Anyone undecided about the S6?

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
It's odd, but I've been watching various YouTube reviews from decent sources (TechnoBuffalo, PhoneArena) and they're all very happy with performance of the S6 and S6 Edge so far. I even went so far as to cancel my M9 pre-order and am going to give the S6 Edge a shot. I'm also very annoyed with HTC for knowing enough to change the camera but then NOT having OIS and seeing the meh reactions to the new camera. I'm also very happy to see several reviewers say Samsung finally nailed the fingerprint reader (despite an annoying set-up process), as I really love that feature with my iPhone 6+.

If I do turn out to be disappointed, it's a quick trip to a local t-mo store to do a return so minimal inconvenience to reverse a bad decision. But, I remain cautiously optimistic! :)

Last edited:

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
In your experience, does the price ever go up after launch?

Giving pre-orders a better price? (I doubt it but worth getting opinions)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
In your experience, does the price ever go up after launch?

Giving pre-orders a better price? (I doubt it but worth getting opinions)

Pre-order to guarantee device on release. I could wait but choice not to.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
If you're concerned about the performance of Touchwiz, go to Best Buy and try to get the phone to stutter. Pointing out isolated incidents where you can get a phone to stutter and saying performance isn't great isn't exactly the best way to describe the experience. I can get my Nexus 6 to stutter. Would anyone say the performance of stock Lollipop isn't great?

This happens every year. Someone says they saw lag somewhere and the whole phone is somehow laggy all the time. The S6 doesn't lag. End of story.

Posted via the Android Central App

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
After watching the comparisons of S6 and iPhone 6 I am definitely on the fence. I'm not comparing Android vs iOS by any means, but I can see the slight lag being mentioned. Mind you this is coming from a Nexus 5 user, my phone doesn't seem to run that far off from the S6 (based on watching videos, so taken with a lot of skeptisim).

My concern isn't so much the battery (anything will be better than what I've got) but the performance and TW. And while it was promoted initially as a revamp, I agree it seems from a distance Samsung still exists.

I always had an interest in the G3 and I'll wait for the G4, hoping it says under 5.2"...otherwise I don't know what I'll get.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I spent a good 20 minutes with the S6 yesterday in store and did not experience what Andrew did. Performance was very smooth. I opened multiple apps, used multi tasking, played a game, launched the camera several times and there was no lag or stutters at all. I've also watched several reviews on Youtube and they all praised the performance and the toned down version of TW. The battery really isn't an issue with me..everyone says it has no problem lasting a full day with moderate use. Thats good enough for me since most of the time im either in the office, home or my car all of which i have chargers so I dont see myself running low. Even if I did thats where the power saving options come in handy. Im pretty sure anyone who gets this wont be disappointed.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I spent a good 20 minutes with the S6 yesterday in store and did not experience what Andrew did. Performance was very smooth. I opened multiple apps, used multi tasking, played a game, launched the camera several times and there was no lag or stutters at all. I've also watched several reviews on Youtube and they all praised the performance and the toned down version of TW. The battery really isn't an issue with me..everyone says it has no problem lasting a full day with moderate use. Thats good enough for me since most of the time im either in the office, home or my car all of which i have chargers so I dont see myself running low. Even if I did thats where the power saving options come in handy. Im pretty sure anyone who gets this wont be disappointed.

Had the same experience and do the things at work and home for charging.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Just tested the edge version out. Looked cool but was definitely awkward to hold.

Once again I opened the default browser and loaded up theverge.com.

Laggy and redrawing while scrolling up and down. Not sure how anyone can say it's smooth at all? Is this what regular android users are used to? My 3 year old iPhone 5 is way smoother. So weird.

Basically same thing happened when I tested out the regular s6 a few weeks ago. Don't really understand how such a powerful phone can feel slower than my aging iPhone 5.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Just tested the edge version out. Looked cool but was definitely awkward to hold.

Laggy and redrawing while scrolling up and down. Not sure how anyone can say it's smooth at all? Is this what regular android users are used to? My 3 year old iPhone 5 is way smoother. So weird.

Basically same thing happened when I tested out the regular s6 a few weeks ago. Don't really understand how such a powerful phone can feel slower than my aging iPhone 5.

I wouldn't say it lags, but it definitely was redrawing on the Verge. Both the stock browser and Chrome did it. The hardware is more than capable of handling those sites as easily as any other phone. It's something they could easily address. The S6, despite redrawing on that website, is still faster than your iPhone 5. Basing the speed of the entire phone on whether it can speedily scroll up and down one website isn't exactly the best way to grade it.

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

Where did you test the S6 at a few weeks ago? They were just put on display in the US Friday.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I tested both regular S6 and edge at BB today. Very quick and smooth on swiping, opening/closing apps. The only place I noticed some stuttering is samsung flipboard page on the left of screen. It's not as smooth as HTC Blinkfeed. They still need to improve that. I don't use it anyway, so turned it off and it's felt silky smooth pretty much everywhere. I also noticed that demo software runs screen at 100% brightness, location at high accuracy. I manually changed that to 75% and battery saving location mode, but it soon reverts back to default. Such setting would drain battery fastest but still lost only a few % while I was playing with it.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I tested both regular S6 and edge at BB today. Very quick and smooth on swiping, opening/closing apps. The only place I noticed some stuttering is samsung flipboard page on the left of screen. It's not as smooth as HTC Blinkfeed. They still need to improve that. I don't use it anyway, so turned it off and it's felt silky smooth pretty much everywhere. I also noticed that demo software runs screen at 100% brightness, location at high accuracy. I manually changed that to 75% and battery saving mode, but it soon reverts back to default. Such setting would drain battery fastest but still lost only a few % while I was playing with it.

Agreed. Took me a minute to figure out how to disable the Flipboard screen because they don't have Home Screen Settings anymore.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
....Basing the speed of the entire phone on whether it can speedily scroll up and down one website isn't exactly the best way to grade it.

Really? I always do that when I am checking out a new phone. I use The Truth About Cars website as my test.

I am going to wait this out until the S6 is in the hands of the folks, and get some good feedback on battery and everyday use.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Really? I always do that when I am checking out a new phone. I use The Truth About Cars website as my test.

I am going to wait this out until the S6 is in the hands of the folks, and get some good feedback on battery and everyday use.

You should probably base it on general scrolling across the entire OS, multitasking, and touch response, but that's just me. Apparently they're pushing an update that's got performance fixes today so the redrawing issue may have already been addressed.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The Edge feels so small and light in the hand. The sloped sides give me an extra secure grip since I can have my thumb comfortably flush on the edge and my fingers wrapped around the other side. I have heard half the reviewers saying it felt great and the other half saying it was awkward. I totally agree with the former.

My S5 feels like a brick now, but I'll wait for the gold version to come out.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I agree. I'm not really fond of Samsung as a whole but the 30 min I spent at Best buy using it was impressive. Not much to complain about. The design... I much preferred the S6 over the Edge. Finally hit the premium feel on the head too. Awesome feel in the hand but will I break it??

Posted via Android Central App

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I'm not really fond of Samsung as a whole but the 30 min I spent at Best buy using it was impressive. Not much to complain about. The design... I much preferred the S6 over the Edge. Finally hit the premium feel on the head too. Awesome feel in the hand but will I break it??

Posted via Android Central App

If I got the S6 instead of the Edge, I'm not sure I'd use a case with it. It felt perfect in my hand. I was thoroughly impressed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae