Early S6 users, how's your battery life?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/02/2dcc58e75c0df5b66cf904c21defa8f7.jpg

My usage today. Took it off charger at 7:30 got to 1% around 3:30.

usage ...few phone calls. Text emails kik hangout whatsapp fb twitter

4 hours of on screen time.

Let me try this one more time and see if somebody will try my suggestions.

There is obviously something wrong with one of the T-Mobile apps or simply the common Lollipop bug that affected a lot of devices months ago. One way or the other you have 2 options try to fix it yourself or wait for T-mobile to do it.

So if you want to try to fix it yourself and doing all you can and still it won't fix the Cell Standby drain then you should return it to T-mobile and get a new one.

It has been reported since Lollipop began rolling that there are some settings that may keep your device awake looking for cell signal and activity, one of them is Location Reporting, it seems that the bug makes the cell radio always awake causing the drain, only solution until a fix is available is to turn off Location Reporting.

Other setting that is directly related to this is Scanning always allowed in the wifi advance settings, totally unnecessary, plus the other one called Smart Network, this one I don't know where to find it on the S6/Edge cause I don't have the phone yet. But you, all of you can turn these off, you don't need them and if doing that fix your issue then it's just a matter of complaining to T-mobile and Samsung and reporting it and wait for a fix.

For last turn wifi calling off until you need it, if you need it some day, all of this features affects somehow the Cell Standby doing this and wait for a day to see the results may be of a great help for you and tons of others.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yep WifI calling, always allow scanning, and advanced network switch is off. I always ensure to shut these off since I can manage my phones connection. I even turn wifi fully off when leaving the house because I am only on wifi when home .. otherwise I am on mobile data.

Ok great now we have with you a good example, keep monitoring it and meet us know how it goes, also I don't if what you described above is normal usage for you, if it is, how does it compares with other previous devices?

If it's not normal, let us know after you are able to use it in a normal way for you. Thanks for this information.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yep WifI calling, always allow scanning, and advanced network switch is off. I always ensure to shut these off since I can manage my phones connection. I even turn wifi fully off when leaving the house because I am only on wifi when home .. otherwise I am on mobile data.

You could just have a lemon I'm sorry to say. Stick with it for the next few days and if not better or we can't figure this out return for a new one. Again, sorry.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Let me try this one more time and see if somebody will try my suggestions.

There is obviously something wrong with one of the T-Mobile apps or simply the common Lollipop bug that affected a lot of devices months ago. One way or the other you have 2 options try to fix it yourself or wait for T-mobile to do it.

So if you want to try to fix it yourself and doing all you can and still it won't fix the Cell Standby drain then you should return it to T-mobile and get a new one.

It has been reported since Lollipop began rolling that there are some settings that may keep your device awake looking for cell signal and activity, one of them is Location Reporting, it seems that the bug makes the cell radio always awake causing the drain, only solution until a fix is available is to turn off Location Reporting.

Other setting that is directly related to this is Scanning always allowed in the wifi advance settings, totally unnecessary, plus the other one called Smart Network, this one I don't know where to find it on the S6/Edge cause I don't have the phone yet. But you, all of you can turn these off, you don't need them and if doing that fix your issue then it's just a matter of complaining to T-mobile and Samsung and reporting it and wait for a fix.

For last turn wifi calling off until you need it, if you need it some day, all of this features affects somehow the Cell Standby doing this and wait for a day to see the results may be of a great help for you and tons of others.

I have done everything you said -- except the location reporting. I could try it and see.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You could just have a lemon I'm sorry to say. Stick with it for the next few days and if not better or we can't figure this out return for a new one. Again, sorry.

I doubt it is a lemon when a lot of places are echoing the same low battery life.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I doubt it is a lemon when a lot of places are echoing the same low battery life.

Yep, it may definitely be software related and I'm afraid that 5.0.2 Lollipop seems to still has the same but that affected most of not all Nexus and Motorola devices when Lollipop rolled out.

But if with your Location Reporting off if you still have those drains it may also be a faulty device as this was what fixed most of the drains for the other devices. At least you may have tried everything possible and that's good for troubleshooting, problem with the rest is that are complaining but are not willing to do the adjustments to try to detect the issue.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Agreed. Data and screen are two major battery suckers (signal strength is too, but there is nothing we can do about it). Streaming music will obviously reduce sot. I think 3-4hr sot is what most people will be getting with s6. Turning off sync, turning off data when not in use, disabling some apps/services are likely required to get 5-6hr sot.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I believe Andrew from this site is posting pretty similarly bad battery numbers and he is/was on T Mobile. All other review sites seem to be reporting better battery life than everybody that Andrew and everybody here is reporting. Everybody that has a phone now is on T Mobile as well. I'm hoping that the poor battery life is a T Mobile issue and not the phone. I find it hard to believe that every other site that reported above average battery life meant around 3-3.5 hours of screen on time.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
There are a couple of people already posting better results on the XDA forums, there was a guy with almost 5.5 hours and take a look at this other one even when is also having high Cell Standby %.

Check this post.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
There are a couple of people already posting better results on the XDA forums, there was a guy with almost 5.5 hours and take a look at this other one even when is also having high Cell Standby %.

Check this post.

if only he has more details on how to get there and how he used the phone. So far, two cases show 5-6 hr sot. So it is doable.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
if only he has more details on how to get there and how he used the phone. So far, two cases show 5-6 hr sot. So it is doable.

Like I've said it's a shame I can't get mine until Next Friday, cause if I managed to get always 4 - 4.5 SoT with the Moto X 2014, there's no way I won't get at least 5 hours of SoT with the S6 edge with 300 mAh more, better efficient processor, memory and 5.1" display (even if it's quad hd).

I know my tricks and adjustments have always worked great for me in all my devices and I manged to get constantly 6-7 hours of SoT in my S5, when most people just managed to get 5 hours.

I know is doable and one I can prove it I'll post my stats and whatever I did, if not, then it's obviously a bug and I'd decide if I cam live with it using my wireless charger and power bank, if not I can always return it within 14 days.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
e871473535bc29aadb1cef2d3a849221.jpg
e40091d42e7b465bbf59b956af9bd151.jpg

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
For one thing, it's not good for the battery to fully drain out. But the bigger reason for me is that I don't want to have to not use it for the last hour or two before I go to bed just to make sure I have enough battery if I receive a call or text. Obviously there will be days that I fully kill the battery whether I normally finish at 1% or normally finish at 15%. There are days where I'll have a ton of usage and could kill any battery on any phone. I'm saying that ideally I'd finish a normal day without ever getting into the territory of worrying about my battery dying which is under 10-15% for me.

got it. i either misread or misinterpreted cause at the time it didn't make sense to me ... i was thinking something different.

thanks for the explanation

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
My moto x with Android 5.0 had horrible standby cell time. My phone would shut off during the night. This is an android issue. Not so much the phone.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Here are a couple interesting screen shots that I found posted on another site that helps clear things up for me:

43AeL80.jpg
FpJtBFV.jpg

So it looks like this person pretty much constantly used his device after taking it off the charger. 3hrs 11 mins on battery and 2hr 40 mins with screen on and he's at 64%. This would be in line with what phone arena said of between 7-8 hours of usage. What this example doesn't take into effect like most other peoples examples is idle time. This person had pretty much no idle time and with most review testing sites, they aren't testing idle time when doing benchmarks either.

In the end, this gives me hope. Hopefully fixing whatever is draining the battery (cell standby or something else) while idle can be fixed quickly. It's looking like this phone does not have any issue concerning battery life while in use, which would be something that probably couldn't be fixed. If this phone can operate idly like most normal phones and just drop just 1% or so per hour then this phone could have some very good battery life.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Here are a couple interesting screen shots that I found posted on another site that helps clear things up for me:

View attachment 169361
View attachment 169362

So it looks like this person pretty much constantly used his device after taking it off the charger. 3hrs 11 mins on battery and 2hr 40 mins with screen on and he's at 64%. This would be in line with what phone arena said of between 7-8 hours of usage. What this example doesn't take into effect like most other peoples examples is idle time. This person had pretty much no idle time and with most review testing sites, they aren't testing idle time when doing benchmarks either.

In the end, this gives me hope. Hopefully fixing whatever is draining the battery (cell standby or something else) while idle can be fixed quickly. It's looking like this phone does not have any issue concerning battery life while in use, which would be something that probably couldn't be fixed. If this phone can operate idly like most normal phones and just drop just 1% or so per hour then this phone could have some very good battery life.

You're on the right track here. This is definitely a cell standby issue, but who the culprit is is still up for debate. It's not uncommon in Android Lollipop, so that's my first instinct.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon