Early S6 users, how's your battery life?

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
My battery life keeps being inconsistent. One day I will get six hours screen on time with 19 hours total. Another day I will get 5 hours screen on time with 7 hours of the charger. Battery drain in standby is a nightmare

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting what I think is terrible battery life (Bell network in Canada). I mean, it has me longing for my Nexus 5 which I thought was bad, but this takes the cake. I did the factory reset thing when I first got the phone, turned off a bunch of items that I'm not using. Next step is to go back to the Samsung Touchwiz as I was using Google Now, and maybe switch away from LTE. But it seems contradictive to buy a high end phone only to have to turn off so many features that are useful.

See below, this is pretty standard.

Screenshot_2015-06-10-21-30-11_zpsfkcnfte8.png

image.jpg_zpsjcvzbsht.png

Screenshot_2015-06-10-21-30-02_zpskbxlss6y.png

Maybe I will try another reset? Screen brightness is also all the way down...but only 1 hour and 23 minutes of SOT and almost running dry!?

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
After wireless charged my phone, remove it after fully charged and went to sleep. 6H later:
Screenshot_2015-06-11-22-26-44.jpgScreenshot_2015-06-11-22-26-59.jpgScreenshot_2015-06-11-22-27-39.jpg

Before it was around 1.4%/H something, while phone goes to deep sleep and not in use. Now 6H and not even dropped 1%. :confused:
I just dont understand this phone batterylife. :-\

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
After wireless charged my phone, remove it after fully charged and went to sleep. 6H later:
View attachment 181201View attachment 181202View attachment 181203

Before it was around 1.4%/H something, while phone goes to deep sleep and not in use. Now 6H and not even dropped 1%. :confused:
I just dont understand this phone batterylife. :-\

Me either. One day my phone will go through 14% per hour and the next day 5% per hour doing the exact same thing lol. I just installed some battery saving techniques so I'll be interested to see if it makes any difference

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting what I think is terrible battery life (Bell network in Canada). I mean, it has me longing for my Nexus 5 which I thought was bad, but this takes the cake. I did the factory reset thing when I first got the phone, turned off a bunch of items that I'm not using. Next step is to go back to the Samsung Touchwiz as I was using Google Now, and maybe switch away from LTE. But it seems contradictive to buy a high end phone only to have to turn off so many features that are useful.

See below, this is pretty standard.

View attachment 181015

View attachment 181016

View attachment 181017

Maybe I will try another reset? Screen brightness is also all the way down...but only 1 hour and 23 minutes of SOT and almost running dry!?
Does your Gmail have to be push? Mine is but I have never seen mine that high. I also noticed a battery drop when I installed Google now launcher. Mine wasn't as drastic as yours, but I did notice a significant difference in battery drain. If you are willing another reset might help, or install the gsam app and see if there are any rogue apps running amuck.

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Does your Gmail have to be push? Mine is but I have never seen mine that high. I also noticed a battery drop when I installed Google now launcher. Mine wasn't as drastic as yours, but I did notice a significant difference in battery drain. If you are willing another reset might help, or install the gsam app and see if there are any rogue apps running amuck.

I removed the Now launcher yesterday (replaced it with Nova), and got 1.3 hours of SOT after 15 hours with 20% left. So pretty much no change.

Biggest culprit seems to be Gmail. It's at 18% usage?? I have turned off sync on all but calendar , contacts and mail (and really only have mail coming through). I can't imagine that in this day and age my gmail can't be push! I could certainly try changing it (not sure how).

Will also try gsam. But this is plain ridiculous. God forbid I actually use the phone, as I may get 2.5 hours out of it if I actually do use it with the screen on.

Frustrating as I don't have many apps on the phone. Have turned location history off, keep location at the low battery setting (wifi and mobile?), removed Google Now which was a favorite app of mine, shut off facebook/twitter, etc.

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I removed the Now launcher yesterday (replaced it with Nova), and got 1.3 hours of SOT after 15 hours with 20% left. So pretty much no change.

Biggest culprit seems to be Gmail. It's at 18% usage?? I have turned off sync on all but calendar , contacts and mail (and really only have mail coming through). I can't imagine that in this day and age my gmail can't be push! I could certainly try changing it (not sure how).

Will also try gsam. But this is plain ridiculous. God forbid I actually use the phone, as I may get 2.5 hours out of it if I actually do use it with the screen on.

Frustrating as I don't have many apps on the phone. Have turned location history off, keep location at the low battery setting (wifi and mobile?), removed Google Now which was a favorite app of mine, shut off facebook/twitter, etc.
I'm also on Bell, and was also getting disappointing battery life (especially coming from a G2),though not this bad.

I rooted, flashed xtrestolite pure odex 2.0 rom yesterday, and greenify. Seems to be A LOT more reasonnable now. Not sure if it's the debloating or the custom kernel or Android 5.1.1 but battery life is better AND performance is much nicer, especially multitasking. Worth it if you ask me.

chescatt

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
My battery life has been pretty good so far. Usage: Facebook, fb messenger, instagram, yahoo mail, youtube ( a lot), flipboard, 9gag, ifunny. etc.
I can say that I'm a medium user.
11852725_972645099444013_423234609_o.jpg

Attachments

• 11847467_972645116110678_920552297_o.jpg
    11847467_972645116110678_920552297_o.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 55

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
On mine the first 40% seems to go much faster than the last 60

I have noticed this as well. I find the first 10% goes very fast...90-60% a little slower...60-20% slower...20-0 varies. OBviously this could be just based on how i use it but its very consistent and my usage timing varies.

Russell BELL1

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
It's so weird, I usually get around 3.5-4hrs SOT on average which is not good at all, considering I was getting 7 hours on my HTC One M8, but the weird thing is that I run battery calibration tests and the tests run browser benchmarks and it only drops 4% in 30 mins and I can see it running a full browser with the exact same conditions so why can't it always run like that ?

kioko91

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Horrendous. Slept for 5 hours. Unplugged phone since it was at 100%. Woke up to it at 57% with nothing running. Cell standby does it again. This phone was the worst decision I've made in a long time. My iPhone would be 94-98% during the overnight. This is another level of ridiculous.

db296f85881b15dd4e2c32d2fbb9bc64.jpg

For reference my phone has 1 email that auto pulls and only sync contacts. Everything else is off. Bluetooth, gps,everything is off. If I turn my gps on the phone melts. I've tried every battery saving tactic in these threads and I'm over it. Come September I'm trading in and upgrading. I've put up with this since launch and I'm just done have to carry chargers on me, something I've never done before even with my s3 or s4.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
How much SOT here? And how many accounts syncing? Wifi, BT, GPS om at all time?

Sent fra min SM-G925F via Tapatalk

GPS on high accuracy all the time, BT on most of the time as well as wifi on all the time. Have my outlook, gmail, yahoo, and suddenlink isp accounts syncing. Have a facebook, yelp, twitter, G+, and most other google services syncing as well plus google now. SOT right now is about a little over 2 hours 44 minutes. You have to understand though that I have a Galaxy Gear S smartwatch synced to the phone and I read, reply and dismiss all my notifications from my Gear S.

Also my phone is a Galaxy S6 Duos , the dual sim variant. My Gear S though can handle text, calls, facebook, twitter, G+, emails, weather, S Voice, and even surf the web. I don't really have to take the phone out of my pocket at all, hell I can leave it at home and the Gear S can remotely operate on it's on cell service and all notifications to my phone is remotely controlled from the smartwatch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781