Early S6 users, how's your battery life?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my second S6 and I am nowhere near these awesome stats. I could end up with maybe 3 hours SOT and about 11 hours total before going dead. I am a HEAVY facebook user so I think that is the problem. I use the app not in the web browser. I have done the other tips and tricks. This was also a problem on my iphone 6. Same thing....husband could go all day because he doesn't use facebook app. Darn facebook.

I highly recommend the settings that smooth4lyfe posted earlier as they are exactly the tweaks I use on my AT&T phone. I'm gonna repost them here incase you missed it...

- Brightness = 20% (Still visible at all times of the day)
- HD Voice = OFF (This fixed my "Cell Drain" problem; AT&T)
- Location = Mobile and Wifi only
- ShutApp to clear background running apps
- Google Location History = OFF
- Power Saving Mode = Activated at 15% battery

I also use Shutapp to make sure that some pesky apps aren't running in the background, and it has a good white list so your keyboard or other nessasery things doesn't get black listed and default to stock. This is a manual app that you need to use once a day as it doesn't run in the background and further eat your battery. It has helped me get 30 to 60 extra mins of screen on time.

If you try this and still have issues please tell us what carrier you are on and we'll try to give you some more help to get you some better battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my second S6 and I am nowhere near these awesome stats. I could end up with maybe 3 hours SOT and about 11 hours total before going dead. I am a HEAVY facebook user so I think that is the problem. I use the app not in the web browser. I have done the other tips and tricks. This was also a problem on my iphone 6. Same thing....husband could go all day because he doesn't use facebook app. Darn facebook.

Facebook App is a battery drainer for sure. Why not try Facebook from your Web Browser for a day or two and see how that goes.

katiheefner

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I highly recommend the settings that smooth4lyfe posted earlier as they are exactly the tweaks I use on my AT&T phone. I'm gonna repost them here incase you missed it...

- Brightness = 20% (Still visible at all times of the day)
- HD Voice = OFF (This fixed my "Cell Drain" problem; AT&T)
- Location = Mobile and Wifi only
- ShutApp to clear background running apps
- Google Location History = OFF
- Power Saving Mode = Activated at 15% battery

I also use Shutapp to make sure that some pesky apps aren't running in the background, and it has a good white list so your keyboard or other nessasery things doesn't get black listed and default to stock. This is a manual app that you need to use once a day as it doesn't run in the background and further eat your battery. It has helped me get 30 to 60 extra mins of screen on time.

If you try this and still have issues please tell us what carrier you are on and we'll try to give you some more help to get you some better battery life.

I've done all of those aside from the app and have screen to auto.

anon(67796)

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Here is my usage today. Don't know what to think.

Attachments

• 96.jpg
    96.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 97.jpg
    97.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 223

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

FB is going to go the way of Myspace as Zuckerberg doesn't seem to care how badly his app works nor that the non-chronological feed is horrible.

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could get those 4-5 SOT. I'm lucky to get 2-3 hours. Usually 9-10 hours between charges. I'm thinking of returning because of the battery life. I feel like I always need to be near a charger

Attachments

• 1430671039353.jpg
    1430671039353.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 65

katiheefner

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I wish I could get those 4-5 SOT. I'm lucky to get 2-3 hours. Usually 9-10 hours between charges. I'm thinking of returning because of the battery life. I feel like I always need to be near a charger

I'm with you there but my iPhone 6 was about the same and I don't want a huge phone. I don't mind charging once.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

This battery life is not normal. I would factory reset and follow the recommendations here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ife-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-5.html#post4402822 and see where you wind up before returning the phone. Once the drain from Google Play Services resolved, I am back to getting good battery life again.

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I've done all those things recommended. I've even exchanged a phone because my first S6 wasn't charging properly I'm going back to my G3 and I'll probably pick up a G4 when it's out. It's a really nice phone but the battery life isn't for me.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Facebook App is a battery drainer for sure. Why not try Facebook from your Web Browser for a day or two and see how that goes.

I heard about this in the past. I recently had a warranty replacement on my 128gb S6, so when I set it up on Friday, I decided to not log into Facebook as an experiment.

The result has been a smashing success -- I had been averaging 3-4 hours screen time on the old phone, but now I get around 6 (these numbers are projections since I'm used to charging the phone whenever I'm not using it). I once had 1:43 minutes of screen time at 85% battery, and this was Tapatalk and internet apps, not video playback or gaming.

I'm going to keep off Facebook for the next week, see how the battery goes, and then turn it back on and see if it makes an impact. There may be, of course, other reasons why the battery is so good:

1) The newest update was already installed on the new phone out of the box (although I did accidentally factory reset the old phone, so maybe that's not quite the isssue).

2) I noticed that Pocket Reader kept trying to sync articles on the old phone. Maybe that was tying up wifi?

3) On the old phone, wifi was regularly using more battery than the screen. I haven't used my phone much today, so screen on time is only 23 min, but wifi has been on for 4:20. It's 26% for screen, 11% for wifi, which is normal. On my old phone, the wifi would have pummeled the screen for battery usage. Maybe I had a bad wifi radio in the old one?

Whatever it is, I am getting battery life similar to warpdrive's. And that's with all services on (including location services and bluetooth) and Exchange Active Sync. At this point, this is the best battery life I've ever had, maybe even better than my Note 2.

Last edited:

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I've done all of this and still hasn't changed for me.

I have seen your previous posts, kati, and you are a pretty heavy user and the screen shots you've shared previously seemed appropriate to your use. I was referring to feedmylittletroll because 9-10 hours with 2.5 hours of screen time is not normal unless there is heavy heavy background data use. It's too bad that even with an exchange the issue didn't get better.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I have my S6 set on Power Saving Mode and I'm getting great battery throughout the day. My phone has been off of its charger since 7:20am EST and it is now 12:37pm EST. I've played solitaire, The Price is Right Slots and I've sent emails and texts. I'm still at 87%! Yesterday I streamed movies for my daughter, played Riptide GP 2 and Castle of Illusion by the end of the day it was 45% (8 hours later).

J

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon