How is your standby? Lost 30% last night....

ballaonnabudget

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
This thread is making me worried about my decision to switch over from windows phone. I get 1 to 1.5 days easily with moderate use. I guess i'll have to see for myself.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I refuse to micromanage my device and/or apps in order to be able to make it through a normal day without worrying about finding a charger. I do have some external batteries for oddball days, but if the device has issues making it through a normal day without dropping below 20-25% then the device is at fault, not the usage case. "Normal" varies by user, but if your having issues you can either compromise on what the device is or you can get a better device or you can amend your usage habits to be more proactive in charging strategies.... such as that overnight period where we're trying to figure out if it should drain 1% or 10% or 40%... that's a great opportunity to have it on a charger and not worry about it.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I refuse to micromanage my device and/or apps in order to be able to make it through a normal day without worrying about finding a charger. I do have some external batteries for oddball days, but if the device has issues making it through a normal day without dropping below 20-25% then the device is at fault, not the usage case. "Normal" varies by user, but if your having issues you can either compromise on what the device is or you can get a better device or you can amend your usage habits to be more proactive in charging strategies.... such as that overnight period where we're trying to figure out if it should drain 1% or 10% or 40%... that's a great opportunity to have it on a charger and not worry about it.

Smartphone is like a computer nowadays, micromanaging apps and system is nothing special and should not be discouraged. There is nothing compromising in refusing google access to your data 24/7. In fact, its good habit for user and the phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Smartphone is like a computer nowadays, micromanaging apps and system is nothing special and should not be discouraged. There is nothing compromising in refusing google access to your data 24/7. In fact, its good habit for user and the phone.
I don't have any issues with choosing not to use the ecosystems or any specific apps or settings. What I'm saying is that I will not change settings from what I want to something else in order to eek out a few extra minutes or hours of battery. If I have to do that, the device is not up to par.

Nice N Sticky

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
This thread is making me worried about my decision to switch over from windows phone. I get 1 to 1.5 days easily with moderate use. I guess i'll have to see for myself.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't the least bit worried. Coming from a Lumia 1520 which has superb battery life might be difficult if I can't make it through an entire work day with an S6.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't the least bit worried. Coming from a Lumia 1520 which has superb battery life might be difficult if I can't make it through an entire work day with an S6.

I have a 1520 that I recently retired (but am keeping it to play with the Windows 10 update) and have owned the S6 edge since Monday. The edge is nowhere near the 1520 battery life. The 1520 battery life is phenomenal, like the iPhone 6 plus.

So far, since Monday, my S6 edge been dropping like a rock on standby - roughly 4-5% per hour doing nothing but mostly sitting there on a strong WiFi network. Biggest culprits are Cell Standby and system apps like Android System, System UI and something called Cocktailbar service. No third party apps are causing the battery depletion.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1520 that I recently retired (but am keeping it to play with the Windows 10 update) and have owned the S6 edge since Monday. The edge is nowhere near the 1520 battery life. The 1520 battery life is phenomenal, like the iPhone 6 plus.

So far, since Monday, my S6 edge been dropping like a rock on standby - roughly 4-5% per hour doing nothing but mostly sitting there on a strong WiFi network. Biggest culprits are Cell Standby and system apps like Android System, System UI and something called Cocktailbar service. No third party apps are causing the battery depletion.

You may have answered this already, but did you factory reset after you updated it?

Posted via the Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

While I agree with you in principal, this is not 2012 or an iPhone forum. I haven't needed to do this stuff on any flagship fur the past 2 or 3 years and I'm not going to start now.

Posted via Android Central App

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Got mine yesterday. After playing with it for a while and charged it fully to 100% I left it unplugged when I went to bed to test standby time. From 11pm to 7am it only dropped 5%. Thats with sync and wifi on, location and bluetooth were off. I say that's about normal. If you're experiencing a 30% drop something is definitely wrong try a hard reset.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Cocktailbar service make sense in your case because there was an issue also when Galaxy Note Edge was released, it seems that it controls the Alarm widget and other stuff in your edges. I say that it make sense because in your case the biggest culprits are services that are running when is on Standby and the screen off.

Question, when you go to your Battery Stats and click on the battery Graphic, it should show you the bars for Mobile Network Signal, Wifi, Awake Screen on and Charging, how are your Mobile Network Signal and your Awake bars? This will clearly show you if your problem is because of a bad cell signal (I'd suggest you to return it and get a new one to see if is better) and the Awake bar will show you that your phone is or not in standby mode, if it's always awake, you have an app at fault and that's where the GSAM battery monitor can pinpoint it for your. But looking at the post just above this one, where it is dropping just 5% all night, just like most of people that have the phone right now, I think that you have or a very bad cell signal where you rest at night or a faulty phone, either way if it was me, I've done a Full reset (Via recovery Mode not via the Software menu) and see if it gets better, if not, return it to T-Mobile and ask for a new one.

I found this thread here on AC that can give you an idea.

Also, something I read last week and have forgotten until now, it seems that there is a confirmed bug affecting S Health and Google Fit, if you have Google Fit installed and set it seems that you must disable the Activity Detection of it because if not the Blood Pressure always stays on, looking to scan. Not necessarily your case but mentioning here just in case.

Let us know, good luck.

ballaonnabudget

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Like someone said above I'm not going to sit and micromanage A PHONE all day. I have a million better things to do. If it doesn't give me all day life with my usage its going back. I'm not gonna be monitoring, disabling and turning off stuff. This was the reason I left android 4 years ago and it would be sad if this is still the case.

ballaonnabudget

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea I'm not gonna be searching forums, disabling apps, monitoring and turning off functionality to get battery life. This was the reason I left android 4 years ago and if I can't get all day life with basic smartphone functions (WiFi, Bluetooth and location) then android is still not the OS for me.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
When you have others with better battery life than yours, you should do your part on investigating what is causing it, it may be a simple thing or you may easily got a faulty phone, then you can be sure that with a Factory Reset or getting a new one you will be set as expected.

If you don't like that then you have all rights to just return it, but problem with that is that you'll always think that there is something wrong with Android and have a bad taste about all the situation. So, as you can see what I'm saying is that maybe with a couple of adjustments here and there you can find and fix your issues and still enjoy the great phone you just bought.

I'm seeing Screenshots of people here with very good battery life with what it seems to sustain for over 5.5 of SoT, even here there are people posting screenshots of battery Stats that clearly shows that will last at least 4.5 hours of SoT, and that is very good for the specs this phone has.

But again, it's up to you, you do what you gotta do.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Yea I'm not gonna be searching forums, disabling apps, monitoring and turning off functionality to get battery life. This was the reason I left android 4 years ago and if I can't get all day life with basic smartphone functions (WiFi, Bluetooth and location) then android is still not the OS for me.

While Ive had similar battery life on all platforms (iPhone 5S, Nexus 5, Lumia 920 prior to 8.1), expect the iPhone on ios7 had better standby, I completely agree having the sacrifice necessary features to get through the day is unacceptable. I'm by no means a heavy user and I have struggles with my nexus 5 and moving to the S6 I expect to have a much better battery life...get to the end of the day with a good chunk left. I have all my services running, refuse to turn them off. If S6 performs same as my nexus 5 I'd return it, I expect much more from a flagship device.

flamingoezz

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
my stance is that 5 days a week I leave my house, go to work and sit at a desk for 8 hours. there are tons of opportunities to charge 80% of the time. Even on weekends where I'm in the car driving somewhere are of little concern.

The only time I may have issue is if I goto the city or am out all day. In that case, I plan on using the power saving settings when I'm not using the phone. That should alleviate the 2% of the time that my charge wouldn't normally last a day.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Like someone said above I'm not going to sit and micromanage A PHONE all day. I have a million better things to do. If it doesn't give me all day life with my usage its going back. I'm not gonna be monitoring, disabling and turning off stuff. This was the reason I left android 4 years ago and it would be sad if this is still the case.

Agree 100%. However, personally I'd just go to another Android device, iOS for me is unbearable.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I did a hard reset yesterday. I'll leave it off the chargee again tonight and see what happens....

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I did a hard reset yesterday. I'll leave it off the chargee again tonight and see what happens....

Have you checked the settings I have posted in other threads?, I'm talking about just turning off Smart Network Switching and Always Scanning, both totally unneeded Wifi Settings.

Also, so far, the only phones on Customer hands are T-Mobile ones,, by default, wifi calling is turned on, according to other people over XDA they have turned off Wifi calling and in some cases it has gotten a lot better, so it seems that it may be some kind of a T-Mobile bug that can be affecting Standby battery stats.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked the settings I have posted in other threads?, I'm talking about just turning off Smart Network Switching and Always Scanning, both totally unneeded Wifi Settings.

Also, so far, the only phones on Customer hands are T-Mobile ones,, by default, wifi calling is turned on, according to other people over XDA they have turned off Wifi calling and in some cases it has gotten a lot better, so it seems that it may be some kind of a T-Mobile bug that can be affecting Standby battery stats.

That's what I'm reading, I would try the above advice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1