Anyone undecided about the S6?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
but not all. It's still android, and android is not 100% stutter free 100% of the time. As I said before, it's a great improvement but not 100% lag free. Such a phone doesn't even exist on other OS's. Even WP and iOS have occasional stutter. I'm not claiming it's not fluid or fast, I'm taking issue with Samsung's proclamation of zero lag

I wouldn't call anything I've seen on the S6 lag. The browser redraw thing needs to be fixed, and it may have as recently as yesterday but it doesn't lag. Perceived lag and actual lag are two completely different things.

Posted via the Android Central App

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't call anything I've seen on the S6 lag. The browser redraw thing needs to be fixed, and it may have as recently as yesterday but it doesn't lag. Perceived lag and actual lag are two completely different things.

Agree there will always be occasional stutters on every phone. But browser redraw shouldn't be there AT ALL, considering the amount of ram and horsepower the s6 has.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Agree there will always be occasional stutters on every phone. But browser redraw shouldn't be there AT ALL, considering the amount of ram and horsepower the s6 has.

Agreed. They may have fixed it already with this recent update. Shouldn't be too hard to do considering the power they have at their disposal.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Martonik also saying he gets about 2.5 hours screen time with the S6: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...you-have-questions-ask-me-11.html#post4313223

Man this is not looking good. I get about double that on my current phone.

I might wait for a few weeks to see what the response is like then decide to grab one or not. These the performance and battery aren't comforting.

I questioned him about this and unless I'm mistaken, such times are for light to medium use and only 14 hours total. I get 30 to 40 hours with said screen on time with my m8. I'll kill the S6 in an hour if I'm gaming based on such test results. On my m8 I get 4 hours of screen on time before she's dead while gaming.

Who cares about charging options if the phone won't even make it to a charger?

Posted via Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I questioned him about this and unless I'm mistaken, such times are for light to medium use and only 14 hours total. I get 30 to 40 hours with said screen on time with my m8. I'll kill the S6 in an hour if I'm gaming based on such test results. On my m8 I get 4 hours of screen on time before she's dead while gaming.

Who cares about charging options if the phone won't even make it to a charger?

If you're still on the fence, wait til sites like Mobile Tech Review publish with production units. You already know about charging options and capabilities. Be mindful also that patches will be released like for TMO to fix bugs and glitches and Lollipop 5.1. My point is reviews are all over the map for one reason or another. I read nor watched anything that dissuaded me from preordering. I am a huge Samsung fan, big surprise, but I passed on the GS5 because I didn't consider it as big a move as the GS6

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
If you're still on the fence, wait til sites like Mobile Tech Review publish with production units. You already know about charging options and capabilities. Be mindful also that patches will be released like for TMO to fix bugs and glitches and Lollipop 5.1. My point is reviews are all over the map for one reason or another. I read nor watched anything that dissuaded me from preordering. I am a huge Samsung fan, big surprise, but I passed on the GS5 because I didn't consider it as big a move as the GS6

Andrew is using the T-Mobile final units.
He tested both the Edge and normal.
He's getting 14 hours with 2 1/2 hours of screen on time with light to medium use. That's what people are going to be getting on Monday if they pre-ordered from T-Mobile. This is not a Korean or European model.

Nobody else has anything more final. This is it folks, half the battery life of the S5 and m8. /cry

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to hold until real world every day use gets fed back to us and more color options are offered. I'll be ordering a new battery for my clunky GS3 to get me through this period.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
He's getting 14 hours with 2 1/2 hours of screen on time with light to medium use. That's what people are going to be getting on Monday if they pre-ordered from T-Mobile. This is not a Korean or European model.

Nobody else has anything more final. This is it folks, half the battery life of the S5 and m8. /cry

If you honestly believe that it's half the battery life because one reviewer tells you so, that's probably not a good thing.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Read also that lollipop 5.0.2 which I believe they shipped with that may be the culprit. Bug fix already available and 5.1 should be pushed out by carriers at some point soon. Still no cause for alarm. Expecting a device to perform spot on all the time and not allow for other mitigating factors to be considered lacks a more big picture view. Not making judgements. Just a thought.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Put it another way. How often at the office, home, car on a daily basis are you away from a charging sources? Are you away for 14 Hours? Doubtful. This is also a temporary problem if it indeed is one at all. At least the GS6 didn't get hammered for having a huge battery and still,performing badly,

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Read also that lollipop 5.0.2 which I believe they shipped with that may be the culprit. Bug fix already available and 5.1 should be pushed out by carriers at some point soon. Still no cause for alarm. Expecting a device to perform spot on all the time and not allow for other mitigating factors to be considered lacks a more big picture view. Not making judgements. Just a thought.

You probably won't get 5.1 until the summer at the the least.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

So what your saying is that regardless that T-Mobile just pushed out an update yesterday or the day before, new owners should just adapt until the note 5 comes out and everyone gets the magic battery update?
Uh, no. As I told you, your phone should adapt to you, not you to it.

I would love to get off this fence I just jumped on, but I trust what Andrew is saying (and with both units tested) and it is to be hard to convince me to disregard him.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Put it another way. How often at the office, home, car on a daily basis are you away from a charging sources? Are you away for 14 Hours? Doubtful. This is also a temporary problem if it indeed is one at all. At least the GS6 didn't get hammered for having a huge battery and still,performing badly,

I'm just blown away at how many people take one reviewers word for it and ignore the several other accounts that contradict this. Reviewers who put up a review 24 hours in with one charge cycle under their belt reported better battery life than this. Everyone needs to calm down and wait until people have had this for a week or so of normal usage outside of reviewing it.

Some of you are acting like this is your first phone or something.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
If you honestly believe that it's half the battery life because one reviewer tells you so, that's probably not a good thing.

I trust him far more than most out there.
He insists that he couldn't double the times in ultra stand by mode, yet I get twice that in normal mode.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I trust him far more than most out there.
He insists that he couldn't double the times in ultra stand by mode, yet I get twice that in normal mode.

He's had the phone for 3-4 days. That newest update just hit yesterday. You're telling me that you believe the S6 Edge, with the same battery capacity of the S4, can't last as long? Think about that for a second. I could get 4-5 hours on screen with the S4 over 15-17 hours when I had it. The 14nm processor, the more efficient storage, the more efficient RAM, and better display technology (albeit 1440p vs 1080p) won't produce better results than the S4? I don't buy it. If I was seeing these type of results from multiple sources, I'd consider it, but it's the opposite. It's one person, two phones, and it doesn't make much sense. You're more than welcome to take his word as gospel and not buy the phone, but for the rest of you guys, I hope that's not the case.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
He's had the phone for 3-4 days. That newest update just hit yesterday. You're telling me that you believe the S6 Edge, with the same battery capacity of the S4, can't last as long? Think about that for a second. I could get 4-5 hours on screen with the S4 over 15-17 hours when I had it. The 14nm processor, the more efficient storage, the more efficient RAM, and better display technology (albeit 1440p vs 1080p) won't produce better results than the S4? I don't buy it. If I was seeing these type of results from multiple sources, I'd consider it, but it's the opposite. It's one person, two phones, and it doesn't make much sense. You're more than welcome to take his word as gospel and not buy the phone, but for the rest of you guys, I hope that's not the case.

I don't think a lot of reviewers have been blown away by the battery life(at least that I recall seeing sobfar) and the general feedback has been mixed. Maybe it's the software, maybe some folks out there had a pre production unit, maybe something else. But I can't recall a phone pre release where battery results were mixed like this where the actual battery life is better than decent and turned out to be really good. Samsung opted for a nice looking, well built thin phone at the expense of the size of the battery.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't think a lot of reviewers have been blown away by the battery life(at least that I recall seeing sobfar) and the general feedback has been mixed. Maybe it's the software, maybe some folks out there had a pre production unit, maybe something else. But I can't recall a phone pre release where battery results were mixed like this where the actual battery life is better than decent and turned out to be really good. Samsung opted for a nice looking, well built thin phone at the expense of the size of the battery.

They aren't really that mixed, though. It's about on par with the S5. Is the battery life spectacular? No. Is it enough to get most people through a day with moderate use? Yes. The S5 didn't/doesn't have bad battery life at all, but it wasn't/isn't Note 4/Droid Maxx quality. The S6 won't be, either.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

That's my point. Even with an update and a few charging cycles you are not going to get twice the screen on time as right out of the box. A half hour difference, Ok. An hour difference, maybe. But 2 1/2 hours more? No way it will happen.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Major reports on battery testing from reviewers so far.

Samsung Galaxy S6 review: Subject Zero - page 3 - GSMArena.com

Samsung Galaxy S6 edge Review - Call quality, Battery and Conclusion

Samsung Galaxy S6 review – a bunch of innovations in a beautiful body

GSMarena still doesn't post battery stats in official S6 info page yet though they did review with pre-release unit. I think they will update it with production version testing. Anandtech is going to publish their battery testing result soon, so that will give better picture on it. I don't go by couple of subjective real world review no matter it's glowing or poor. When S5 was launching around this time last year, it was similar situation with some reviews saying it's not so good on battery.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
They aren't really that mixed, though. It's about on par with the S5. Is the battery life spectacular? No. Is it enough to get most people through a day with moderate use? Yes. The S5 didn't/doesn't have bad battery life at all, but it wasn't/isn't Note 4/Droid Maxx quality. The S6 won't be, either.

No, almost every review says that it has less battery life then the S5. how much is up for debate. But on par? Please show me.