Anyone undecided about the S6?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat

M9: Shoddy camera and not enough battery life. Ugly speaker

iPhone 6: Boring, the worst battery life, smaller screen, only 16GB

Oneplus One: It's cheap with amazing battery life and I could wait until new phones come out and get this as a temp phone. But it is too big to use with one hand, and has terrible potential hardware problems

S6: Has Fingerprint scanner, nice big screen, good camera, same price as M9, Samsung Pay, Wireless charging, amazing looking, capacitative buttons.

Just tell me the battery life is good and I will order it

Turn off sync, turn off data when not in use, use dark theme apps, use Firefox with black background addon. I think it can manage up to 5 hr sot.

If you are gaming crazy, then no phone can save you. :D

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
how are user reviews gonna be any less biased? for the most part, anyone who purchases a product and spends a big deal of money on one is gonna defend it and easily overlook any shortcomings because by nature, we try to defend our own choices.

I agree to an extent way to many defenders of the faith who seem to be employed by Samsung to get an honest reviews or the ones that say because they outsell others they have to be the best.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Just ordered a new battery for my clunky GS3, I'm going to hold out and watch the carnage and wait for the platinum. If Verizon waits too long for the platinum I'll just pass on the phone and wait until the GS7 if my clunker makes it that long.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Turn off sync, turn off data when not in use, use dark theme apps, use Firefox with black background addon. I think it can manage up to 5 hr sot.

If you are gaming crazy, then no phone can save you. :D

That seems like a pretty big hassle to me. Gamers expect battery carnage, but having to turn of sync and data and use a dark theme in web browsing just to get 5 hours screen time when phones last year could easily do that with all the GPS, WIFI, Data, bluetooth on as well as syncing on for everything. Step backwards.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
That seems like a pretty big hassle to me. Gamers expect battery carnage, but having to turn of sync and data and use a dark theme in web browsing just to get 5 hours screen time when phones last year could easily do that with all the GPS, WIFI, Data, bluetooth on as well as syncing on for everything. Step backwards.

its surprisingly easy with power widget toggles.

And im not sure last year flagships can get to 5 that "easy" with everything on. Check battery thread in M8, s5, nexus 5,it becomes apparent many can't.

Last edited:

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
its surprisingly easy with power widget toggles.

And im not sure last year flagships can get to 5 that "easy" with everything on. Check battery thread in M8, s5, nexus 5,it becomes apparent many can't.

My m8 says differently and I'm on a one year old battery. Oh, I'm a gamer too so my battery today has to be worse than a year ago.

While I do like dark themes and use them. I sync everything but I don't mess with social media like others. The rest is going to stay on and be used with little battery issues.

I've always gotten 5 1/2 to 6 hours of sot at 66% brightness in light to medium use. with about 14 to 16 hours total depending on how much of that is on wifi and what I do that day.
In ultra light use I posted a screen shot with 40 hours and almost 30% battery left. Last years phones were amazing for battery life.

If I'm gaming then I still get upto 4 hours of sot. The m8 is no slouch in the battery department. I'm sure the S5 isn't as well.

While your advice is best for stretching out some extra life in our phones, it shouldn't be mandatory for all day use.

Posted via Android Central App

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I don't care about bias, 3 hrs is 3 hrs...somebody's going to say it 5 when it's 3? Whatever, can't do anything about lying but the feedback for the most part here will be fine. The fan boy's will get smoked out pretty quick here.

Yes, it's not that difficult to differentiate the two.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Since this news from Andrew broke out yesterday (2.5 SoT), I went back to BB and tested battery drain under continuous usage (browsing, videos). I left it at default full brightness, high accuracy location. It seems like it loses 1% every 2 or 3 mins. At this rate, SoT from 100% to 0% would be 4.16 hours. I know this is simple test and there are more factors in real world usage. But it seems to me SoT would be easily over 3.5 hours if used more continuously rather than mixed usage like Andrew's case.

What concerns me more is his total time of 12~14 hours. That seems to indicate stand by time is not very good. It needs to be 3 ~ 4 hours more at least. Managing location, syncs will help but not that much. If S6 turns out to be more than 10% worse from S5 overall, I will hold onto S5 till next year. I hope 5.1 will help.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Since this news from Andrew broke out yesterday (2.5 SoT), I went back to BB and tested battery drain under continuous usage (browsing, videos). I left it at default full brightness, high accuracy location. It seems like it loses 1% every 2 or 3 mins. At this rate, SoT from 100% to 0% would be 4.16 hours. I know this is simple test and there are more factors in real world usage. But it seems to me SoT would be easily over 3.5 hours if used more continuously rather than mixed usage like Andrew's case.

What concerns me more is his total time of 12~14 hours. That seems to indicate stand by time is not very good. It needs to be 3 ~ 4 hours more at least. Managing location, syncs will help but not that much. If S6 turns out to be more than 10% worse from S5 overall, I will hold onto S5 till next year. I hope 5.1 will help.

Talked with Florence Ion from GreenBot about it yesterday. She said standby is excellent for her. She went to bed with 13% (no idea how long she slept), but woke up at 13% still.

Posted via the Android Central App

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Talked with Florence Ion from GreenBot about it yesterday. She said standby is excellent for her. She went to bed with 13% (no idea how long she slept), but woke up at 13% still.

We slept for about 9 hours that night I think

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence concerning either upgrading from the S4 to the S6 or getting the iPhone 6+. I owned an iPod Touch and unfortunately lost it. Since this is the case, I'm considering the iPhone since I can simply upload all of my music flawlessly (including playlists) into it. However, I do love Samsung phones and I'm becoming swayed by the free charger Best Buy is offering if you preorder.

Don't know what to do :(

J

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the fence concerning either upgrading from the S4 to the S6 or getting the iPhone 6+. I owned an iPod Touch and unfortunately lost it. Since this is the case, I'm considering the iPhone since I can simply upload all of my music flawlessly (including playlists) into it. However, I do love Samsung phones and I'm becoming swayed by the free charger Best Buy is offering if you preorder.

Don't know what to do :(

J

seriously? you're being swayed by a free charger? personally i was gonna get the s6 but now i think im just gonna wait for the iphone 6s. still waiting for more full reviews on the samsung s6.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Glad to see some of the cheap stabs at each other have subsided. Great discussion and debate everyone, keep it up :)

Always keep in mind, your beef is with the OEM or carrier not with each other.

Paul

Mod Team Leader @ AC.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Glad to see some of the cheap stabs at each other have subsided. Great discussion and debate everyone, keep it up :)

Always keep in mind, your beef is with the OEM or carrier not with each other.

Paul

Mod Team Leader @ AC.

I figured I've earned enough warning points already.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm just blown away at how many people take one reviewers word for it and ignore the several other accounts that contradict this. Reviewers who put up a review 24 hours in with one charge cycle under their belt reported better battery life than this. Everyone needs to calm down and wait until people have had this for a week or so of normal usage outside of reviewing it.

Some of you are acting like this is your first phone or something.

Exactly. I've read many others reviews that said battery life is more than adequate. Some people are just unrealistic when it comes to battery life on phones. And if the battery really is a concern you can always return it and get something else or just stick with whatever you have now. If you buy the S6 and it doesn't fit your needs you're not stuck with it just bring it back within 14 days and you're good. Nobody is forcing you to use it. Sheesh

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

That's false or backwards.
Continuous use drains the battery faster as your screen normally uses the most battery.

Think about what you said, it drains 1% for each minute that you used the screen. Once your 4ish hours of straight use is up, how much battery life do you have left for standby? Nothing is the correct answer.

Also, it depends on the app that you are using. The AC app is more battery efficient then SwiftKey. A high end game will drain your battery fast.

But the less that you use the screen, the longer your standby time will be. I can get 40 to 48 hours of life with only 2 1/2 hours of sot and apps that aren't battery hogs with my m8.

Otherwise, with light to medium use (some YouTube, Web browsing, maybe some music, a few text and phone calls) I get 5 to 6 hours of sot and a total of 14 to 16 hours before my m8 dead.

But I'll only get 4 hours of sot if I game for 4 hours straight.... And I'll have about only 5% battery left at that point. So no standby and reduced usage if continuous use and battery draining apps.

Screen on time is closely tied together with total time or stand by of the battery.

Andrew also tested his unit on auto not full brightness. Generally auto mode users more battery then manual, and when outside the screen goes even brighter then manual mode.
Also remember that Andrew was using his phone like a normal person. His model had at least his emails and some social media syncing to the phone like a normal user would. Your model was not syncing anything....and just how long did you test the phone for and what apps or things did you do with it while watching the time drop? Or was the screen just on doing nothing?

Not arguing, just want to learn from your brief experience.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
That's false or backwards.
Continuous use drains the battery faster as your screen normally uses the most battery.

Think about what you said, it drains 1% for each minute that you used the screen. Once your 4ish hours of straight use is up, how much battery life do you have left for standby? Nothing is the correct answer.

Also, it depends on the app that you are using. The AC app is more battery efficient then SwiftKey. A high end game will drain your battery fast.

But the less that you use the screen, the longer your standby time will be. I can get 40 to 48 hours of life with only 2 1/2 hours of sot and apps that aren't battery hogs with my m8.

Otherwise, with light to medium use (some YouTube, Web browsing, maybe some music, a few text and phone calls) I get 5 to 6 hours of sot and a total of 14 to 16 hours before she is dead.

But I'll only get 4 hours of sot if I game for 4 hours straight.... And I'll have about only 5% battery left at that point. So no standby and reduced usage if continuous use and battery draining apps.

Screen on time is closely tied together with total time or stand by of the battery.

Andrew also tested his unit on auto not full brightness. Generally auto mode users more battery then manual, and when outside the screen goes even brighter then manual mode.
Also remember that Andrew was using his phone like a normal person. His model had at least his emails and some social media syncing to the phone like a normal user would. Your model was not syncing anything....and just how long did you test the phone for and what apps or things did you do with it while watching the time drop? Or was the screen just on doing nothing?

Not arguing, just want to learn from your brief experience.

You need to calm down. I only said more SoT can be had under continuous usage than mixed use. Where did I say long continuous SoT wouldn't affect stand by time? No need to educate me on that.

I think you are overreacting on Andrew's case. If that bothers you that much, test it yourself within 14 days or just get something else.