Early S6 users, how's your battery life?

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Looks like your wifi calling is off though -- since you're on wifi without it.

I only disabled the ant+ stuff. I have everything else (syncs, all that jazz) still on.

And you're still getting good batt life? That's what I'm planning to do too. Just disable Ant. I want to be able to sync my stuff and actually use my phone!

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
PA tested it at low brightness (180 nits). I can see it going over 7 hours at that brightness below 30%.

I never, ever have used my devices over 25% brightness, it literally hurts my eyes. For me is just a matter of get your eyes used to lower brightness and it makes tons of difference in SoT. The only device I needed to get a higher brightness was the LG G3 because for some reason it never looked good to me when trying lower settings.

I know, and I'm sure that if there is not a widespread bug that is affecting the battery life, even with the 2600mAh on the S6 Edge, I can easily get over 5 hours of SoT if not a little more. If I managed to get 4-4.5 with the Moto X 2014, I know this won't be hard for me, just waiting for next Friday to get mine.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have you come across any reviews at all that were using other carriers? I just feel like that size battery should be able to do a lot better than its been,especially with the 14 nm chip. Or do you believe 3-3.5 sot is going to be what its end result will be. I'm dreading carrying my n6 all summer the beach .

I think all reviews from US so far used T-mobile. I saw couple of UK reviews and it didn't sound this bad though they didn't state much on SoT. It should be in 4~4.5 SoT range at least with proper firmware, but no one knows until after 4/10.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I think all reviews from US so far used T-mobile. I saw couple of UK reviews and it didn't sound this bad though they didn't state much on SoT. It should be in 4~4.5 SoT range at least with proper firmware, but no one knows until after 4/10.

Why do you think that? I've seen multiple people say this but I don't really know why. Is it common for the phones to come to an agreement with a single carrier for testing? If your reason is because there isn't any branding on the back of the phone, I don't think that's really a good enough reason. I don't think I've ever seen a phone reviewed pre-release that had branding on it.

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
yup, boggles my mind how iPhone loses 1-2% and android 10-20% ... this has been going on for years and Google just can't figure their battery or for whatever reason. and I believe they both use the same battery, so it's just a software issue

Posted via the Android Central App
It's a Lollipop issue. My Nexus 5 would lose 11% overnight. Once Google pushed out the 5.1 update my Nexus was back to losing 2-3% overnight. It was a noticeable difference.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
One more thing I noticed was that this weather app was turning on my GPS a lot last night. I disabled it this morning so we'll see how it goes.
4bc5568c4175faef11dfc54d7e959dfc.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Why do you think that? I've seen multiple people say this but I don't really know why. Is it common for the phones to come to an agreement with a single carrier for testing? If your reason is because there isn't any branding on the back of the phone, I don't think that's really a good enough reason. I don't think I've ever seen a phone reviewed pre-release that had branding on it.

I'm simply saying what I saw. Don't know why only t-mobile is used for reviews in US so far. I saw AT&T was also used for reviews before release of new phones. Somehow it's not happening this time. I'm not sure if Verizon, Sprint were ever used for pre-lease review but that's probably due to their being CDMA network.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm simply saying what I saw. Don't know why only t-mobile is used for reviews in US so far. I saw AT&T was also used for reviews before release of new phones. Somehow it's not happening this time. I'm not sure if Verizon, Sprint were ever used for pre-lease review but that's probably due to their being CDMA network.

TechnoBuffalo did get a European model of the Edge. The battery life, though he didn't post stats, was said to be average at best. I'm curious if they had the same cell standby time issue that others have had.

anon(1017475)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This thread has pretty much confirmed what I thought initially. With all the hype about the new and more efficient Exynos chip and the 1440 x 2560 screen (1080 isn't enough?) this device will struggle to get 3.5 to 4.5 hours screen on time and a days worth of use due to carrier bloat/inefficient apps, shoddy Samsung software and ongoing battery draining MADNESS from any syncable Google app or any other Google service related to Location or Analytics that is STILL NOT fixed/optimized in Lollipop.

Thats SAD. I have a 2 year old rooted and debloated Galaxy S3 (with a 2100mAH battery mind you) that will achieve 3.5 to 4.5 hours SOT.

This is 2015...the finished product SHOULD be BETTER not worse. And users should not HAVE TO root to fix carrier/manufacturer/OS owner eff-ups.

/rant off

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This thread has pretty much confirmed what I thought initially. With all the hype about the new and more efficient Exynos chip and the 1440 x 2560 screen (1080 isn't enough?) this device will struggle to get 3.5 to 4.5 hours screen on time and a days worth of use due to carrier bloat/inefficient apps, shoddy Samsung software and ongoing battery draining MADNESS from any syncable Google app or any other Google service related to Location or Analytics that is STILL NOT fixed/optimized in Lollipop.

Thats SAD. I have a 2 year old rooted and debloated Galaxy S3 (with a 2100mAH battery mind you) that will achieve 3.5 to 4.5 hours SOT.

This is 2015...the finished product SHOULD be BETTER not worse. And users should not HAVE TO root to fix carrier/manufacturer/OS owner eff-ups.

/rant off

Understand your points .. it should get better for sure .. But specs are getting better (processors, screens, etc.) and batteries have been pretty much the same (for the most part). Once you have a certain size there is only so much you can squeeze from it.

Now .. saying that .. it still has an issue I think .. I think it should get more but isn't able to due to some bug (at least for T-Mobile).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Take all bad posts with a grain of salt.

That isn't really good advice. Just to ignore the bad for .. what reason? I am posting my true thoughts / usage. I still absolutely love the phone because I have battery packs, I work at a desk job so I have a plug there easily all day, and at home I got wireless charging since I keep my phone in the same spot. So for me it isn't as concerning but .. I am still posting real-world usage.

jojen

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site

/rant off

It is sad. ART ended up not living up to expectations as far as performance goes. Android is still behind iOS and (lol)WP8 in OS responsiveness. Not by much but it is. There's only so far you can take a linux based OS and I daresay we've reached that plateau judging by 3 major attempts (JB, KK, L) to surpass it.

Project Volta doesn't seem to be getting anywhere.

Timely updates to carrier phones haven't made any headway to really speak of since 2011. There's been some duct tape efforts but not nearly enough. The closest they came was moving some OS functions into Play Services and making the the Moto X and that didn't last long. I find it funny how well behaved some brands were with update schedules after Google bought Moto and how quickly they relapsed back into their old habits after Google sold it.

Major bugs take far too long to address. iOS 8 had a cluster-F at launch rendering some users phones unusable. That was pretty bad. But... it was fixed and patch out to everyone in 2 days, as opposed to 3+ months.

Sammy did a bad by using this battery size for the S6. Considering what a hog Google's OS services are on battery life and some under the hood problems with Lollipop they should never have went with that battery on a 5.1" QHD display. A medium-heavy user will be plugging that phone in a lot.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Hard for me to believe that since they started this phone at "zero" and on the list was to make a phone with 3.5 sot, can't be right . There has to be a fix from them coming ,but like you said, how long will that take?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So far today.

1 hour of streaming music and light browsing on auto brightness

After that... 1 hour and 30 mins of streaming HD twitch.tv with 80 percent + brightness.

All streaming / data on LTE. All syncs on (Google Calendar, notes, etc.). All audio going over bluetooth. ANT+ disabled and wifi calling shut off. WiFi radio also off. Location services on.

Attachments

• 1428085665325.jpg
    1428085665325.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 1428085671026.jpg
    1428085671026.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 56

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
So far today.

1 hour of streaming music and light browsing on auto brightness

After that... 1 hour and 30 mins of streaming HD twitch.tv with 80 percent + brightness.

All streaming / data on LTE. All syncs on (Google Calendar, notes, etc.). All audio going over bluetooth. ANT+ disabled and wifi calling shut off. WiFi radio also off. Location services on.

That's encouraging.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey