S6 Wireless Charging - Fast Charging or Normal Slooooow Charging?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I think one major thing is to protect the USB socket of the phone. If you need to charge more frequently, that socket may come loose earlier.

After two years, the USB on my GS4 seems ever so slightly wonky. Doesn't matter though...my GS6 is on the way and the Predators have clinched a playoff spot.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I once was excited by this wireless charging feature but I don't see when I would use it. It is worth the extra 10 seconds to plug in a micro USB charger and have the phone charge in less than an hour as opposed to buying a wireless stand, then putting phone on it, then not being able to use it and also have less efficiency after charging.

Once you have a charging pad at your desk, your end tables, and by your couch, you'll wonder how you got along without it. Just plop it down every time you go into a different room or location in your home and always be charged. No muss or fuss.

And why can't you use your phone on the charging pad?

Posted via Android Central App

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Once you have a charging pad at your desk, your end tables, and by your couch, you'll wonder how you got along without it. Just plop it down every time you go into a different room or location in your home and always be charged. No muss or fuss.

And why can't you use your phone on the charging pad?

Yes, that's what I'm talking about!

Also I just played with both the S6 and S6 Edge and that Samsung wireless charger is sweet. I don't see any reason to actually use it while it's charging on one, I mean... You pick it up to use it and it's not charging anymore so... Yeah.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Wireless charging is slower, but I love it overnight. My wireless charger is a stand so I like it for my night stand and I also like less wear and tear on the USB port. Personally, it is a major factor for me and I'll prefer all phones that have this feature.

BTW - it easily fully charges my phone overnight.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging is slower, but I love it overnight. My wireless charger is a stand so I like it for my night stand and I also like less wear and tear on the USB port. Personally, it is a major factor for me and I'll prefer all phones that have this feature.

BTW - it easily fully charges my phone overnight.

Looking to showing it off when traveling. Being able to sit on a wireless charging pad is awesome. Less need to worry about battery life knowing there are so many options for power.

SlowBloke

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
I once was excited by this wireless charging feature but I don't see when I would use it. It is worth the extra 10 seconds to plug in a micro USB charger and have the phone charge in less than an hour as opposed to buying a wireless stand, then putting phone on it, then not being able to use it and also have less efficiency after charging.

My reasons for looking forward to the option of wireless charging..

Both my SIII and Nexus 7 will only charge via 1 of my chargers now the micro usb connections have a lot of play in them after 2.5 years of use. My car charger wont make connections anymore no matter how much I wiggle.

If it wasnt for that I would stick with the SIII (rooted on lollipop) and just chuck a new battery in it.

Using Wireless charging for the majority of the time should majorly reduce wear and tear of that port.

There are times when I need a quick charge and will go wired but majority of the time the phone can charge at snails pace and its nice and easy to just dump it on a wireless charger without bending over and grabbing wires off the floor :)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
My reasons for looking forward to the option of wireless charging..

Both my SIII and Nexus 7 will only charge via 1 of my chargers now the micro usb connections have a lot of play in them after 2.5 years of use. My car charger wont make connections anymore no matter how much I wiggle.
U
If it wasnt for that I would stick with the SIII (rooted on lollipop) and just chuck a new battery in it.

Using Wireless charging for the majority of the time should majorly reduce wear and tear of that port.

There are times when I need a quick charge and will go wired but majority of the time the phone can charge at snails pace and its nice and easy to just dump it on a wireless charger without bending over and grabbing wires off the floor :)

Concern over loosen or damaging the USB port on the device and the USB cables developing shorts at either are two great reasons for wireless charging. It's not exactly as fast as plugging it in but at 2A, the OEM charging pad that I got with my preorder will be faster than a lot of pads. Other than charging faster, they should make one that allows you to take calls while charging but, as it will primarily be used overnight, that's fine for now.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
If I can get a full day of battery life then I could see myself only using wireless charging. I'll be using the wired charger for quick top ups and for times when I need juice fast. When I'm doing my normal nightly charge, what's the rush? It can charge as slow as it likes.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Why are the best buy pre-order specials of the wireless chargers so popular??

Well there are a couple reasons:

1) If you're a Verizon customer, it's your only choice so far.

2) A free wireless charger is better than nothing or a discount off another purchase. If you're paying the same no matter where you get it, why wouldn't you want the free stuff that comes with it?

I may end up cancelling my Best Buy pre-order due to having to pick up in the store depending on Verizons pre-order process though.

flamingoezz

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Its akin to a docking station for a laptop...if you're going to plop your phone down when going to bed, why not make it easy. it may lead to an eventual removal of ports from phones, making waterproofing easier. apple is doing the same with their new laptops -- everything going wireless.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I use it with my s5. I have it wireless charge overnight. If I need to top it off during the day, which is rare. I plug it in.

Posted via the Android Central App

Grizzly HP2

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
This video on YT the guy says it will charge for 50% in 10 minutes ? ? ? ? (or did he say 15%)

I can post directly so you have to search with "Samsung S6 - Wirelss Charging, Drop Test & Scratch Resistant" uploaded by Trakinvideos.
I am new here, and come from the Netherlands, so I may make some mistakes in writing English. (sorry about that)
I orderd the S6 and in Holland we have a deal that we can get the wireless charger for free from Samsung when we put in the pre order before 4-10-2015. (no matter where we buy it)

So I am counting the days :)

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Depends on how you look at it. As a condition of the pre-order, you have to purchase a $50 gift card which can be used to purchase the device and is like a deposit of sorts.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Looking to showing it off when traveling. Being able to sit on a wireless charging pad is awesome. Less need to worry about battery life knowing there are so many options for power unless you don't have access to power.

FTFY

(not trying to start anything, but it's true)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Attachments

• wireless1.jpg
    wireless1.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 25
  • wireless2.jpg
    wireless2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 24

ron561

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
The wireless charging isn't lighting fast, but it isn't that slow either. It's definitely great when you're at the office and you're moving around a lot. Allows you to get a few percent in here and there without having to plug/unplug every time. I did this today lol.