Anyone undecided about the S6?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
You need to calm down. I only said more SoT can be had under continuous usage than mixed use. Where did I say long continuous SoT wouldn't affect stand by time? No need to educate me on that.

I think you are overreacting on Andrew's case. If that bothers you that much, test it yourself within 14 days or just get something else.

Calm down about what? I just asked you a question and clarified an issue that I or we may not be understanding.

With that said, what is continuous use as compared to long continuous use?
If the screen is used briefly then you'll get more stand by time. If it's used more continuously or longer then just brief moments, we get less. But what is continuously use of not longer then brief or as you say, mixed use?

Forget about Andrew or my old or current thoughts on battery life for this phone. I'm trying to understand what you are saying.

Posted via Android Central App

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Damn, I've been burned hard by Samsung in the past and my gut is telling me to pass on the S6...

Then there's the other part of me that used the phone and wants to go jump on the pre order bandwagon and get the sapphire.

Sigh.

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. I've read many others reviews that said battery life is more than adequate. Some people are just unrealistic when it comes to battery life on phones. And if the battery really is a concern you can always return it and get something else or just stick with whatever you have now. If you buy the S6 and it doesn't fit your needs you're not stuck with it just bring it back within 14 days and you're good. Nobody is forcing you to use it. Sheesh

I agree with you. I have come to realize that you can't reason with others that lack the capacity to carry on a reasonable discussion where differing opinions are respected and valued. If you don't agree with them, then somehow you are ignorant rube or ridiculed as a cheerleader. Small minds breed immaturity and the inability to see the big picture resulting in senseless, sarcastic rants which they believe can "educate" you to the proper opinion to have.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
A little off topic, although there's been plenty of references to the M9 in this thread, but is everyone reading these reviews? Good lord. I never intended on buying the M9, but these reviews are harsh. Ars Technica decided to bury the damn thing. I'm not sure if they're comparing it to the S6 and just aren't impressed, but this is the kind of stuff that puts a company in dire straights.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
A little off topic, although there's been plenty of references to the M9 in this thread, but is everyone reading these reviews? Good lord. I never intended on buying the M9, but these reviews are harsh. Ars Technica decided to bury the damn thing. I'm not sure if they're comparing it to the S6 and just aren't impressed, but this is the kind of stuff that puts a company in dire straights.

I didn't read Ars Technica. But this PC world review of M9 caught my attention as it shows some interesting comparison with S6 edge on performance and battery.

HTC One M9 review: A disappointingly good phone | PCWorld

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I didn't read Ars Technica. But this PC world review of M9 caught my attention as it shows some interesting comparison with S6 edge on performance and battery.

HTC One M9 review: A disappointingly good phone | PCWorld

In varying degrees, most reviews have the common underlying theme of incremental changes in the. M9 and generally underwhelming overall. Battery life got really hammered for a device with such a huge battery. Hummmmmmm..........bigger not always better.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Disclaimer: preorder shipment estimates a rumor.

Rumor: Samsung Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge U.S. pre-orders double the amount tallied last year

Would be great if true. Means the design choices may be vindicated as they have been bemoaned by some. Apparently, there are more buyers willing to embrace change and aren't bothered by swappable batteries, expandable memory and IP67 ratings. It has always been about the overall performance of the deivce, the big picture, that should be driving the decision not jus a component like the battery.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Disclaimer: preorder shipment estimates a rumor.

Rumor: Samsung Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge U.S. pre-orders double the amount tallied last year

Would be great if true. Means the design choices may be vindicated as they have been bemoaned by some. Apparently, there are more buyers willing to embrace change and aren't bothered by swappable batteries, expandable memory and IP67 ratings. It has always been about the overall performance of the deivce, the big picture, that should be driving the decision not jus a component like the battery.

Please understand that for some people the battery is a very important feature of a phone. I understand you've pre-ordered the device after evalutating the options, and it is the right device for you. Personally, I am reading this forum as my wife would like a new phone. She has a Moto X, so the non-removable battery and micro SD cards are not an issue for her since she "embraced change" already. Her #1 concern is battery life. She wants a phone that she can use from morning until bed time and not worry about having to top off along the way with a wall charger or battery bank like she does now with her Moto X. She does not want a Note 4 due to size. So for me personally, reading the debates back and forth about battery life is actually very helpful to me. Perhaps is not to you, but it is for others, so please let those concerned continue their discussion on this topic. That was the purpose of this thread, for folks to be able to openly debate and talk about potential downsides to the phone separate from the many other threads about some the great features this phone brings, like the camera which might very well be the best in a phone at the moment.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Please understand that for some people the battery is a very important feature of a phone. I understand you've pre-ordered the device after evalutating the options, and it is the right device for you. Personally, I am reading this forum as my wife would like a new phone. She has a Moto X, so the non-removable battery and micro SD cards are not an issue for her since she "embraced change" already. Her #1 concern is battery life. She wants a phone that she can use from morning until bed time and not worry about having to top off along the way with a wall charger or battery bank like she does now with her Moto X. She does not want a Note 4 due to size. So for me personally, reading the debates back and forth about battery life is actually very helpful to me. Perhaps is not to you, but it is for others, so please let those concerned continue their discussion on this topic. That was the purpose of this thread, for folks to be able to openly debate and talk about potential downsides to the phone separate from the many other threads about some the great features this phone brings, like the camera which might very well be the best in a phone at the moment.

I don't think the S6 or S6 Edge is for her, then. It'll be superior to the Moto X, but if her usage is killing the Moto X early, I'm not sure these phones will last her for the duration she's looking for. Right now, I'd say you're looking at between 12-17 hours of usage with between 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours on screen with the S6 or Edge depending on how you use the device.

If that falls into a reasonable usage pattern for her, maybe she'd be okay with it. The other thing is that while some won't have the time, 15 minutes on the charger will likely buy 20-25% extra so that could help, as well.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the S6 or S6 Edge is for her, then. It'll be superior to the Moto X, but if her usage is killing the Moto X early, I'm not sure these phones will last her for the duration she's looking for. Right now, I'd say you're looking at between 12-17 hours of usage with between 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours on screen with the S6 or Edge depending on how you use the device.

If that falls into a reasonable usage pattern for her, maybe she'd be okay with it. The other thing is that while some won't have the time, 15 minutes on the charger will likely buy 20-25% extra so that could help, as well.

I think you may be right, but I'm very interested to see the battery life results and reviews really start to come in. She has a power bank now, and between that and a wall charger, she's never run down to zero, so that's never been a problem. She just gets tired of having to go out of her way sometimes to plug in or remember to bring her battery pack along to top off along the way. And being completely honest, that's not even everyday - maybe every other day or something like that now that the phone is a little older. Performance-wise, any phone she gets will be faster and most likely will have a better camera, so those factors are not as important.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I think you may be right, but I'm very interested to see the battery life results and reviews really start to come in. She has a power bank now, and between that and a wall charger, she's never run down to zero, so that's never been a problem. She just gets tired of having to go out of her way sometimes to plug in or remember to bring her battery pack along to top off along the way. And being completely honest, that's not even everyday - maybe every other day or something like that now that the phone is a little older. Performance-wise, any phone she gets will be faster and most likely will have a better camera, so those factors are not as important.

On second thought, she might be able to get by with one of these phones. Especially if she's not picky about brightness and using a power saving mode. Of course I'd advise reading more reviews, but it sounds like it might be a good idea to try it out for 14 days and see how she fares. As it will most likely be with the majority of us, if the battery life is sufficient, we'd be hard pressed to find a better phone out there.

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Still undecided between the S6 and the M9, but I'm leaning heavily towards the S6. Went back to Best Buy to play with the S6/S6 Edge and I just love how it feels in the hand. I also put it through its paces a bit more. Opening up multiple apps and going to the multitask cards. There was no slow down. The one thing that I did notice that has been mentioned here before was the browser having to redraw pages. Not really sure why it happens, but it happened both in Samsung's browser and Chrome. Not something that would really bother me, but its there.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Still undecided between the S6 and the M9, but I'm leaning heavily towards the S6. Went back to Best Buy to play with the S6/S6 Edge and I just love how it feels in the hand. I also put it through its paces a bit more. Opening up multiple apps and going to the multitask cards. There was no slow down. The one thing that I did notice that has been mentioned here before was the browser having to redraw pages. Not really sure why it happens, but it happened both in Samsung's browser and Chrome. Not something that would really bother me, but its there.

I'm trying to confirm if the update T-Mobile sent out fixed that. Since some have received their phones already, I'd be curious to see if it still redraws.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I just got back from the AT&T store and the S6 looks great. It's a big upgrade from my current HTC One M7, with a bigger and much better screen. Build quality looks very high quality. Seeing the S6 in person has left no doubt that I'll be upgrading to that phone next week!

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site

yep i reported the redrawing on the 2 different s6's i got to try out. i personally find it really annoying, especially for a flagship device with 3 gb of ram and an insane processor. it should NOT be happening ever with this phone.

jojen

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
yep i reported the redrawing on the 2 different s6's i got to try out. i personally find it really annoying, especially for a flagship device with 3 gb of ram and an insane processor. it should NOT be happening ever with this phone.
Has anyone tried 3rd party browsers to test this yet like dolphin or Firefox? I'm curious whether it's all browsing having this problem or just the ones it shipped with.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried 3rd party browsers to test this yet like dolphin or Firefox? I'm curious whether it's all browsing having this problem or just the ones it shipped with.

I was able to replicate it on Chrome, too. This was on a handset with that didn't get the update, either, so I have no idea if the problem still persists. I wasn't too bothered by it, but clearly he was.

jojen

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I was able to replicate it on Chrome, too. This was on a handset with that didn't get the update, either, so I have no idea if the problem still persists. I wasn't too bothered by it, but clearly he was.

Chrome ships with it though, I'm trying to see if the problem is all browsers or just the shipped ones

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay