Early S6 users, how's your battery life?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
If I recall correctly it doesn't hurt anything since the battery stops accepting charge once full .. So it doesn't keep charging.

Thats true, however, what I said was: it impacts battery longevity by keeping battery at stress level (high voltage=high percentage of charge= high stress). I did not say it will keep putting energy into battery and make it explode, :D

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thats true, however, what I said was: it impacts battery longevity by keeping battery at stress level (high voltage=high percentage of charge= high stress). I did not say it will keep putting energy into battery and make it explode, :D

I didn't mean that so not sure where you're assuming that from?.. I meant as in it doesn't mess with the longevity. Technically it does a little but most replace phones before they would notice an issue.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand the "1-5% is a huge difference in just ease of mind" part.

if you're going to bed, I assume the phone is on a charger. why would it put your mind at ease if the phone is at 15% vs 5%?

Posted via the Android Central App

For one thing, it's not good for the battery to fully drain out. But the bigger reason for me is that I don't want to have to not use it for the last hour or two before I go to bed just to make sure I have enough battery if I receive a call or text. Obviously there will be days that I fully kill the battery whether I normally finish at 1% or normally finish at 15%. There are days where I'll have a ton of usage and could kill any battery on any phone. I'm saying that ideally I'd finish a normal day without ever getting into the territory of worrying about my battery dying which is under 10-15% for me.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I didn't mean that so not sure where you're assuming that from?.. I meant as in it doesn't mess with the longevity. Technically it does a little but most replace phones before they would notice an issue.

This is based on information from batteryuniversity.com.

Think this way, once it charged to 100%, and being repeated topped off at 100%, It's not that much different from "storing battery at 100% charge level".

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Table 3 clearly indicated that, Li-ion battery is best stored at 40-50% state of charge, high states of charge stress the battery and cause loss of usable capacity.

There is a very good reason that all gadget with li-ion battery now comes out of box at 40-50% state of charge.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is based on information from batteryuniversity.com.

Think this way, once it charged to 100%, and being repeated topped off at 100%, It's not that much different from "storing battery at 100% charge level".

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Table 3 clearly indicated that, Li-ion battery is best stored at 40-50% state of charge, high states of charge stress the battery and cause loss of usable capacity.

There is a very good reason that all gadget with li-ion battery now comes out of box at 40-50% state of charge.

Yes -- I stated I agreed it can hurt it but .. in the terms of real-world use... the majority won't run into an issue before upgrading or whichever... As in if you do this for a year your battery isn't going to give out or have major issues.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Oh man, I use location services on my Nexus 5 and if i plan to get an S6 i would not want them off. For me, turning those two bolded things off are essential...ugh.

Then in your case do the rest and leave those on, no need to cripple your experience, what we are trying to do here is troubleshooting this issue until a fixed is done, a little trial and error can help finding the culprit and then a subsequent permanent solution.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes -- I stated I agreed it can hurt it but .. in the terms of real-world use... the majority won't run into an issue before upgrading or whichever... As in if you do this for a year your battery isn't going to give out or have major issues.

Sure, it will depends on how long user keeps the phone. Yearly upgrade may make this less an issue. Or users can send the device to sammy service center to get the battery replaced for a fee.

Assume an average ambient temperature of 25C. keep it at 100% 8hr a day (overnight), the battery capacity will irreversibly drop by ~7% in a year. This is on top of other battery capacity loss accompanied daily discharging cycles. I would not be surprised if battery loses 20-30% of its original capacity within a year.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well ant + disabled and wifi calling. This is today so far.

Auto brightness
3 hours or so of streaming music over my bluetooth
30 minutes of twitch.tv

Attachments

• 1428005578694.jpg
    1428005578694.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 1428005583764.jpg
    1428005583764.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 1428005589604.jpg
    1428005589604.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 74

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Auto brightness
30 minutes of twitch.tv

If I'm not mistaken, the latest gossip is that wifi had to be off completely, sorry to say. It's the antenna running wild that is doing it. I'll recheck updates shortly.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, the latest gossip is that wifi had to be off completely, sorry to say. It's the antenna running wild that is doing it. I'll recheck updates shortly.

I always shut my wifi antenna off when I leave the house. So it has been off.

SdotA85

May 14, 2010
Visit site
2dcc58e75c0df5b66cf904c21defa8f7.jpg

My usage today. Took it off charger at 7:30 got to 1% around 3:30.

usage ...few phone calls. Text emails kik hangout whatsapp fb twitter

4 hours of on screen time.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Auto brightness
30 minutes of twitch.tv

Sorry, you may have mentioned this already, and I think I remember you saying that you turned off wifi calling, but have you turned off Scanning always available (Advanced Wifi settings) and smart network.?

My theory is that you shouldn't have to be turning off completely the wifi radio just the 2 unneeded things plus wifi calling for now until you need it. I'd also turn back on Ant+ and use whatever feature it may provide as it was mentioned but just in an update not disabling it. Like I've said before the idea is not crippling the device and miss features you may want to use, is just to get rid of unneeded stuff that have always been cause of battery drain without provide any benefit to the user.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, you may have mentioned this already, and I think I remember you saying that you turned off wifi calling, but have you turned off Scanning always available (Advanced Wifi settings) and smart network.?

My theory is that you shouldn't have to be turning off completely the wifi radio just the 2 unneeded things plus wifi calling for now until you need it. I'd also turn back on Ant+ and use whatever feature it may provide as it was mentioned but just in an update not disabling it. Like I've said before the idea is not crippling the device and miss features you may want to use, is just to get rid of unneeded stuff that have always been cause of battery drain without provide any benefit to the user.

I think there's something beyond not disabling apps/WiFi calling that's draining these batteries. These cell standby numbers are atrocious.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I think there's something beyond not disabling apps/WiFi calling that's draining these batteries. These cell standby numbers are atrocious.

That 30+% cell stand by does look fishy. In comparison, my cell standby is only 3%, lollipop 5.0, on Note 3, at 65% battery, been 36 hrs since unplug, 2.5 hr sot so far.

Is t mobile signal very weak there?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yep WifI calling, always allow scanning, and advanced network switch is off. I always ensure to shut these off since I can manage my phones connection. I even turn wifi fully off when leaving the house because I am only on wifi when home .. otherwise I am on mobile data.