08-15-2015 10:11 AM
449 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I didn't mean that so not sure where you're assuming that from?.. I meant as in it doesn't mess with the longevity. Technically it does a little but most replace phones before they would notice an issue.
    This is based on information from batteryuniversity.com.

Think this way, once it charged to 100%, and being repeated topped off at 100%, It's not that much different from "storing battery at 100% charge level".

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Table 3 clearly indicated that, Li-ion battery is best stored at 40-50% state of charge, high states of charge stress the battery and cause loss of usable capacity.

There is a very good reason that all gadget with li-ion battery now comes out of box at 40-50% state of charge.
    04-02-2015 02:22 PM
    This is based on information from batteryuniversity.com.

Think this way, once it charged to 100%, and being repeated topped off at 100%, It's not that much different from "storing battery at 100% charge level".

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Table 3 clearly indicated that, Li-ion battery is best stored at 40-50% state of charge, high states of charge stress the battery and cause loss of usable capacity.

There is a very good reason that all gadget with li-ion battery now comes out of box at 40-50% state of charge.
    Yes -- I stated I agreed it can hurt it but .. in the terms of real-world use... the majority won't run into an issue before upgrading or whichever... As in if you do this for a year your battery isn't going to give out or have major issues.
    04-02-2015 02:29 PM
    Oh man, I use location services on my Nexus 5 and if i plan to get an S6 i would not want them off. For me, turning those two bolded things off are essential...ugh.
    Then in your case do the rest and leave those on, no need to cripple your experience, what we are trying to do here is troubleshooting this issue until a fixed is done, a little trial and error can help finding the culprit and then a subsequent permanent solution.
    chezm likes this.
    04-02-2015 02:35 PM
    Yes -- I stated I agreed it can hurt it but .. in the terms of real-world use... the majority won't run into an issue before upgrading or whichever... As in if you do this for a year your battery isn't going to give out or have major issues.
    Sure, it will depends on how long user keeps the phone. Yearly upgrade may make this less an issue. Or users can send the device to sammy service center to get the battery replaced for a fee.

Assume an average ambient temperature of 25C. keep it at 100% 8hr a day (overnight), the battery capacity will irreversibly drop by ~7% in a year. This is on top of other battery capacity loss accompanied daily discharging cycles. I would not be surprised if battery loses 20-30% of its original capacity within a year.
    04-02-2015 02:39 PM
    Well ant + disabled and wifi calling. This is today so far.

Auto brightness
    3 hours or so of streaming music over my bluetooth
    30 minutes of twitch.tv
    Attached Thumbnails Early S6 users, how's your battery life?-1428005578694.jpg   Early S6 users, how's your battery life?-1428005583764.jpg   Early S6 users, how's your battery life?-1428005589604.jpg  
    04-02-2015 03:13 PM

Auto brightness
    30 minutes of twitch.tv
    It looks like it didn't help.
    04-02-2015 03:22 PM
    I rarely stream music from my phone, but streaming music for 3 hours could probably take a decent toll on battery life, right?
    04-02-2015 03:24 PM

Auto brightness
    30 minutes of twitch.tv
    If I'm not mistaken, the latest gossip is that wifi had to be off completely, sorry to say. It's the antenna running wild that is doing it. I'll recheck updates shortly.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-02-2015 03:28 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, the latest gossip is that wifi had to be off completely, sorry to say. It's the antenna running wild that is doing it. I'll recheck updates shortly.

I always shut my wifi antenna off when I leave the house. So it has been off.
    04-02-2015 03:29 PM

My usage today. Took it off charger at 7:30 got to 1% around 3:30.

usage ...few phone calls. Text emails kik hangout whatsapp fb twitter

4 hours of on screen time.
    04-02-2015 04:01 PM
    That's horendous battery time. Seems worse than the 2014 Moto x I got rid of.
    04-02-2015 05:04 PM

Auto brightness
    30 minutes of twitch.tv
    Sorry, you may have mentioned this already, and I think I remember you saying that you turned off wifi calling, but have you turned off Scanning always available (Advanced Wifi settings) and smart network.?

My theory is that you shouldn't have to be turning off completely the wifi radio just the 2 unneeded things plus wifi calling for now until you need it. I'd also turn back on Ant+ and use whatever feature it may provide as it was mentioned but just in an update not disabling it. Like I've said before the idea is not crippling the device and miss features you may want to use, is just to get rid of unneeded stuff that have always been cause of battery drain without provide any benefit to the user.
    04-02-2015 05:04 PM
    Sorry, you may have mentioned this already, and I think I remember you saying that you turned off wifi calling, but have you turned off Scanning always available (Advanced Wifi settings) and smart network.?

My theory is that you shouldn't have to be turning off completely the wifi radio just the 2 unneeded things plus wifi calling for now until you need it. I'd also turn back on Ant+ and use whatever feature it may provide as it was mentioned but just in an update not disabling it. Like I've said before the idea is not crippling the device and miss features you may want to use, is just to get rid of unneeded stuff that have always been cause of battery drain without provide any benefit to the user.
    I think there's something beyond not disabling apps/WiFi calling that's draining these batteries. These cell standby numbers are atrocious.

04-02-2015 05:06 PM
    I think there's something beyond not disabling apps/WiFi calling that's draining these batteries. These cell standby numbers are atrocious.

That 30+% cell stand by does look fishy. In comparison, my cell standby is only 3%, lollipop 5.0, on Note 3, at 65% battery, been 36 hrs since unplug, 2.5 hr sot so far.

Is t mobile signal very weak there?
    04-02-2015 05:13 PM

Yep WifI calling, always allow scanning, and advanced network switch is off. I always ensure to shut these off since I can manage my phones connection. I even turn wifi fully off when leaving the house because I am only on wifi when home .. otherwise I am on mobile data.
    04-02-2015 05:13 PM
    http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...c21defa8f7.jpg

Let me try this one more time and see if somebody will try my suggestions.

There is obviously something wrong with one of the T-Mobile apps or simply the common Lollipop bug that affected a lot of devices months ago. One way or the other you have 2 options try to fix it yourself or wait for T-mobile to do it.

So if you want to try to fix it yourself and doing all you can and still it won't fix the Cell Standby drain then you should return it to T-mobile and get a new one.

It has been reported since Lollipop began rolling that there are some settings that may keep your device awake looking for cell signal and activity, one of them is Location Reporting, it seems that the bug makes the cell radio always awake causing the drain, only solution until a fix is available is to turn off Location Reporting.

Other setting that is directly related to this is Scanning always allowed in the wifi advance settings, totally unnecessary, plus the other one called Smart Network, this one I don't know where to find it on the S6/Edge cause I don't have the phone yet. But you, all of you can turn these off, you don't need them and if doing that fix your issue then it's just a matter of complaining to T-mobile and Samsung and reporting it and wait for a fix.

For last turn wifi calling off until you need it, if you need it some day, all of this features affects somehow the Cell Standby doing this and wait for a day to see the results may be of a great help for you and tons of others.
    04-02-2015 05:26 PM
    Yep WifI calling, always allow scanning, and advanced network switch is off. I always ensure to shut these off since I can manage my phones connection. I even turn wifi fully off when leaving the house because I am only on wifi when home .. otherwise I am on mobile data.
    Ok great now we have with you a good example, keep monitoring it and meet us know how it goes, also I don't if what you described above is normal usage for you, if it is, how does it compares with other previous devices?

If it's not normal, let us know after you are able to use it in a normal way for you. Thanks for this information.
    04-02-2015 05:30 PM
    You could just have a lemon I'm sorry to say. Stick with it for the next few days and if not better or we can't figure this out return for a new one. Again, sorry.

04-02-2015 05:31 PM
    Let me try this one more time and see if somebody will try my suggestions.

There is obviously something wrong with one of the T-Mobile apps or simply the common Lollipop bug that affected a lot of devices months ago. One way or the other you have 2 options try to fix it yourself or wait for T-mobile to do it.

So if you want to try to fix it yourself and doing all you can and still it won't fix the Cell Standby drain then you should return it to T-mobile and get a new one.

It has been reported since Lollipop began rolling that there are some settings that may keep your device awake looking for cell signal and activity, one of them is Location Reporting, it seems that the bug makes the cell radio always awake causing the drain, only solution until a fix is available is to turn off Location Reporting.

Other setting that is directly related to this is Scanning always allowed in the wifi advance settings, totally unnecessary, plus the other one called Smart Network, this one I don't know where to find it on the S6/Edge cause I don't have the phone yet. But you, all of you can turn these off, you don't need them and if doing that fix your issue then it's just a matter of complaining to T-mobile and Samsung and reporting it and wait for a fix.

For last turn wifi calling off until you need it, if you need it some day, all of this features affects somehow the Cell Standby doing this and wait for a day to see the results may be of a great help for you and tons of others.
    I have done everything you said -- except the location reporting. I could try it and see.
    04-02-2015 05:32 PM
    You could just have a lemon I'm sorry to say. Stick with it for the next few days and if not better or we can't figure this out return for a new one. Again, sorry.

I doubt it is a lemon when a lot of places are echoing the same low battery life.
    04-02-2015 05:35 PM
    I doubt it is a lemon when a lot of places are echoing the same low battery life.
    Yep, it may definitely be software related and I'm afraid that 5.0.2 Lollipop seems to still has the same but that affected most of not all Nexus and Motorola devices when Lollipop rolled out.

But if with your Location Reporting off if you still have those drains it may also be a faulty device as this was what fixed most of the drains for the other devices. At least you may have tried everything possible and that's good for troubleshooting, problem with the rest is that are complaining but are not willing to do the adjustments to try to detect the issue.
    04-02-2015 05:42 PM
    http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...c21defa8f7.jpg

what was your brightness lvl at?

04-02-2015 06:26 PM
    Agreed. Data and screen are two major battery suckers (signal strength is too, but there is nothing we can do about it). Streaming music will obviously reduce sot. I think 3-4hr sot is what most people will be getting with s6. Turning off sync, turning off data when not in use, disabling some apps/services are likely required to get 5-6hr sot.
    04-02-2015 06:28 PM
    Auto brightness
    04-02-2015 06:33 PM
    I believe Andrew from this site is posting pretty similarly bad battery numbers and he is/was on T Mobile. All other review sites seem to be reporting better battery life than everybody that Andrew and everybody here is reporting. Everybody that has a phone now is on T Mobile as well. I'm hoping that the poor battery life is a T Mobile issue and not the phone. I find it hard to believe that every other site that reported above average battery life meant around 3-3.5 hours of screen on time.
    04-02-2015 07:01 PM
449 ... 45678 ...