Anyone undecided about the S6?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is one of the major concerns and was brought up by the original poster. It is the main subject of this thread. If you don't like this thread, then skip it.

Just do everyone a favor and put the pom poms away already.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks for re-iterating that.

My concerns which is why I'm tossing up whether I get the S6 or not is the battery life and also supposed inconsistent performance. I'm not interested in going back and forth with posters trying to build a case for or against what has been said/posted about the S6. However I do trust Andrew Martonik as an Android Central staff member. I personally think he's brutally honest about any device he uses and from what I can, has no bias towards any particular device/brand. I appreciate his comments and his views, positive or negative about any device.

Let me state that what I've read from Andrew Martonik's impressions is that it's not constant lagging or constant stutters or even something that he can pin down 100% (such as the gallery lag of the S5), but just occasionally, it seems to slow down and lag here and there, which is troubling to me. I don't like it, and I don't want to see it if I drop hundreds of dollars on a phone.

And also with the battery life, according to Andrew, he's getting around 2.5 hrs screen time on battery life. Now I'm willing to give leeway to 3 hours or so, but again, those are what he's seeing. And from what he can tell, there's no rogue app sucking juice inexplicably or anything like that.

From what I've read in the reviews, the S6 does have less battery life than the flagships of last year. I've been reading that battery life is 'average' which is down from good or great last year, again another concern to me. I might have to invest in a power brick or put it on power saving mode myself when I feel I'll be out and about and won't have access to a charger.

I'm just undecided at the moment. I do like the S6 and feel it's the most compelling handset so far (primarily because of the camera), but I'm not liking what I'm hearing about the somewhat inconsistent performance and average-to-disappointing battery life.

He did however did say something that really got me excited and that was about the camera. Andrew has glowing impressions of the camera, saying along the lines that he has yet to take a 'bad' photo with it. He implies that the camera just works well in pretty much any scenario you throw at it, and I'm really excited about that.

So I'll just have to wait for more reviews (waiting for AC's review of it), and then I'll use it in person and see how it is. I have eyes of a hawk and laugh when people say 'no lag' on phones, because I always see lag. Have yet to see a non-laggy Samsung phone, hoping that the S6 is the first.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Too much arguing here over lab type tests. Real world use is going to bear this out, patience until the user reviews start coming in...and trust me, they'll have plenty to say about it both the good and the bad.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

My concerns which is why I'm tossing up whether I get the S6 or not is the battery life and also supposed inconsistent performance. I'm not interested in going back and forth with posters trying to build a case for or against what has been said/posted about the S6. However I do trust Andrew Martonik as an Android Central staff member. I personally think he's brutally honest about any device he uses and from what I can, has no bias towards any particular device/brand. I appreciate his comments and his views, positive or negative about any device.

Let me state that what I've read from Andrew Martonik's impressions is that it's not constant lagging or constant stutters or even something that he can pin down 100% (such as the gallery lag of the S5), but just occasionally, it seems to slow down and lag here and there, which is troubling to me. I don't like it, and I don't want to see it if I drop hundreds of dollars on a phone.

And also with the battery life, according to Andrew, he's getting around 2.5 hrs screen time on battery life. Now I'm willing to give leeway to 3 hours or so, but again, those are what he's seeing. And from what he can tell, there's no rogue app sucking juice inexplicably or anything like that.

From what I've read in the reviews, the S6 does have less battery life than the flagships of last year. I've been reading that battery life is 'average' which is down from good or great last year, again another concern to me. I might have to invest in a power brick or put it on power saving mode myself when I feel I'll be out and about and won't have access to a charger.

I'm just undecided at the moment. I do like the S6 and feel it's the most compelling handset so far (primarily because of the camera), but I'm not liking what I'm hearing about the somewhat inconsistent performance and average-to-disappointing battery life.

He did however did say something that really got me excited and that was about the camera. Andrew has glowing impressions of the camera, saying along the lines that he has yet to take a 'bad' photo with it. He implies that the camera just works well in pretty much any scenario you throw at it, and I'm really excited about that.

So I'll just have to wait for more reviews (waiting for AC's review of it), and then I'll use it in person and see how it is. I have eyes of a hawk and laugh when people say 'no lag' on phones, because I always see lag. Have yet to see a non-laggy Samsung phone, hoping that the S6 is the first.

You have every right to be concerned with a phone you're contemplating on purchasing. What shocks me is how much stock you seem to put in -one- person's account of a phone he's had for less than a week. An account that isn't widely shared at all, in fact. I'd understand this sky-is-falling attitude some of you have if this was being stated by multiple reputable outlets....but it's not.

The HTC One M9 will lag in some points. The Nexus 6 does. The M8 does. The S6 may stutter on an inconsistent basis just like these other phones. That's no different than anything else that's out. Pointing at isolated incidents you can't replicate isn't indicative of the entire performance of the device. The S6 is very fast, very fluid, and greatly improved from past iterations. You've got multiple review sites claiming the exact same thing.

The battery life of the S6 was never going to be world-class. They made a decision to go in a different direction, but when it's all said and done, it has the ability to match or slightly exceed the S5. We're talking about people with these phones and not even 5 full charge cycles being put through the battery. Come on, now. They've even updated it yesterday and that may affect things.

People really need to put their pitchforks away. This phone has every indication of being extremely good and having played with it multiple times now, that's where I stand.

Posted via the Android Central App

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
That's exactly it.
Incremental upgrades keeps them coming back for the next best thing.

Yes, incremental updates, this is clearly a business move, they have made the decision to give the S6 average battery life and balanced it with the advantage of quick charge. I guess it makes sense.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Get some snacks and a drink. Go to the Hands On Video thread that I started. There should be a ton of reviews including PhoneArena Do your own testing and research. Make up your own mind. One persons opinion is the important thing but your decision is the only one that matters.

Last edited:

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Waiting for the G4. Samsung with their false claims pretty much crossed themselves off my list.

Oh I'm definitely waiting for the G4

There is no denying the S6 looks amazing though.

My needs out of a phone have changed...

I need to be able to root, the easier the better (Xposed is awesome), I want a great screen and good build quality with killer stats.

Is that asking to much 😆

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I played with the Galaxy S6 for 15 minutes yesterday at Bestbuy. I was very disappointed they still have those ugly cartoony icons although I can tone things down in the setting menu and the dialer does look a little more "material design." I will say that I didn't notice the lag Andrew was talking about. The phone was very fast and snappy and the camera activates rather quickly. I didn't get a chance to check out the browser to check for redraws although I with I did. I wish there was a way to check battery life in 15 minutes but I couldn't although from reviews on You Tube I hear it's average. I don't think everyone should judge this phone until it gets in a couple folks hands. I will say though that I love how the phone feels in my hand.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Since you're concerned with Andrew's opinion so much, the update from yesterday helped this perceived "lag" and improved battery life. He still seems "meh", but I think it's just a personal preference of his shining through at this point. The S6 is every bit as fast, if not faster, than my Nexus 6. The battery is also pretty good and more and more people are seeing that. Probably because they've gone through a few charge cycles and it's starting to peak.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I've never been more sure about a phone purchase. I've always said that I've wanted an Android phone (especially Samsung) with the build quality of an iPhone. Now we have that device with the best of both worlds.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I've never been more sure about a phone purchase. I've always said that I've wanted an Android phone (especially Samsung) with the build quality of an iPhone. Now we have that device with the best of both worlds.

We,are almost there but need to make measure able strides toward device optimization that surpasses Apple. We will get there someday, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

You're welcome Hero.

You see, we almost always think alike and I anticipate and predict things that others may not see through all the glam and glitter. I notice lots of small details on reviews that others also never notice.

My point isn't that I'm relying on just Andrew's thoughts. I'm seeing others like Android Authority's review that had 3 3/4 hours of screen on time but instead of Auto brightness (that will be intensely bright outdoors when Andrew took his photos) , he (at AA) used manual and at about 25% brightness. That sounds about right and consistent with what others are getting in "real world use" (not benchmarks).

So while I'm still skeptical of Andrews results, they can't just be dismissed with auto brightness and real world use on more or less release software.

As for stuttering, I'm sure that the new S6 is the smoothest and lag free phone Samsung has made. My S4 was virtually lag free even after 2 years. But it did stutter once in a blue moon. Like once a week. Not the over blown lag fest AC claimed and the staff got called out on such bs and the whole forum got blown up.
With that said, nothing is smoother then my m8. I find it better then my friend's ip6+ and smoother than the nexus 6. Motorola also makes a great ui, and so does Sony, but I think that any issues with stutter/lag at this time is a lollypop issue and not samsung (chrome being a good example). LG, they have a long way to go with lag and stuttering.

I personally like Touchwiz. Maybe not as much as Sence, but close. So the UI is not an issue with me. If it's not an issue with you then it's best to watch as many videos as you can and test it out yourself.

But personally I refuse to carry otg cables and portable chargers with me every day. Other people can adapt and embrace change but I'm not Batman and refuse to where a utility belt. I'm willing to pay extra for the lack of SD cards but If my phone can't last at least a full day when charged then it's not usable for me.

Now while I'm also semi retired and don't work, I live in NYC and see how the vast majority of people in my area commute to work. They do so by public transportation. The avg commute is one hour. So for millions of hard working people who don't sit at a desk all day (and won't have access to a charger) they personally need their phones to last at least 10 hours with them using their phones on a bus, train, or both, and during lunch and breaks. That sounds to me like 2 1/2 hours of use (screen on time) with limited to no access to a charger.
I'll repeat, that's millions of people living in my city that will use their phones while commuting and during lunch with no charger. Should I recommend the S6 to friends and family with results from most of the reviewers who didn't benchmark, but just used the phone and show worse battery life then 2013 flagships? Do you think they will carry a portable charger?

I do hope that Android Authority's review and Andrew are wrong about battery life. Because I just sold my backup phone and my next hope for replacing it is not for 6 months (note5).

The good news is with all the T-Mobile people who pre-ordered. We will find the truth in less than a few days.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Too much arguing here over lab type tests. Real world use is going to bear this out, patience until the user reviews start coming in...and trust me, they'll have plenty to say about it both the good and the bad.

how are user reviews gonna be any less biased? for the most part, anyone who purchases a product and spends a big deal of money on one is gonna defend it and easily overlook any shortcomings because by nature, we try to defend our own choices.

jojen

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
We,are almost there but need to make measure able strides toward device optimization that surpasses Apple.
In order for that to happen it will have to take place at the OS level so the ball's in Google's court now. As it stands right now we've been seeing it take about 4 updates for every !major new version of android to reach an acceptable level of stability. Each of those have to make there way from google - manufacturer - carrier before we get it. I have a nexus on 5.02 about to get 5.1 but an 18 month old carrier phone still on KitKat so in my books android has a long way to go to do what you're asking.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Check out Joe the insiders mini review on Hands-on-experience thread. He is confident that the battery is solid, and touchwiz is smooth.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
how are user reviews gonna be any less biased? for the most part, anyone who purchases a product and spends a big deal of money on one is gonna defend it and easily overlook any shortcomings because by nature, we try to defend our own choices.

I don't care about bias, 3 hrs is 3 hrs...somebody's going to say it 5 when it's 3? Whatever, can't do anything about lying but the feedback for the most part here will be fine. The fan boy's will get smoked out pretty quick here.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Check out Joe the insiders mini review on Hands-on-experience thread. He is confident that the battery is solid, and touchwiz is smooth.

I did and thanked him.
I don't like sitting on this fence as it hurts my rear and I'm tired. Thankfully I'm about ready to jump off it with just some real readers coming in.

I really want this phone. I don't want anything else.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't care about bias, 3 hrs is 3 hrs...somebody's going to say it 5 when it's 3? Whatever, can't do anything about lying but the feedback for the most part here will be fine. The fan boy's will get smoked out pretty quick here.

Unless I see GSAM screenshots....It didn't happen.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I did and thanked him.
I don't like sitting on this fence as it hurts my rear and I'm tired. Thankfully I'm about ready to jump off it with just some real readers coming in.

I really want this phone. I don't want anything else.

I'm in the same boat

M9: Shoddy camera and not enough battery life. Ugly speaker

iPhone 6: Boring, the worst battery life, smaller screen, only 16GB

Oneplus One: It's cheap with amazing battery life and I could wait until new phones come out and get this as a temp phone. But it is too big to use with one hand, and has terrible potential hardware problems

S6: Has Fingerprint scanner, nice big screen, good camera, same price as M9, Samsung Pay, Wireless charging, amazing looking, capacitative buttons.

Just tell me the battery life is good and I will order it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC