08-15-2015 10:11 AM
449 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    That isn't really good advice. Just to ignore the bad for .. what reason? I am posting my true thoughts / usage. I still absolutely love the phone because I have battery packs, I work at a desk job so I have a plug there easily all day, and at home I got wireless charging since I keep my phone in the same spot. So for me it isn't as concerning but .. I am still posting real-world usage.
    I was attempting humor.
    Never been really good at it.
    wrmoore47 likes this.
    04-03-2015 01:46 PM
    gsmarena updated their review today and battery life falls in line with most other flagships. It has improved with final software... I guess tmobile users will see an eventual update.

Samsung Galaxy S6 review: Subject Zero - page 3 - GSMArena.com
    Battery life tests - GSMArena.com

Better than S5 active, better than note edge, better than OnePlus One, better than G3, iphone 6, M9, etc.
    aggie, clevin, Jdroids and 1 others like this.
    04-03-2015 01:48 PM
    I've got to believe that Samsung tested this stuff thoroughly before putting a smallish battery in their new flagship(s). I am quite sure that the issues will be worked out with updates. Sure it would be nice to not need the updates but...well that's the way it is. For Samsung to put out a phone that is such a radical departure from what they usually put out, and then risk a massive failure on battery endurance is just too ridiculous to contemplate.
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-03-2015 02:17 PM
    Slightly obtuse post but I just put a new battery in my GS3 since it wouldn't make it past lunch anymore.
    04-03-2015 02:39 PM
    Slightly obtuse post but I just put a new battery in my GS3 since it wouldn't make it past lunch anymore.
    Yeah my oldest Swappable Battery only lasts about 6 hours. But it's an easy swap to keep me going through the rest of the day. I only need an external power source when I get home and charge up my extra battery.
    04-03-2015 02:59 PM
    gsmarena updated their review today and battery life falls in line with most other flagships. It has improved with final software... I guess tmobile users will see an eventual update.

Samsung Galaxy S6 review: Subject Zero - page 3 - GSMArena.com

Better than S5 active, better than note edge, better than OnePlus One, better than G3, iphone 6, M9, etc.
    well, im glad they updated the results. Most changes is from standby performance. New number brings s6 on par with s5, which is good.

One thing though, it seems they now post exactly same results for S6 and S6E, which is .... impossible, since S6E has bigger battery.....

Early S6 users, how's your battery life?-battery-test-edge.jpg
    04-03-2015 03:04 PM
    well, im glad they updated the results. Most changes is from standby performance. New number brings s6 on par with s5, which is good.

One thing though, it seems they now post exactly same results for S6 and S6E, which is .... impossible, since S6E has bigger battery.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery-test-edge.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	169445
    2% bigger battery and it has a little bit more pixels... Not going to change much in my book.
    04-03-2015 03:15 PM
    1 hour of streaming music and light browsing on auto brightness

After that... 3 hrs of streaming HD twitch.tv with 80 percent + brightness.

All streaming / data on LTE. All syncs on (Google Calendar, notes, etc.). All audio going over bluetooth. ANT+ disabled and wifi calling shut off. WiFi radio also off. Location services on.
    Attached Thumbnails Early S6 users, how's your battery life?-1428095004330.jpg   Early S6 users, how's your battery life?-1428095009803.jpg   Early S6 users, how's your battery life?-1428095014638.jpg  
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-03-2015 04:03 PM
    2% bigger battery and it has a little bit more pixels... Not going to change much in my book.
    and produce EXACTLY same test results in all three task rundowns?

nonono, I think they took a lazy route and tested Edge only. lol
    04-03-2015 04:57 PM
    and produce EXACTLY same test results in all three task rundowns?

nonono, I think they took a lazy route and tested Edge only. lol
    http://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

12 mins difference. What do you expect? the different between both and be more than 2% anyway...
    04-03-2015 05:03 PM

All streaming / data on LTE. All syncs on (Google Calendar, notes, etc.). All audio going over bluetooth. ANT+ disabled and wifi calling shut off. WiFi radio also off. Location services on.
    Really not bad for your usage. A big thank you for constantly updating and giving us all this info.

Off topic: I just finally played with both the Edge and normal today in best buy. I'm going to think about it overnight as I forgot to test something, but otherwise I enjoyed the experience.

Maybe you can help me as again I forgot something... When the brightness slider is on auto, can you still adjust it to make it dimmer or brighter? If so, I'm ordering it tonight or tomorrow.
    (Oh, and my best buy still had the wireless charger available for pre-ordering. Woot)

Posted via the Android Central App
    Almeuit likes this.
    04-03-2015 05:09 PM

12 mins difference. What do you expect? the different between both and be more than 2% anyway...
    Since you asked, truth is what I expect.
    04-03-2015 05:11 PM
    It's been posted that the biggest majority of people buying these phones don't know or care about swappable batteries.
    These same people aren't going to know to disable a bunch of stuff so their battery will last longer. They buy the phone and use it. If it gets poor battery life, that's how they'll see the S6 - A phone that gets poor battery life.
    Well said!!!
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    04-03-2015 06:28 PM
    Really not bad for your usage. A big thank you for constantly updating and giving us all this info.

Off topic: I just finally played with both the Edge and normal today in best buy. I'm going to think about it overnight as I forgot to test something, but otherwise I enjoyed the experience.

Maybe you can help me as again I forgot something... When the brightness slider is on auto, can you still adjust it to make it dimmer or brighter? If so, I'm ordering it tonight or tomorrow.
    (Oh, and my best buy still had the wireless charger available for pre-ordering. Woot)

Posted via the Android Central App
    Yes you can. I'm coming from an S3 so this is a really cool feature that I'm excited about.
    04-03-2015 07:24 PM
    It has to be better than my OG Moto X right?

I have a couple battery packs to get me through in a pinch. Hate the thought of gimping features just to save the battery.
    04-03-2015 07:39 PM
    It's been posted that the biggest majority of people buying these phones don't know or care about swappable batteries.
    These same people aren't going to know to disable a bunch of stuff so their battery will last longer. They buy the phone and use it. If it gets poor battery life, that's how they'll see the S6 - A phone that gets poor battery life.
    But on the same token, one shouldn't have to cripple their device in order to make the battery last a day. And it's really not a full day for most people. Say it comes off the charger at 5am and goes back at 11pm (give or take). The majority of the battery will be depleted for this "days" use.
    04-03-2015 09:13 PM
    It is sad. ART ended up not living up to expectations as far as performance goes. Android is still behind iOS and (lol)WP8 in OS responsiveness. Not by much but it is. There's only so far you can take a linux based OS and I daresay we've reached that plateau judging by 3 major attempts (JB, KK, L) to surpass it.

Project Volta doesn't seem to be getting anywhere.

Timely updates to carrier phones haven't made any headway to really speak of since 2011. There's been some duct tape efforts but not nearly enough. The closest they came was moving some OS functions into Play Services and making the the Moto X and that didn't last long. I find it funny how well behaved some brands were with update schedules after Google bought Moto and how quickly they relapsed back into their old habits after Google sold it.

Major bugs take far too long to address. iOS 8 had a cluster-F at launch rendering some users phones unusable. That was pretty bad. But... it was fixed and patch out to everyone in 2 days, as opposed to 3+ months.

Sammy did a bad by using this battery size for the S6. Considering what a hog Google's OS services are on battery life and some under the hood problems with Lollipop they should never have went with that battery on a 5.1" QHD display. A medium-heavy user will be plugging that phone in a lot.
    I agree with you completely except for the Moto part. Moto has once again done a very good job. They had lollipop out almost immediately on vzw and pure Moto X, Moto g 2014.

Yes turbo and 2013 X are still waiting but that is more so googles fault since 5.0 was junk and Moto ended up ditching it.
    04-03-2015 10:21 PM
    But on the same token, one shouldn't have to cripple their device in order to make the battery last a day. And it's really not a full day for most people. Say it comes off the charger at 5am and goes back at 11pm (give or take). The majority of the battery will be depleted for this "days" use.
    I wouldn't say disabling nonessential features is necessarily crippling the device, but more to optimize it. For instance on the S5 all of these gesture features that were pretty lack luster, if active would just slow the device down, so by disabling them, the performance would in turn increase. Do the same for a dozen other features you could care less about and you've got a more useful piece of hardware.

-via Android Central App on GWaLL's S5
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-04-2015 07:04 AM
    I also agree that with new updates, the bugs will get worked out. I hardly see Samsung leave commonly voiced issues unaddressed.
    04-04-2015 07:05 AM

I consider that in line with what I was expecting which is average to slightly above average battery life. These days almost 4 hours screen time plus streaming an hour of radio that's solid.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Galaxy S5
    04-04-2015 08:05 AM
    It's a Lollipop issue. My Nexus 5 would lose 11% overnight. Once Google pushed out the 5.1 update my Nexus was back to losing 2-3% overnight. It was a noticeable difference.

Sent from my Galaxy S6
    oh wow, i didn't realize 5.1 fixed it ... got used to powering off at night when they charge and never checked after the update.

i'm surprised it took this long for me to hear about it ... this is a huge deal (at least for me, and i'm sure a lot others)

thanks bud!
    04-05-2015 04:31 AM
    Almost 4hrs screen on time, 1hr of listening to Google music with Bluetooth headphones, downloaded 3 apps, Web browsing, received min 100 text between all my messaging apps, 3 phone calls totalling 15 min, while mostly having no wifi and 1 bar of 3g service in my office.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 (S is for Super) via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Early S6 users, how's your battery life?-135.jpg  
    superjoe95 likes this.
    04-09-2015 12:21 PM
    Who cares if the phone can charge quickly. Standby and actually usage battery life is more important. So your phone can charge in a half hour but you are in the park and your phone is already dead with no wall sockets anywhere to plug it in. Thin and removable battery's are the worse for phones. I don't care if the phone is 1mm smaller. Give me a phone that can last the day.
    04-09-2015 10:01 PM
    Who cares if the phone can charge quickly. Standby and actually usage battery life is more important. So your phone can charge in a half hour but you are in the park and your phone is already dead with no wall sockets anywhere to plug it in. Thin and removable battery's are the worse for phones. I don't care if the phone is 1mm smaller. Give me a phone that can last the day.
    I'd prefer that as well. However they even make quick charging external battery packs now. They are still limited but I bet will be more in the future. Having a small 3000mAh that can easily fit in your pocket and isn't much bigger than a spare battery that can charge your phone from 0-100 in an hour isn't bad.
    04-10-2015 12:58 AM
    i get 5 to 6 hours screen time
    aggie and Gray Area like this.
    04-10-2015 06:35 AM
449 ... 7891011 ...