How is your standby? Lost 30% last night....

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I normally plug my phone in at night, but I wanted to see how standby was last night so I left it unplugged. Went to bed at about 93%, woke up to 60%. Battery usage said Cell Standby was the largest eater of my battery.

Nothing was going on in the background except normal sync. I already installed the day 1 OTA and updated/installed my regular apps.

-Dave, T-Mobile

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
That's not good. With sync enabled and wifi on my S5, I lose 10% give or take a few

Posted via the Android Central App

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Will be interesting to see what others have to say. Depending on how proactive you want to be, you could try to do a factory reset and see if there was some glitch with the install. Or you can wait to see if this is a common issue. Either way, it will obviously be fixed, and sooner rather than later. Losing that much on cell standby when the phone hits the masses will not go over well.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I am just gonna keep repeating myself.

Turn off sync and data when not in use.

Google is making attempt all the time to get you connected. In lollipop, simple data toggle is gutted so many power management apps stop functioning.

You need to manually stop Google, otherwise it will just kill your battery.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Google is making attempt all the time to get you connected. In lollipop, simple data toggle is gutted so many power management apps stop functioning.

I always tell people this. All those Google apps you don't use are set to sync by default. That's such a waste of battery life.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

I have my Nexus 5 fully syncing throughout the night (including Google) and even with its crappy battery i wake up to only a loss of 5-10% max. I dont consider what you're stating is a proper solution but just masking the problem. The likelyhood is the device and its battery are getting accustomed to the software which takes a few days.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I have my Nexus 5 fully syncing throughout the night (including Google) and even with its crappy battery i wake up to only a loss of 5-10% max. I dont consider what you're stating is a proper solution but just masking the problem. The likelyhood is the device and its battery are getting accustomed to the software which takes a few days.
and you consider 10% loss acceptable?

Not in my book. My note 3 loses less than 2% overnight.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you don't use Google+ app, make sure it doesn't sync in background. You can uncheck everything on Google+, google play on account sync setting. But it's best to go into Google+ app setting and sign out from there. Google wants it running on your phone, so they made it hard to find in setting but it's still there for you to sign out. But I leave other google apps like Gmail, Search, Maps enabled and they don't seem to harm stand by time much. I normally wake up with about 4~5% lost in my S5. If you use Facebook, Twitter apps in default setting, they can hurt stand by too.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I disagree. I have always left syncs on and never had an issue with previous phones.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
It's probably cause you just updated. Give the OS a day or so and it should settle down

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am going to update my phone when I get it today, factory reset it, then setup .. Just to ensure no shenanigans arise :).

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

I have another idea. Install permissions manager app and deny all the "keep awake" permissions. I didn't do it at first because it wasn't as much of an issue on Kit Kat but it has been on Lollipop. Huge difference. My phone is 2 years old. It isn't the S6.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....ovmobile.appopslauncher&hl=en&token=BQLOF-0l

Last edited:

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am beginning to think all these so so battery lives on new phones this year (G flex 2, M9, S6) are mainly due to Lollipop 5.0x. General consensus seems that it's worse than KitKat on stand by. So the ball is on Google's side to fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34