Anyone undecided about the S6?

kcguy76

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually having a really difficult time deciding which one to get (Edge or Regular S6). While I think the idea and look of the Edge is cool (and actually already have one pre-ordered with Best Buy), for me, the feel in hand and actual quality of the screen, especially right around the edge, is better on the regular S6. Where the glass folds down on the edge to meet the bezel there is some blueish distortion that's quite noticeable, especially on white backgrounds. This would be really noticeable when typing emails and texting (assuming you have white background). I've gone to AT&T and Best buy 5-6 times now to compare the two different phones. Each time I walk away with a little different opinion. Tonight I'm almost convinced to cancel my Edge pre-order and go with the regular S6.

Anyone else have the same quandary ?

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I
I'm actually having a really difficult time deciding which one to get (Edge or Regular S6). While I think the idea and look of the Edge is cool (and actually already have one pre-ordered with Best Buy), for me, the feel in hand and actual quality of the screen, especially right around the edge, is better on the regular S6. Where the glass folds down on the edge to meet the bezel there is some blueish distortion that's quite noticeable, especially on white backgrounds. This would be really noticeable when typing emails and texting (assuming you have white background). I've gone to AT&T and Best buy 5-6 times now to compare the two different phones. Each time I walk away with a little different opinion. Tonight I'm almost convinced to cancel my Edge pre-order and go with the regular S6.

Started out the same but after seeing the Edge in person I'm going with it. The regular one felt more natural in the hand, but the, 2 ND time I went back to use the edge it felt better. I think its just an adjustment that takes getting used to.

Another thing is that I will be using a case. I think the Edge with a case will feel similar to the regular without a case.

My real concern is battery life. Initially I was going to preorder 5 phones for my family members tomorrow but I don't think I am now. I'll get it for myself first and then see if I can recommend it for them. I'll have 14 days to return it if need be. We are coming from S3s but some have extended battery packs and other swap batteries. The inability to do either one probably won't be very welcome to them especially if the battery life isn't good.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Nope. While it looks cool and novel, I couldn't justify the extra $100 per storage level from a value added perspective especially compared to the Note Edge.

kcguy76

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Nope. While it looks cool and novel, I couldn't justify the extra $100 per storage level from a value added perspective especially compared to the Note Edge.

I hear you there. Assuming both cost the same, would you still go with the regular S6?

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Powerbanks? Isn't' that still some form of an extra battery? Rapid charging or wireless charging isn't an option when out in the wilderness for a weekend and not near any AC current. Anybody who had experienced any type of natural disaster i.e. Hurricane Sandy can tell you how much rapid or wireless charging works when there is ABSOLUTELY NO ELECTRICITY.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Powerbanks? Isn't' that still some form of an extra battery? Rapid charging or wireless charging isn't an option when out in the wilderness for a weekend and not near any AC current. Anybody who had experienced any type of natural disaster i.e. Hurricane Sandy can tell you how much rapid or wireless charging works when there is ABSOLUTELY NO ELECTRICITY.

Can't you just take an older S5 (or whatever phone you're upgrading from) out with yourself in the wilderness?

kcguy76

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Now you are upping the ante. I might strongly consider it. I really like the more solid, premium feel of the GS6.

After watching Lisa's review on Mobile Tech, I'm just going to go with what I first wanted, which is the Edge. Having them side by side is one thing, but I think once I start using it every day I'll be glad I went with it. If not, I always have 14 days to change my mind :) That being said, check back with me tomorrow to see if I have changed my mind again ;)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
After watching Lisa's review on Mobile Tech, I'm just going to go with what I first wanted, which is the Edge. Having them side by side is one thing, but I think once I start using it every day I'll be glad I went with it. If not, I always have 14 days to change my mind :) That being said, check back with me tomorrow to see if I have changed my mind again ;)

She may go more in depth on the regular GS6. Stick with your choice. You can't go wrong either way. Economics of my present situation and domestic tranquility are key drivers of my decision not to part with the extra $100.

kcguy76

May 25, 2013
Visit site
She may go more in depth on the regular GS6. Stick with your choice. You can't go wrong either way. Economics of my present situation and domestic tranquility are key drivers of my decision not to part with the extra $100.

That makes perfect sense to me :) Keeping the peace is priceless ;)

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

Good choice. I had a tough time deciding myself but decided with the edge. I'm certain I won't regret it.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

My kids have not fully grasped that keeping domestic tranquility guides many of our decisions!

JustArran

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
After watching the comparisons of S6 and iPhone 6 I am definitely on the fence. I'm not comparing Android vs iOS by any means, but I can see the slight lag being mentioned. Mind you this is coming from a Nexus 5 user, my phone doesn't seem to run that far off from the S6 (based on watching videos, so taken with a lot of skeptisim).

My concern isn't so much the battery (anything will be better than what I've got) but the performance and TW. And while it was promoted initially as a revamp, I agree it seems from a distance Samsung still exists.

I always had an interest in the G3 and I'll wait for the G4, hoping it says under 5.2"...otherwise I don't know what I'll get.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yeah, think I'm with you. I'm going to hold out a little bit for the G4 and pray it is not 5.5" I'm hoping Sony and Motorola release new phones soon as well!

scott5626

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I was all set yesterday to go to Best Buy and preorder today. Regretfully this and other forums brought my excitement back to reality. Here's the reported issues that are deal breakers for me.

Battery life
Speaker tinny and distorts above 70%
Occasional hiccup or lag within touchwiz
What is supposed to be a trimmed down touchwiz has 56 bloatware apps installed 2 more that the Note 4.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I was all set yesterday to go to Best Buy and preorder today. Regretfully this and other forums brought my excitement back to reality. Here's the reported issues that are deal breakers for me.

Battery life
Speaker tinny and distorts above 70%
Occasional hiccup or lag within touchwiz
What is supposed to be a trimmed down touchwiz has 56 bloatware apps installed 2 more that the Note 4.

Have you gone to Best Buy to play with it yet?

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance