S6 Wireless Charging - Fast Charging or Normal Slooooow Charging?

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Wireless charging is slow, reason I dont use it. More of a novelty at this point.

The novelty seems to be working for best buy. It seems like a gimmick. Apparently, you can't use your phone while it's charging. I don't see an advantage

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The novelty seems to be working for best buy. It seems like a gimmick. Apparently, you can't use your phone while it's charging. I don't see an advantage

What about overnight when you are asleep? Sometimes the USB develops a short from being twisted and bent at point where it joins the plug or just under the connection to the phone.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
What about overnight when you are asleep? Sometimes the USB develops a short from being twisted and bent at point where it joins the plug or just under the connection to the phone.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

That would be my only use for it. USB cable are all over my house ready to be replaced. I usually but 10 at a time because they do short out over time

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Will wireless charging recharge the phone from 0% to 100% overnight?

Why not? What would be the purpose in buying it? When I talked to the Samsung rep last weekend, it should take a bit longer to charge. He asked why I would charge overnight on the pad as it would sit idle fully charged for 4-6 hours.

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
Check the wireless charger that you get. If it's a 2A charger, it'll charge at about the speed you were probably used to prior to fast chargers entering the market place. If you get a 1A charger (the Nokia wireless chargers), it'll be very slow. Neither of them will be as fast as using the fast charger though.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Check the wireless charger that you get. If it's a 2A charger, it'll charge at about the speed you were probably used to prior to fast chargers entering the market place. If you get a 1A charger (the Nokia wireless chargers), it'll be very slow. Neither of them will be as fast as using the fast charger though.

Looked on their website. It is coming soon which is probably why I walked out with an order confirmation instead of the pad. It appears that it is 2A.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It would be slower than rapid charger for sure. But I think it will be close to old wired charger depending on the current spec of wireless charging pad.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Why not? What would be the purpose in buying it? When I talked to the Samsung rep last weekend, it should take a bit longer to charge. He asked why I would charge overnight on the pad as it would sit idle fully charged for 4-6 hours.

How is that any different than charging via cable overnight? I plug it in at night, at like 50% or less. I don't wake up in the middle of the night to take it off the charger.... Why would I do that with a wireless charger? That best buy guy sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Posted via Android Central App

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

wireless chargers have low efficiency. 20-30% energy won't make it to the battery.

AndroidBlizzard

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I once was excited by this wireless charging feature but I don't see when I would use it. It is worth the extra 10 seconds to plug in a micro USB charger and have the phone charge in less than an hour as opposed to buying a wireless stand, then putting phone on it, then not being able to use it and also have less efficiency after charging.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
How is that any different than charging via cable overnight? I plug it in at night, at like 50% or less. I don't wake up in the middle of the night to take it off the charger.... Why would I do that with a wireless charger? That best buy guy sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Posted via Android Central App
The point is that the device is fully charged when you wake up but his point was that it is not a slow wireless charger.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I once was excited by this wireless charging feature but I don't see when I would use it. It is worth the extra 10 seconds to plug in a micro USB charger and have the phone charge in less than an hour as opposed to buying a wireless stand, then putting phone on it, then not being able to use it and also have less efficiency after charging.

The wireless charging pad is just another option for charging. You can't blame a manufacturer for having accessories built or sold along with a new model. If you don't like, don't buy it. I am just excited to have this differentiating option especially when you are out and about say at Starbucks?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

I think one major thing is to protect the USB socket of the phone. If you need to charge more frequently, that socket may come loose earlier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci