC One M8...

To me this is a bit worrying. I don't want to go to a phone that slower and has less battery life than the one I currently own. Kinda don't know what to do haha. I'll check out the S6 when it's released here, but I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger after hearing this. Have to read reviews on speed and battery. Might wait and see what LG and Sony come up with.
    Not as fast as the M8? Seriously? I just played with both S6 and Edge and they are stupid fast. I seriously doubt the M8 comes close. Battery issues I can understand with that insane 4k display, which by the way is ridiculously sharp.

Posted via Android Central App
    Adranalyne likes this.
    03-28-2015 06:49 PM
    As I posted in the tmo SG6. I checked both versions at BB and i didn't like how the frame doesn't match/pair with the rest of the phone. It's so different from the rest of t shiny phone. The whole point of the phone is its design and it doesn't look right. Only 15GB left in the 32 version. No pics or music. No for me :/ Nice keyboard tho, heading to xda to check if anyone was able to fetch the apk.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-28-2015 07:15 PM
    Not as fast as the M8? Seriously? I just played with both S6 and Edge and they are stupid fast. I seriously doubt the M8 comes close. Battery issues I can understand with that insane 4k display, which by the way is ridiculously sharp.

I have no idea. The S6 and the S6 Edge are ridiculously quick. Not sure where anyone is getting the lag from.

03-28-2015 07:25 PM
    Saw no stutter at all and I tried my best to do so at Best Buy yesterday.
    Avoid trying to get the UI to struggle or lag, it may be the case that Samsung has nailed the main interface to run smoothly but TW is still strong in precense everywhere else where it also matters. The more and more we are getting reviewer feedback on the decides they've had for a few days and the bugs/lag are starting to get more noticeable? Just saying...we know how Samsung's are in this long run, they could have easily masked it for initial press and release.

03-28-2015 07:27 PM
    Yes I'm still on the fence. I'll wait for the G4 before making a choice between one of those.
    ffejjj likes this.
    03-28-2015 07:31 PM
    Avoid trying to get the UI to struggle or lag, it may be the case that Samsung has nailed the main interface to run smoothly but TW is still strong in precense everywhere else where it also matters. The more and more we are getting reviewer feedback on the decides they've had for a few days and the bugs/lag are starting to get more noticeable? Just saying...we know how Samsung's are in this long run, they could have easily masked it for initial press and release.

Well my experience with my Note 3 (using Nova launcher) tells me there is no TW slow down as such.

My Note 3 still performs just as quickly as it did when I got it over a year ago IMO. So I'm anticipating and expecting the SGS6/SGS6 Edge to do the same and even better considering newer tech.

This thing is a monster. I played with both earlier today and was blown away by the speed and the screen. I'm a little concerned about the battery though.

03-28-2015 07:36 PM

what? the s6 does not have a 4k display. it has a 2k display.

personally i think they should have stuck with a more manageable resolution rather than trying to push specs. theres diminishing returns in pushing pixels to a small screen to the point where it just can't look any sharper because its so small anyway. i compared it to my gf's iphone 6 screen, particularly at font rendering and there was really no discernible difference to me.

either way, it seems samsung (or google) still has a long way to go in optimizing its software with accompanying hardware. the weird redrawing in the default s6 browser on theverge.com annoyed the **** out of me. with so much horsepower i have no idea why it would still do this.
    03-28-2015 07:44 PM
    And QHD to boot.
    03-28-2015 07:52 PM
    Didn't catch that with my first reply. It's QHD, not 4K.

03-28-2015 07:52 PM
    the weird redrawing in the default s6 browser on theverge.com annoyed the **** out of me. with so much horsepower i have no idea why it would still do this.
    it ended up being a great advert for apple in the end
    03-28-2015 07:55 PM
    it ended up being a great advert for apple in the end
    It was a demo unit and The Verge is a heavy page. I've seen Apple products be a little slow loading it.
    03-28-2015 08:02 PM
    It was a demo unit and The Verge is a heavy page. I've seen Apple products be a little slow loading it.
    the whole point of using theverge is precisely because its a heavier page than most mobile sites. so thats why i use it as one of the standard tests for browser performance. the s6 is a powerhouse. there should be NO reason for it to redraw when you scroll up and down. it has 3 gb of ram. it has what, 8 cores?? in benchmarks it looks great. in actual usage it was slightly disappointing to me.

my iphone 5 only has 512 mb of ram and 2 cores. there should be no reason why it outperforms the s6 when testing a heavy mobile site.

its not a total dealbreaker for me or probably most people here, but its one of those things that have always kept me away from android. i almost bought a oneplusone a few months ago which is another specced out powerhouse at the time, but it also had stuttering/lagging issues. so much hardware power but it seems like its not used well/optimized at all which is unfortunate. the oneplusone camera was also a huge dealbreaker for me. great specced camera but absolutely horrible quality.
    03-28-2015 08:33 PM
    After spending 30 minutes playing with s6 on BB, I really love how fast the camera and the quality of the camera too. TOUCHWIZ has been toned down, and I noticed a little lag when I am trying to close the demo application. Other than that, it is buttery smooth and the fastest samsung phone yet (I have s5 right now).

03-28-2015 08:36 PM
    After spending 30 minutes playing with s6 on BB, I really love how fast the camera and the quality of the camera too. TOUCHWIZ has been toned down, and I noticed a little lag when I am trying to close the demo application. Other than that, it is buttery smooth and the fastest samsung phone yet (I have s5 right now).

Experienced same but no stutter.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-28-2015 08:38 PM
    Yes I'm still on the fence. I'll wait for the G4 before making a choice between one of those.
    Same here. G2 and G3 have been great. I wouldn't dare switch without at least trying the G4. First Samsung phone I've really liked though.

03-28-2015 08:40 PM
    I ended up getting the one you are thinking about. Now that demo units are available, go into a store and try it out. At the end of the day, it is the best way to make a decision as it is based upon your own experience.
    How do you think that I eliminated the edge?.......of course I checked it out. You sure put a lot of very obvious posts on this board. Worry about the quality of your posts instead of the quantity.
    03-28-2015 09:20 PM
    Same here. G2 and G3 have been great. I wouldn't dare switch without at least trying the G4. First Samsung phone I've really liked though.

I can kind of see your dilemma but IMO, you seem to be torn between a phablet and the GS6 which is not one. You do gain screen real estate and a rumored 601 ppi QHD 3k display, the card slot, and removable battery but the G4 still uses the Snapdragon 810. Best of luck in choosing which ever one works best for you.
    ffejjj likes this.
    03-28-2015 09:48 PM
    Sweet I think there will be demo units available in Australia soon, so I'll be able to see for myself and judge the phone in person.

I believe Andrew Martonik when he comments about the inconsistent lag issues. He'd have no reason to lie about it, he's just voicing his experience. Also on The Verge, the recent Vergecast they had they had the S6 and S6 Edge with them, they were playing with it and it was laggy for them as well.

This is really starting to concern me. But I'll reserve judgment until I use it.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    03-28-2015 10:04 PM
    03-28-2015 10:12 PM
    Well my experience with my Note 3 (using Nova launcher) tells me there is no TW slow down as such.

My Note 3 still performs just as quickly as it did when I got it over a year ago IMO. So I'm anticipating and expecting the SGS6/SGS6 Edge to do the same and even better considering newer tech.

This thing is a monster. I played with both earlier today and was blown away by the speed and the screen. I'm a little concerned about the battery though.

Coming from HTC sense I can definitely say that TW is slower, I seriously think that our minds perceive lag relative to the os we have become accustomed too.

I Can Be Your Hero likes this.
    03-28-2015 10:22 PM
    Coming from HTC sense I can definitely say that TW is slower, I seriously think that our minds perceive lag relative to the os we have become accustomed too.

That's possible. I have noticed occasional lag in my GS4 and based on forum comments, I went to test the GS6 after preordering and really tried to re-create any stutter or lag and was not able to.
    ffejjj likes this.
    03-28-2015 10:40 PM
    Sweet I think there will be demo units available in Australia soon, so I'll be able to see for myself and judge the phone in person.

I believe Andrew Martonik when he comments about the inconsistent lag issues. He'd have no reason to lie about it, he's just voicing his experience. Also on The Verge, the recent Vergecast they had they had the S6 and S6 Edge with them, they were playing with it and it was laggy for them as well.

This is really starting to concern me. But I'll reserve judgment until I use it.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    Have any of them said anything specifically what is lagging? I need to make sure I'm perfectly clear that this is still technically pre release software. There's already been an update as of today for T-Mobile. I spent over an hour total with 3 different demo units at 2 different stores and tried to get it to stutter. It didn't. I feel like I'd be susceptible to it given I've used a Nexus 6 for 5 months, but I couldn't get it to skip a beat. I feel like it's the default answer for people with Samsung phones. "OMG it lags". No it doesn't. Use it and see for yourself.

karmamule likes this.
    03-28-2015 10:47 PM

TW uses more animations in screen transitions than Sense. So this might be perceived as lag for those from HTC phones although it really isn't lag.

I also played with M9, N6 today and Nexus 6 was noticeably slower than S6 despite using stock android. M9 was about equal in fluidity but screen and camera were no match.
    itsnotmeitsyou likes this.
    03-28-2015 10:57 PM
    Have any of them said anything specifically what is lagging? I need to make sure I'm perfectly clear that this is still technically pre release software. There's already been an update as of today for T-Mobile. I spent over an hour total with 3 different demo units at 2 different stores and tried to get it to stutter. It didn't. I feel like I'd be susceptible to it given I've used a Nexus 6 for 5 months, but I couldn't get it to skip a beat. I feel like it's the default answer for people with Samsung phones. "OMG it lags". No it doesn't. Use it and see for yourself.

Inconsistency due to varying firmware versions in the various demo and review units?
    03-28-2015 10:57 PM
    Inconsistency due to varying firmware versions in the various demo and review units?
    Who knows. Rogue app, maybe? The phone as a whole is lightning quick. Saying otherwise is either jumping the gun or taking an isolated incident and taking it as the whole experience.

jcp007 likes this.
    03-28-2015 11:04 PM
299 12345 ...