Double tap to wake?

elysm1

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible? This is a feature that I have really been missing.

Posted via the Android Central App

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
There's a button. Single tap to wake. I can see wanting doubletap when you don't have hardware buttons on the front to use as a wake, but you got a nice big home button on Samsungs, that's why they never did it.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I admit its a pretty useful feature as I use it on my Z3. I don't think its a native feature on the S6, but there are apps that can allow you to do this

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The home button negate the need for double tap to wake.

It's a nice feature for phones that don't have a home button on the face of the device, but I don't think it's necessary for the S6.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

It's a nice feature for phones that don't have a home button on the face of the device, but I don't think it's necessary for the S6.

alternative waking method is still needed since both home and power button may stop working through time.

elysm1

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

I didn't create this thread to argue the usefulness, or necessity of the feature. I created it because I believe it's a useful feature despite the physical home button and would like to find a compromise.

elysm1

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe an update to use one of the volume buttons or both.

I know it sounds silly to most, but I just want to be able to double tap to wake.....it's simple and easy, there's no fumbling around for physical buttons; you pick up the phone, double tap wherever and the phone wakes up. It's a feature that I would put on par with the double tap home button to wake the camera on the s6. I may be in the minority.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I know it sounds silly to most, but I just want to be able to double tap to wake.....it's simple and easy, there's no fumbling around for physical buttons; you pick up the phone, double tap wherever and the phone wakes up. It's a feature that I would put on par with the double tap home button to wake the camera on the s6. I may be in the minority.

Not silly. Be patient in the interim.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

It's not silly per-se, but the availability of the hardware home button as a wake method is a very good reason why they haven't expended effort in the area. And having to keep the touch layer active all the time like that probably has a battery life penalty (how significant I have no idea).

elysm1

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not silly per-se, but the availability of the hardware home button as a wake method is a very good reason why they haven't expended effort in the area. And having to keep the touch layer active all the time like that probably has a battery life penalty (how significant I have no idea).

That's a good point, and one that I hadn't really considered.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
This is a feature that I have really been missing

I hear you. My main device is an LG G3 that also has the "double tap to wake" feature. It's so instinctive when I use another device (my S4 that I sometimes switch to, or when I borrow/use someone else's phone) I automatically doubletap the screen and then stare at it confused for a second or 2 when the screen doesn't come on!

Home button wake is fine - and it doesn't take me long to re-learn to use it instead of doubletap, but it sure is convenient!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Yeah fair enough. I get what you're saying. It's a nice feature, but the home button negates the need for it. If they did include it, it kind of wouldn't have made sense.

I actually think an even better feature would be if the screen would wake up if you looked at it. So if it's on the bench stable, you pick it up - it detects that it's been moved, then it activates the front facing camera, it detects you're looking at the phone, then it wakes the screen up.

Kind of like Smart Stay (where the screen doesn't turn off if you're looking at it), but for waking up the screen. Don't know if that's a smart feature or not, but I think it would be kinda cool.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692