04-06-2015 07:32 PM
109 1234 ...
tools
    Actually the better idea is to turn off your phone when you're not using it!

Seriously,that's a ridiculous solution, these devices should be able to handle syncing without committing suicide.

Posted via the Android Central App
    I would do this but I use my device as an Alarm...thats my only problem.
    03-31-2015 12:18 PM
    Actually the better idea is to turn off your phone when you're not using it!

Seriously,that's a ridiculous solution, these devices should be able to handle syncing without committing suicide.

Jesus, getting data off equals suicide now? sit down and think hard what you need your smartphone for.

I am sure there are people who need emails, facebook, videochat, whatsapp every minute of the day. But I am also sure there are many many people out there, to whom every 15min email, facebook, twitter, instagram push notification means next to nothing. For them, what purpose does wasted battery serve?
    bgl321 likes this.
    03-31-2015 12:19 PM
    Jesus, getting data off equals suicide now? sit down and think hard what you need your smartphone for.
    They're just phones, some people need to get their heads out of them and stop the time wasting distractions.
    bgl321 likes this.
    03-31-2015 12:30 PM
    Anyway, to the OP, is your phone searching for a signal at night or are you in a strong signal area?
    03-31-2015 12:30 PM
    The thing is a bit more complex, the battery performance is generally improved on sammy devices when they are updated to lollipop (properly). My note 3 is doing better than before.

So, although I do think google is putting too many connected services and apps, and harasssing those who try to turn data off, lollipop alone may not be responsible for poor battery life on this year's flashship.

For s6, smaller battery has a big role. for M9, cutting corners on PSR is a big mistake.
    I have not seen anyone claiming S5 got noticeably better battery after Lollipop update. About the same as KitKat at best with proper install, FDR, etc. Many similar situations with other phones as well.

I think your case is lucky exception. or maybe it's because you disabled all Google apps? Most people don't do that. Though I disable Google+, that's it and I don't go as far as disabling search, maps, gmail because that's like defeating purpose of using android phone.
    03-31-2015 12:32 PM
    Nevermind the "morals" (lol) of leaving your phone on or off.... I hate to compare it, but my LTE iPad can sit for days at the same percentage. I've never owned an iphone but I doubt they have as great of standby. I just wish I could get something close on my phone.
    03-31-2015 12:32 PM
    Just read TechRadar's review and it said his unit only lost 5% standby power after he left it unplugged overnight so something definitely is eating your battery. He also said Google Play services plays a big part in battery consumption. Turn that off if you dont need it and battery life should improve alot.
    03-31-2015 12:38 PM
    I have not seen anyone claiming S5 got noticeably better battery after Lollipop update. About the same as KitKat at best with proper install, FDR, etc. Many similar situations with other phones as well.

I think your case is lucky exception. or maybe it's because you disabled all Google apps? Most people don't do that. Though I disable Google+, that's it and I don't go as far as disabling search, maps, gmail because that's like defeating purpose of using android phone.
    on Note 4, there are posting stating both better/worse batteris after LP update. Many with worse battery reported that a hardreset or cache wipe helps.

Its difficult to be accurate with s5, considering the batteries in most of s5 are one year old, and system cumulated a lot of junks. Both of which would have naturally degraded battery performance significantly, so the benifit of any OS-related battery improvement won't be obvious. For s5, a hardreset maybe necessary after update. Run down test does show that its battery benifits from Lollipop.

btw, My disabling of most google apps does contribute to battery's good standby formance. I still enjoy the semi-openness of android, with alternative apps. In most cases, I think they are better than what google has to offer..

Aquamail: blackbackground, easy deletion/mark as read
    Firefox+blackbackground
    Here map: night mode, offline map
    03-31-2015 12:44 PM

I am sure there are people who need emails, facebook, videochat, whatsapp every minute of the day. But I am also sure there are many many people out there, to whom every 15min email, facebook, twitter, instagram push notification means next to nothing. For them, what purpose does wasted battery serve?
    For those that may need to save battery sure .. If you aren't having battery issues what does it hurt to use the battery? It can be restored by a simple charge.

I just don't want to have to toggle data on every time I want a new notification or to do something. That is super inconvenient.

Edit - To add on .. as you said many many don't need notifications but .. the same could be said for many many not needing to same battery that bad (as in not going home with a dead phone). It really depends on the need of the person. Either way .. I have never had super drains due to some syncs running in the background.
    03-31-2015 12:54 PM
    A phone should not lose that much battery over night no matter what options are left on. The firmware is not correct and it's not okay because you can charge faster or you should turn off data when you sleep.
    03-31-2015 12:55 PM

Sounds like you've accepted using a device with horrible battery life.

03-31-2015 01:01 PM
    They're just phones, some people need to get their heads out of them and stop the time wasting distractions.
    You wouldn't be here commenting on this thread if they were "just" phones .

03-31-2015 01:02 PM
    Nevermind the "morals" (lol) of leaving your phone on or off.... I hate to compare it, but my LTE iPad can sit for days at the same percentage. I've never owned an iphone but I doubt they have as great of standby. I just wish I could get something close on my phone.
    They have pretty good standby time.

Techno-guy likes this.
    03-31-2015 01:03 PM
    Well ofc a tablet won't have as good as a phone (or usually shouldn't due to the battery being bigger). My iPhone 6+ lasts pretty good but doesn't touch my gf's iPad Air 2 .. that thing can go forever.
    03-31-2015 01:04 PM
    It also depends on your carrier and their coverage. I assume you have t mobile.....

03-31-2015 01:40 PM
    I posted this over the Edge Forums, but will post it here just for your information.

As you can see in the following thread I created last year, when most users where getting 5 hours SoT at most, I was managing to get 6.5 and some days up to 7 hours, using a Samsung Gear 2 Neo basically all day. It was reducing little by little and by the time I got my Moto 360 and sold my Gear 2 Neo I was getting about 6 hours at most, but even then it was great compared to the others.

I don't have an S6 or S6 Edge yet as I'm waiting for the T-mobile to have them, but you can take a look at the things I did with the S5 and see if you can try to do similar stuff on the S6 and see if it helps in General with the Battery Life.

Also, over the Edge forums thread that I posted this, somebody posted something I totally forgot about it and is the Lockout Security Apps, in simple words, you don't need it, that and the other "Optimization" app Samsung included, those apps what they most of the time do is to drain your battery, so try disabling both of them in addition to the ones I posted in the following link that may still showing on the galaxy S6 and S6 Edge.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...m-getting.html
    03-31-2015 01:53 PM
    In other words disable disable disable. These new devices are pretty amazing,but there are so some sacrifices that comes along with them

There's a supercharger for a reason I guess.

03-31-2015 02:28 PM
    It also depends on your carrier and their coverage. I assume you have t mobile.....

Just because you have said carrier doesn't mean that is instantly the cause ... You act like Verizon can't have a low signal in areas that kill power ^_^.
    03-31-2015 02:31 PM
    I posted this over the Edge Forums, but will post it here just for your information.

As you can see in the following thread I created last year, when most users where getting 5 hours SoT at most, I was managing to get 6.5 and some days up to 7 hours, using a Samsung Gear 2 Neo basically all day. It was reducing little by little and by the time I got my Moto 360 and sold my Gear 2 Neo I was getting about 6 hours at most, but even then it was great compared to the others.

I don't have an S6 or S6 Edge yet as I'm waiting for the T-mobile to have them, but you can take a look at the things I did with the S5 and see if you can try to do similar stuff on the S6 and see if it helps in General with the Battery Life.

Also, over the Edge forums thread that I posted this, somebody posted something I totally forgot about it and is the Lockout Security Apps, in simple words, you don't need it, that and the other "Optimization" app Samsung included, those apps what they most of the time do is to drain your battery, so try disabling both of them in addition to the ones I posted in the following link that may still showing on the galaxy S6 and S6 Edge.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...m-getting.html
    I was informed by Andrew that Clean Master can't be disabled. Is that not true?

Posted via Android Central App
    03-31-2015 02:47 PM
    In other words disable disable disable. These new devices are pretty amazing,but there are so some sacrifices that comes along with them

You can have your way with your phone, but you should not reject others' ideas. It comes as somehow your usage habit is best for everyone. If you don't want your phone to last longer at the expense of being connected every freaking minute of the day, don't use it. Nobody is forcing you.

I hope you know that repeated charges at rapid frequency is not gonna be good for batetry longevity, it wasn't a problem before, but with sealed battery, it is an issue now.
    03-31-2015 02:50 PM
    I was informed by Andrew that Clean Master can't be disabled. Is that not true?

Posted via Android Central App
    I don't know as I don't have one yet, will be great to know about this and I really hope it can be disabled...
    03-31-2015 02:50 PM

As you can see, what I'm saying is simple, I'll never ever use any of the features or apps I'm disabling so why let them installed, running and draining my battery?

Why do I need to let the brightness at 80 or even 50% if with 20% and Auto Brightness when I'm outdoors, I'm perfectly set?

That's all I'm saying...
    03-31-2015 02:54 PM
    I disagree. I have always left syncs on and never had an issue with previous phones.
    I agree with you.
    03-31-2015 03:03 PM

Does anyone yet know for a fact, Lookout Security App, CleanMaster App, etc., can be removed or disabled ? Both totally unneeded in my opinion, FWIW.
    03-31-2015 03:19 PM
    The everyday buyer isn't going to know how, or even know there's a way to disable all this stuff to make their battery last. The only thing they'll understand is their phone is giving them poor battery life.
    03-31-2015 03:20 PM
109 1234 ...