How is your standby? Lost 30% last night....

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
^ agreed. Personally, to avoid too much data usage while I snooze and to prevent superfluous notifications waking me up, I use Tasker to switch off data connections at a certain time each night. If work calls or someone sends me a text I get it, but all the other stuff is off till the next morn. Not exactly a *solution* per se, but it addresses the issue somewhat.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I am beginning to think all these so so battery lives on new phones this year (G flex 2, M9, S6) are mainly due to Lollipop 5.0x. General consensus seems that it's worse than KitKat on stand by. So the ball is on Google's side to fix it.

The thing is a bit more complex, the battery performance is generally improved on sammy devices when they are updated to lollipop (properly). My note 3 is doing better than before.

So, although I do think google is putting too many connected services and apps, and harasssing those who try to turn data off, lollipop alone may not be responsible for poor battery life on this year's flashship.

For s6, smaller battery has a big role. for M9, cutting corners on PSR is a big mistake.

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I am just gonna keep repeating myself.

Turn off sync and data when not in use.

Google is making attempt all the time to get you connected. In lollipop, simple data toggle is gutted so many power management apps stop functioning.

You need to manually stop Google, otherwise it will just kill your battery.

Actually the better idea is to turn off your phone when you're not using it!

Seriously,that's a ridiculous solution, these devices should be able to handle syncing without committing suicide.

Posted via the Android Central App

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I am just gonna keep repeating myself.

Turn off sync and data when not in use.

Google is making attempt all the time to get you connected. In lollipop, simple data toggle is gutted so many power management apps stop functioning.

You need to manually stop Google, otherwise it will just kill your battery.

Though this may have some sort of effect, I doubt it's a main issue. I have my Z3 syncing 24/7 and it doesn't kill my battery. I'm sure its other things that are causing it.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Seriously,that's a ridiculous solution, these devices should be able to handle syncing without committing suicide.

I agree! I know this isn't an answer and sounds more like an excuse, but the quick charging almost makes up for it if standby remains bad. It really is quick. Even on a wireless pad at 1AMP it seems faster than usual.

Last edited by a moderator:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

I would do this but I use my device as an Alarm...thats my only problem.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Jesus, getting data off equals suicide now? sit down and think hard what you need your smartphone for.

I am sure there are people who need emails, facebook, videochat, whatsapp every minute of the day. But I am also sure there are many many people out there, to whom every 15min email, facebook, twitter, instagram push notification means next to nothing. For them, what purpose does wasted battery serve?

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The thing is a bit more complex, the battery performance is generally improved on sammy devices when they are updated to lollipop (properly). My note 3 is doing better than before.

So, although I do think google is putting too many connected services and apps, and harasssing those who try to turn data off, lollipop alone may not be responsible for poor battery life on this year's flashship.

For s6, smaller battery has a big role. for M9, cutting corners on PSR is a big mistake.

I have not seen anyone claiming S5 got noticeably better battery after Lollipop update. About the same as KitKat at best with proper install, FDR, etc. Many similar situations with other phones as well.

I think your case is lucky exception. or maybe it's because you disabled all Google apps? Most people don't do that. Though I disable Google+, that's it and I don't go as far as disabling search, maps, gmail because that's like defeating purpose of using android phone.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Nevermind the "morals" (lol) of leaving your phone on or off.... I hate to compare it, but my LTE iPad can sit for days at the same percentage. I've never owned an iphone but I doubt they have as great of standby. I just wish I could get something close on my phone. :)

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Just read TechRadar's review and it said his unit only lost 5% standby power after he left it unplugged overnight so something definitely is eating your battery. He also said Google Play services plays a big part in battery consumption. Turn that off if you dont need it and battery life should improve alot.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I have not seen anyone claiming S5 got noticeably better battery after Lollipop update. About the same as KitKat at best with proper install, FDR, etc. Many similar situations with other phones as well.

I think your case is lucky exception. or maybe it's because you disabled all Google apps? Most people don't do that. Though I disable Google+, that's it and I don't go as far as disabling search, maps, gmail because that's like defeating purpose of using android phone.

on Note 4, there are posting stating both better/worse batteris after LP update. Many with worse battery reported that a hardreset or cache wipe helps.

Its difficult to be accurate with s5, considering the batteries in most of s5 are one year old, and system cumulated a lot of junks. Both of which would have naturally degraded battery performance significantly, so the benifit of any OS-related battery improvement won't be obvious. For s5, a hardreset maybe necessary after update. Run down test does show that its battery benifits from Lollipop.

btw, My disabling of most google apps does contribute to battery's good standby formance. I still enjoy the semi-openness of android, with alternative apps. In most cases, I think they are better than what google has to offer.. :D

Aquamail: blackbackground, easy deletion/mark as read
Firefox+blackbackground
Here map: night mode, offline map

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Jesus, getting data off equals suicide now? sit down and think hard what you need your smartphone for.

I am sure there are people who need emails, facebook, videochat, whatsapp every minute of the day. But I am also sure there are many many people out there, to whom every 15min email, facebook, twitter, instagram push notification means next to nothing. For them, what purpose does wasted battery serve?

For those that may need to save battery sure .. If you aren't having battery issues what does it hurt to use the battery? It can be restored by a simple charge.

I just don't want to have to toggle data on every time I want a new notification or to do something. That is super inconvenient.

Edit - To add on .. as you said many many don't need notifications but .. the same could be said for many many not needing to same battery that bad (as in not going home with a dead phone). It really depends on the need of the person. Either way .. I have never had super drains due to some syncs running in the background.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
A phone should not lose that much battery over night no matter what options are left on. The firmware is not correct and it's not okay because you can charge faster or you should turn off data when you sleep.

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

Sounds like you've accepted using a device with horrible battery life.

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Nevermind the "morals" (lol) of leaving your phone on or off.... I hate to compare it, but my LTE iPad can sit for days at the same percentage. I've never owned an iphone but I doubt they have as great of standby. I just wish I could get something close on my phone. :)

They have pretty good standby time.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well ofc a tablet won't have as good as a phone (or usually shouldn't due to the battery being bigger). My iPhone 6+ lasts pretty good but doesn't touch my gf's iPad Air 2 .. that thing can go forever.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey