Early S6 users, how's your battery life?

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
My first S6 wouldn't charge properly. Even with the quick charger, it would take about 5 hours to charge. I'm starting to think that the memory problem on the phone is to blame. I have to switch between a few apps constantly and the phone restarts them instead of just re-opening them like it should. I'm always in full LTE coverage or attached to my business' super fast wifi, so that shouldn't be the problem. I really really like this phone except for the battery life. My G3 gets double the screen on time.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Here is my usage today. Don't know what to think.

Posted via the Android Central App

Can I ask you a question? What do you do with your phone that you spend 4 of the 8 hours with the screen on? I have my phone off the charge for 16 hours a day and if I am reading a lot of news or email, or maybe 2 or three attacks of Clash of Clans, I hit 90 minutes. And thats pushing it.

WBSnow

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
My battery usage depends on a lot. I have my screen timing-out within 15 to 20 seconds. As for use, again, when I'm at work, I'm not on my phone unless I'm using it to talk or check/respond to emails. Before and after work, or over the weekend, I'm on here, Facebook, or the internet.

I can tell you in as fast as I see the phone charge, I see the phone discharge, even with little to no use. I am using a Samsung Gear Fit, and frequently use Bluetooth headsets rather than holding my phone.

dcool19d

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking off buying the S6 off contract, but I was wondering what's an average battery life with this phone as of today?
Are these results with using data or with data off.
I was going to buy a morphie battery case to extend the battery life.

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1431278811457.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431278820329.jpg

New personal best today. Nothing real special, auto brightness and no location on. Nothing real heavy on usage and mostly idle time but I definitely can't complain.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
OK...so i removed Google Fit from my app list and noticed a battery improvement. Yesterday i sold my moto 360, removed all the Android Wear related apps and disabled location. Wow what a HUGE difference in battery, its doing great today! During my 1 hour commute i would generally lose 8-10% battery, today i lost 1%! Standby has been a huge improvement too. With Bluetooth off, no location and no Android Wear syncing the batter has been very good today.

dcool19d

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I won't have a S6 till this weekend.
But here are some speculations onto how to save battery life.
First: Disable the double tap to launch the camera, that applicaiton is always running in the background and each time you press home it triggers it to see if you're going to double tap the home button which will cause that process to run and eat at your battery faster.

Second: TURN DATA OFF! Only use it when you need it, if your phone is going to be in your pocket then disable it and turn it back on when you take it out of your pocket. It takes less then 5 seconds.

Third: Check your Power and "Cell standby " is eating up your battery then turn off "Voice over LTE"

Fourth: Buy a Morphie Power case and enjoy this phone :)

dcool19d

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I won't have a S6 till this weekend.
But here are some speculations onto how to save battery life.
First: Disable the double tap to launch the camera, that application is always running in the background and each time you press home it triggers it to see if you're going to double tap the home button which will cause that process to run and eat at your battery faster.

Second: TURN DATA OFF! Only use it when you need it, if your phone is going to be in your pocket then disable it and turn it back on when you take it out of your pocket. It takes less then 5 seconds.

Third: Check your Power consumption and if "Cell standby " is eating up your battery then turn off "Voice over LTE"

Fourth: Buy a Morphie Power case and enjoy this phone :)

Edit: Sorry for the two posts, internet lagged and posted two.
Don't know how to delete the previous one:-\

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
So after a couple weeks of using my S6 (I got it around April 13th or so), I was getting seriously worried about the battery life. A lot of battery drain when idle, wifi taking up a big percentage of battery life, just barely 3 hours of SOT per charge, etc. I was getting pretty pissed, especially considering I'm pretty neurotic when it comes to phones. I was coming from a OnePlus One, so I was used to getting 6+ hours of SOT.

Since then however, the battery's improved a decent amount. It's certainly not OnePlus One/Note 4-level battery life, but I really didn't expect it to be. Here's my screenshots. I'm on T-Mobile. I have voLTE and a few Samsung apps disabled, but mostly everything else is turned on. Bluetooth, Facebook app, no battery saver mode, etc.

My standby time could still be better - I swear if the standby drained less juice, you really could get 6+ SOT on this phone - but other than that I'm very pleased with it.

(BTW, later that night I put it on the charger, I think I was around 16%, and had over 5 hours of SOT.)

Screenshot_2015-05-17-23-18-11.jpgScreenshot_2015-05-17-23-18-32.jpgScreenshot_2015-05-17-23-18-40.jpg

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Still doing fantastic, seriously no complaints.

I'm getting battery to surpass day and half the last few days.

Attachments

• 1864.jpg
    1864.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 47

dcool19d

May 10, 2015
Visit site
As the day continues, the battery seems to be doing good atm.
Fully charged / unplugged it at 3:30 PM and at 8:56 PM I had 52% battery life. This is with pretty average usage.
Which includes checking instagram/snapchating/texting/viewing-downloading pictures/ downloading music to spotify
So far I'm impressed.
(Even though I'm just on Wifi)

Also last night, I was really trying hard to kill the battery and I finally got it down to 1%, but the freaking phone wouldn't die. I watched a 20 minute youtube gaming video and even played a little bit of music before I finally saw the Samsung Logo that I longed for as the phone powered off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-18-20-56-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-18-20-56-15.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_2015-05-18-20-56-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-18-20-56-22.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 66

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm averaging just over 5 hours SOT on my S4 since the LP update ... disappointed that 3 years later, battery life is about the same

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-18-21-51-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-18-21-51-23.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 57

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I just reached the end of my first charge cycle at 2%. I like to have my phone on the lowest brightness and on power saver mode at all times. For my first full charge I got 15h 16m on battery and 6h 49m SoT. I'm IMPRESSED

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
It's not that surprising to me. They're obviously aiming for a very specific amount of time - which is pretty much on the mark with what an average user would use in any given day.

I mean, don't get me wrong, battery life is probably my #1 most important feature on a phone, but pretty much every phone manufacturer seems pretty content with just making phones that last through the day, and not 2 or 3.
I'm averaging just over 5 hours SOT on my S4 since the LP update ... disappointed that 3 years later, battery life is about the same

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I just reached the end of my first charge cycle at 2%. I like to have my phone on the lowest brightness and on power saver mode at all times. For my first full charge I got 15h 16m on battery and 6h 49m SoT. I'm IMPRESSED
What carrier are you on?

You should post your battery results. That's incredible on any device.

Haroon Ikhlaq

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm just glad that this phone has Quick Charge 2.0 and Wireless Charging, I'm charging it a lot more that the M8 I had previously but it doesn't bother me as I'm either in my car or at home.

Posted via S6

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I charge my phone every afternoon so that it can last until 12pm, the quick charge is so fast it doesn't really bother me.

dreaming of electric sheep

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
It's not that surprising to me. They're obviously aiming for a very specific amount of time - which is pretty much on the mark with what an average user would use in any given day.

I mean, don't get me wrong, battery life is probably my #1 most important feature on a phone, but pretty much every phone manufacturer seems pretty content with just making phones that last through the day, and not 2 or 3.

Every person I know is not a heavy user, based on the statistics provided on these forums. Most of my Co workers and peers use their phone light to medium, they're not phone enthusiasts such as us and can get through the day on their phone. Maybe the average consumer isn't consumed so much by the battery as we are? When I discuss phones with them battery is never a topic, more so is performance or screen clarity. Maybe the manufacturers know what is larger demographic wants versus what the techie guys want? Just saying

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX