Is Fast Charging all the time bad for the battery/phone?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
just to add, for li-ion battery, charging to 100% is not recommended, nor is it required. You can pretty much charge from any % to any % with no ill effect on the battery itself, actually better to avoid 0-100 charging.
I've read this as well but I really don't care because I get a new phone every six months to a year and have never noticed anything bad happening in that time. Lol

thatnote4

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I agree that you should be able to allow your phone to charge overnight, and should be able to use rapid charging - but that is presuming a problem doesn't arise. There have been several cases - certainly the vast minority - on these forums of phone batteries bursting, failing, and even destroying the phone. In these cases something apparently did not work as designed, and that can happen with any technology. It comes down to how paranoid you want to be. I personally won't use rapid charging because I don't need it, so can eliminate some risk. Same goes for overnight (read unattended) charging - I avoid that by charging before I go to bed. Lithium Ion batteries are dangerous if breached and exposed to air, so charging needs to occur in a way that is controlled and does not exceed specified temperatures.

Dude, I been using android phones since the first phone that was android. From being a technician for cellphones, computers, ETC. All these "things" happening I never came across. Never heard of these things happening. People are lying to the man. The weird charging intervals are not needed. 30% to 100% is not needed. Calibrating a battery is needed atleast every 2 weeks. I don't need to know all about batteries failing and exploding because someones mistake. You can charge a phone overnight if however there is enough ventilation for the battery to keep cool. Also, I agree that fast charging is not needed all the time.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Dude, I been using android phones since the first phone that was android. From being a technician for cellphones, computers, ETC. All these "things" happening I never came across. Never heard of these things happening. People are lying to the man. The weird charging intervals are not needed. 30% to 100% is not needed. Calibrating a battery is needed atleast every 2 weeks. I don't need to know all about batteries failing and exploding because someones mistake. You can charge a phone overnight if however there is enough ventilation for the battery to keep cool. Also, I agree that fast charging is not needed all the time.

I too have been using Android phones from day 1, and have been into electronics (personally and professionally) for about 50 years. I have never personally had a lithium-ion battery breach and start on fire, but given that lithium ignites on exposure to air, I have no reason to disbelieve the cases I've read about on the news and on the forums where through no fault of the owner, the charging circuit or battery fails and causes overheating and/or breach of the battery. Luckily, such failures are so rare that most folks have never seen or heard of it. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I only use the bundled fast charger to charge my phone, my expectation is I should be able to use only it and not damage or harm the battery. If something were to happen I'd be pretty pissed off considering it's the dedicated charger.

Posted via the Android Central App

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I only use the bundled fast charger to charge my phone, my expectation is I should be able to use only it and not damage or harm the battery. If something were to happen I'd be pretty pissed off considering it's the dedicated charger.
Posted via the Android Central App

Yes you SHOULD be able to use that charger, and would have every right to be pissed if it failed and cooked your phone/battery.

BrianJ2

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
So i've been reading this topic for a bit.

0-100 for li-ion batteries are never good. Samsung has announced that you can go from 0-50% in 10 minutes with their new fast charging methods. This could mean that staying between 20-80 is much easier as compared to before because you don't have to wait long and keep checking whether the battery isn't over-charged, you just charge it for 15 minutes ~20% and use it, get it to 20% again and charge it for 15 minutes again.

This seems like a sublime solution to prevent 0-100 charges.

Also a 100% charge in Android doesn't always mean 100% charged. Samsung might have prevented the battery from going above 95% theoretical charge by making the sensor(inside the battery) say it's 100% where it's actually not on a 100% charge yet. I've read about this on a li-ion battery topic.

siin

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Since the S6 only comes with a fast charger, would anybody suggest purchasing another charger that isn't "fast charging"?
If so, any suggestion/recommendations?

No need too buy one, just plug into a USB port if you want to slowly charge.

Tyler Stanton

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I've put my S7 Edge in the refrigerator while fast charging to keep it cool. Works wonders, It gets really, really warm when fast charging so I don't do it often, but when I do do it, I like to have something counteracting that heat. So I put my phone in my wine fridge which is at 45-55 degrees. Been doing it for a few years now with all my phones that fast charge or wirelessly charge.

Jimmy Le1

May 22, 2015
Visit site
I've put my S7 Edge in the refrigerator while fast charging to keep it cool. Works wonders, It gets really, really warm when fast charging so I don't do it often, but when I do do it, I like to have something counteracting that heat. So I put my phone in my wine fridge which is at 45-55 degrees. Been doing it for a few years now with all my phones that fast charge or wirelessly charge.

I use wire fast charge my SG6 every night , don't see the heat problem though ..
If I were you ..I would not put it in refrigerator ...
Time to time the condensation will sneak in that might damage your phone ..

Shayne Osceola

May 3, 2016
Visit site
So if I use fast chager all of the time does the battery suffer damage? Also, is it true or just rumor that if you don't let your battery completely uncharge before recharging, it shortens the life of the battery (in terms of usage, etc)

Lastly, by using a fast charger, does the phone un-charge faster during usage? Another rumor going around. Please let me know and thank you. [email removed by Mod per guidelines] I would greatly appreciate that.

Last edited by a moderator:

myandroidgs6

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
So if I use fast chager all of the time does the battery suffer damage? Also, is it true or just rumor that if you don't let your battery completely uncharge before recharging, it shortens the life of the battery (in terms of usage, etc)

Lastly, by using a fast charger, does the phone un-charge faster during usage? Another rumor going around. Please let me know and thank you. [email removed by Mod per guidelines] I would greatly appreciate that.

1/ Some phones get heat problem ... mine does not ... been using it every night for over a year now .
2/ New Li-ion Cell Phone Battereis don't have mem.. so it ok .. I would start to charge when it gets to 30 or 40%
3/ NO .. After fast charged it will discharge normally ...

IMO ...:)

Patricia Wesley

May 13, 2016
Visit site
The Samsung galaxy s 6 edge plus phone fast charger is a rip off. I am on my second, and as the first that the phone came with before a replacement, within two months, the charger is unreliable. Some days, I plug it in, and it charges. Many other days, it does not charge up the phone, and by morning, I wake up to a dead phone. I think it was the charger that crashed my last phone when I woke up to a clear white page. Right now, I'm using a charger of another cheap device my daughter uses to get my phone charged. Fast charging chargers are a cheap way of misleading people. I'm disappointed.

TheChainDude13

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Since the S6 only comes with a fast charger, would anybody suggest purchasing another charger that isn't "fast charging"?
If so, any suggestion/recommendations?
Instead, you can go to settings 》battery scroll to the bottom and find "fast cable charging" turn it off. Note that you must not have the device plugged in to switch the setting. I hope this helps

becool773

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
To slow charge a S7, do we have to turn off fast charging from the settings and then charge via the charger that came with the phone(the so called fast charger) or should we use a charger from an old phone say SIII etc.?
Does this hold true for Motorola's phone also which have turbo charging option?
Also how to measure battery cycles? Any credible app for the same?