Early S6 users, how's your battery life?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
This is horrible

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes it is, but you are not giving too much information on what exactly is draining your battery, what apps you have installed that may also be draining or what tweaks have you done.

I'm sure that is you follow the Tricks and tips thread suggestions, and in worst case scenario, do a Wipe Cache Partition and/or Wipe data/factory reset in Recovery mode it should get a lot better like it has occurred to a lot of other people here. Just remember that doing the wipe Cache partition won't do any harm nor you'll lose any data, but doing a wipe data/factory reset will do just that, factory reset so is you have things to back up do that first.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Yes it is, but you are not giving too much information on what exactly is draining your battery, what apps you have installed that may also be draining or what tweaks have you done.

I'm sure that is you follow the Tricks and tips thread suggestions, and in worst case scenario, do a Wipe Cache Partition and/or Wipe data/factory reset in Recovery mode it should get a lot better like it has occurred to a lot of other people here. Just remember that doing the wipe Cache partition won't do any harm nor you'll lose any data, but doing a wipe data/factory reset will do just that, factory reset so is you have things to back up do that first.

I have done both types of wipe (cache and hard reset), and the battery life remains the same. I've also followed the tips and advice given by others, all with no luck. For example, lowering my screen brightness a LOT, and disabling all the apps I don't use, such as facebook, amazon, google play games/books/etc, instagram, etc.

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
It seems for everyone who has a bad battery one of us has a good one. I think some of the issues are carrier specific, I am in the UK on Tesco (O2).

These are my last two days.

Attachments

• 569.jpg
    569.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 568.jpg
    568.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 557.jpg
    557.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 105
  • 556.jpg
    556.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
There's just no way around it, sadly the battery life of the S6 is just not good for many of us. And, I have 3/4 of the phone shut down which is a terrible shame...no WiFi calling, no Location Services, no Google Now, limited synching, no edge services, no motion services, no VoLTE, low screen brightness, dark background, etc...

Screenshot_2.jpg
Screenshot_2 (2).jpg

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
There's just no way around it, sadly the battery life of the S6 is just not good for many of us. And, I have 3/4 of the phone shut down which is a terrible shame...no WiFi calling, no Location Services, no Google Now, limited synching, no edge services, no motion services, no VoLTE, low screen brightness, dark background, etc...

Has to be carrier specific, I have no VoLTE as an option for example, UK carrier not killing the battery with the cell standby. I have had it on today so far for over 10 hours, it has been a low usage day so only SOT of 1 hour 33 minutes which is 6% of battery use and the top of the list at that, cell standby is only 1%. Overall still have 70% battery left.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 179335
View attachment 179336

That's terrible! On att I do not have any of these issues. I hope you are able to get that fixed. I find it hard to believe how different devices act on different carrier networks.

eclypzjericho

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I had the cell standby pinging high percentages before as well.

By chance, have you "calibrated" the battery gauge by going below 10% then charging to 100% and then back down below and then back up to 100%? That or charging above 90% I've read 'resets' the battery statistics. The issue could have been resolved when you turned off Wi-Fi scanning if it was recent but it is still reflecting in your statistics making you think it is still an issue. Just my thoughts after looking at it and you stating you've turned all of the things off that would have caused that issue.

Kennyb123

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
It's your cell standby usage that is clearly the issue here. Either you are in an area with horribly low signal strength, or there is something wrong with your phone.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Early users, how's your battery life?

Signal strength is fine...5 bar LTE (See pictures)...plus I'm on WiFi all day which is the likely issue, even though that should save the battery not drain it.

Nothing wrong with the S6 hardware. Lots of other users with the same issue. Just read this thread about all the people bailing due to battery life issues plus all the other threads on battery life.

Samsung claims a near future software release will resolve this for all the people with the same high Standby drain. Let's hope, because I've been waiting for 2 months now!

Sent from Tapatalk

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Signal strength is fine...5 bar LTE (See pictures)...plus I'm on WiFi all day which is the likely issue, even though that should save the battery not drain it.

Sent from Tapatalk

This is the issue, battery drain on stand by while on Wi-Fi. Makes zero sense to me why the battery drains faster on Wi-Fi, but mines does it to... to a much lesser degree than yours.

Sere81

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I was having great battery life since I got the phone at launch. But then 3 days ago I decided to turn on location history, google now, cards and all that and my battery life went to crap.

Turned all that off and battery is still just as bad. Android system is sitting at 20% after 6 hours.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
This is the issue, battery drain on stand by while on Wi-Fi. Makes zero sense to me why the battery drains faster on Wi-Fi, but mines does it to... to a much lesser degree than yours.

Techno-guy said:

That is the typical Lollipop Cell Standby Bug that has been affecting devices at random, it's simply keeping the device awake. Only "solutions" are the ones posted since my first post of the Tips and tricks thread, nothing more, nothing less.

People with these issue should take your chances with Factory resets (if it's software it must be fixed with this) after leaving the battery go down to at least 10%, then after the reset (Via Recovery Mode) charge it to 100% and don't add any third apps, just follow some of the suggested tweaks like turning off VOLTE, Scanning Always Available and Smart network, and try for a couple of hours, if it's better then try reinstalling the third party apps. I can see in Techno-guy screenshots that he is using a custom Weather app and another one that shows the battery (this one may be GSAM), try without GSAM and for the Weather use the default one but don't use the Current Location option, instead just enter your City or cities manually and set it to update once an hour.

Again, if it's OS, Factory Reset should fix it, if it's a Third Party App you will know by testing without them, if it's hardware (Radio or any other chip) only thing that will fix it is a replacement.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
That is the typical Lollipop Cell Standby Bug that has been affecting devices at random, it's simply keeping the device awake. Only "solutions" are the ones posted since my first post of the Tips and tricks thread, nothing more, nothing less.

People with these issue should take your chances with Factory resets (if it's software it must be fixed with this) after leaving the battery go down to at least 10%, then after the reset (Via Recovery Mode) charge it to 100% and don't add any third apps, just follow some of the suggested tweaks like turning off VOLTE, Scanning Always Available and Smart network, and try for a couple of hours, if it's better then try reinstalling the third party apps. I can see in Techno-guy screenshots that he is using a custom Weather app and another one that shows the battery (this one may be GSAM), try without GSAM and for the Weather use the default one but don't use the Current Location option, instead just enter your City or cities manually and set it to update once an hour.

Again, if it's OS, Factory Reset should fix it, if it's a Third Party App you will know by testing without them, if it's hardware (Radio or any other chip) only thing that will fix it is a replacement.

I agree 100 percent with this. I also think that with such tweaks and if nothing helps after the factory reset, it must be the wifi radio or some kind of wifi incompatibility that is doing this. He should not have to tweak this hard with zero results...but my gut feeling is bad radio.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, I've done multiple full Factory Resets and not installed any apps but it didn't help. Have all the things off you suggested (and many more) like VoLTE, Scanning Always Available, Smart Network, WiFi Calling, Location Services, etc. I did install the weather app but do not have location services on so I have to manually refresh it. It didn't make any difference with the weather app on the phone or not. The battery app you see is GSAM.

I agree with you that it's a Lollipop issue (for sure) but also think there are other things at play here in addition. If we can just get the 5.1.1 update and if T-Mobile can release an interim update like AT&T and Verizon just did, crossing my fingers that battery drain all goes away!

Thanks for the suggestions, as always.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I've done multiple full Factory Resets and not installed any apps but it didn't help. Have all the things off you suggested (and many more) like VoLTE, Scanning Always Available, Smart Network, WiFi Calling, Location Services, etc. I did install the weather app but do not have location services on so I have to manually refresh it. It didn't make any difference with the weather app on the phone or not. The battery app you see is GSAM.

I agree with you that it's a Lollipop issue (for sure) but also think there are other things at play here in addition. If we can just get the 5.1.1 update and if T-Mobile can release an interim update like AT&T and Verizon just did, crossing my fingers that battery drain all goes away!

Thanks for the suggestions, as always.

Well, then I hope the new version is released soon and more important that it fixes the issues that you and others have, I really don't have that patience, I remember telling you since the first day I saw your posts that you should had get a replacement, if I was you that was what I'd do the next day at the most, you seem to have a lot more patience than me, but sadly for you it didn't pan out as you expected.

Good luck.

Leoncio Zamora

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 179335
View attachment 179336

You sure you turned off the 4g enhanced services

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
So far my battery life has been dandy. But for me anything more than 13 hours on a charge is gravy. And I only rarely exceed 3 hours of screen on time.

My battery life seems to have improved with the update today.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463