Did you know - Next plan eliminates off contract discount?

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
If you are with AT&T and you go anywhere and upgrade your phone to the Samsung Galaxy S6 that you loose your contract on your rate plans ?
I just found out that after ordering a Samsung Galaxy S6 phone from Best Buy last Friday.
That I will be made to pay twenty something dollars a month to go on the NEXT Plan.

I Refuse to go to the NEXT plan. If they wasn't making money off it they wouldn't be trying to push it.

I got decisions to make. I may be going to Walmart and getting their phone and their service.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Did you know

wait, if you are eligible for upgrade at ATT, doesn't that mean your contract is almost over anyway?

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

wait, if you are eligible for upgrade at ATT, doesn't that mean your contract is almost over anyway?

If you are eligible for a upgrade. And you upgrade and sign the papers to upgrade the phone. They change your contract and you wind up going to a new contract which cost more. They try to make it sound like you are saving money. You can get a new phone ever 12 months. But if you keep the phone over 12 months they win. Or if you leave the carrier they also win,

Remember this Nothing in Life if free.

I've already called AT&T and talked and screamed with them about this.
I've called Verizon and they said also I would have to go on their next plan.
Just think if everybody on every carrier pays twenty something dollars more a month how many Billions of dollars of revenue they are gonna make.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You are probably currently getting the off contract pricing on att. If you get a phone on contract, then you would lose the $15/25 discount per line(assuming mobile share value) . If you buy on next (device payment plan) then you keep the discount, but have to pay for the phone, either in full, or through a device payment plan (next).

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

AT&T and Verizon both said. Your bill goes up twenty something dollars a month. But at the end of the year you get a new phone.
I'm retired. And on a budget. Now willing to pay twenty something dollars a month more.
If you got twenty something dollars a month more you sign the contract.

I will decide when I will get a new phone. Not somebody else.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

AT&T and Verizon both said. Your bill goes up twenty something dollars a month. But at the end of the year you get a new phone.
I'm retired. And on a budget. Now willing to pay twenty something dollars a month more.
If you got twenty something dollars a month more you sign the contract.

I will decide when I will get a new phone. Not somebody else.

Is T-mobile an option for you?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
AT&T told me that I would lose my discounts if I converted to Next and did the mobile share plan

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
From what I was told, samsung charges the carrier full price for the phone. So in turn, the consumer will all pay full price. If I get the S6 on the next plan for 44.95 a month it comes to around 600 after 12 payments (at that point I can get a new phone and start all over). If I use my upgrade, I would pay 299 for the phone but my bill goes up $25 a month for 2 years (there goes that $600 again). Either way, I'll pay full price for the phone. All carriers are doing the same, they just dress it up differently.

Posted via the Android Central App

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

Is T-mobile an option for you?

Agree they're worth investigating if you haven't recently. T-Mobile has done lots of work on their network in the last couple years, and I'm seeing much more continuous coverage even when I travel outside my normal home and work zones. I'm very happy with them. I've been a customer of Verizon's and AT&T in the past and would never have said that about either of them.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
From what I was told, samsung charges the carrier full price for the phone. So in turn, the consumer will all pay full price. If I get the S6 on the next plan for 44.95 a month it comes to around 600 after 12 payments (at that point I can get a new phone and start all over). If I use my upgrade, I would pay 299 for the phone but my bill goes up $25 a month for 2 years (there goes that $600 again). Either way, I'll pay full price for the phone. All carriers are doing the same, they just dress it up differently.

Posted via the Android Central App

I have a Family Share plan, I pay 100.00 a month for unlimited talk, Text and 10gb data and I have hotspot.

I loose all my family share plan and my bill goes up about 50.00 a month .
Which would be somewhere in the 148.00 range.

Just came from Verzion and the same plan would be up to 180.00 a month.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

Any upgrade I do though AT&T itself gives me the option to do Next or do a 2 year contract. I've never been forced into either, though every carrier is going to push Next/Edge/whatever over a contact. Next itself isn't a contact, you're just agreeing to pay full price for the phone over the course of 20 or 24 payments in exchange for getting a certain amount off your bill each month.

For me Next is cheaper then a contact. Between my work discount and the discount for being on Next it covers the monthly cost of the phone and I pay a few bucks less then if I got a contact. For quite a few people Next works and for quite a few it doesn't.

AT&T isn't making much (if any) extra money off of Next since you're pretty much just paying what AT&T paid for the phone, maybe a bit more since the aim to make money, and they reduce your service cost each month by $15 or $25. I'm guessing they make more money off doing whatever it is the do when you turn your phone in after 12/18/24 months.

Regardless, you should still be able to upgrade and sign a new contact so long as you are eligible to upgrade your current phone. If you aren't eligible for an upgrade, which I think is 24 months since your last upgrade, then yeah, Next would be the only option.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
If you are with AT&T and you go anywhere and upgrade your phone to the Samsung Galaxy S6 that you loose your contract on your rate plans ?
I just found out that after ordering a Samsung Galaxy S6 phone from Best Buy last Friday.
That I will be made to pay twenty something dollars a month to go on the NEXT Plan.

I Refuse to go to the NEXT plan. If they wasn't making money off it they wouldn't be trying to push it.

I got decisions to make. I may be going to Walmart and getting their phone and their service.

NEXT is actually good. Its better than being stuck on a contract. I used NEXT to upgrade my phone to the S6. I had to pay $400 get an early upgrade because I got my Galaxy S5 with Next, but I sold it on eBay otherwise, I would have just had to pay $200 for a trade-in. This is considering the fact I got the S5 last year. AT&T usually doesn't let you upgrade that early. I can easily sell my Z3 for $500+ so I can make up for it.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Any upgrade I do though AT&T itself gives me the option to do Next or do a 2 year contract. I've never been forced into either, though every carrier is going to push Next/Edge/whatever over a contact. Next itself isn't a contact, you're just agreeing to pay full price for the phone over the course of 20 or 24 payments in exchange for getting a certain amount off your bill each month.

For me Next is cheaper then a contact. Between my work discount and the discount for being on Next it covers the monthly cost of the phone and I pay a few bucks less then if I got a contact. For quite a few people Next works and for quite a few it doesn't.

AT&T isn't making much (if any) extra money off of Next since you're pretty much just paying what AT&T paid for the phone, maybe a bit more since the aim to make money, and they reduce your service cost each month by $15 or $25. I'm guessing they make more money off doing whatever it is the do when you turn your phone in after 12/18/24 months.

Regardless, you should still be able to upgrade and sign a new contact so long as you are eligible to upgrade your current phone. If you aren't eligible for an upgrade, which I think is 24 months since your last upgrade, then yeah, Next would be the only option.

I called AT&T 611 on the AT&T phone, and walked into the AT&T store.
They said when I upgrade my phone on the 199.00 Upgrade. I will loose my family share plan and my rates will go up.
Just spend all afternoon going to the stores.
They will not let me upgrade and keep the same rates I have.

If you can do it. Your doing something I can't do.and I have been with them for 15 yrs.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
NEXT is actually good. Its better than being stuck on a contract. I used NEXT to upgrade my phone to the S6. I had to pay $400 get an early upgrade because I got my Galaxy S5 with Next, but I sold it on eBay otherwise, I would have just had to pay $200 for a trade-in. This is considering the fact I got the S5 last year. AT&T usually doesn't let you upgrade that early. I can easily sell my Z3 for $500+ so I can make up for it.

What if you don't upgrade in a year.
Or what if you change carriers because of service ?
You are still locked into the carrier as far as I'm concerned.

I don't see it as a win situation. I see it as somebody having more control.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
What if you don't upgrade in a year.
Or what if you change carriers because of service ?
You are still locked into the carrier as far as I'm concerned.

I don't see it as a win situation. I see it as somebody having more control.

The good thing about Next is you dont have to pay the ETF fee, which would be like $300+ if you were on a contract.
After each month you pay, the cost of upgrade goes down, and eventually you will get a free upgrade without paying anything

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

I called AT&T 611 on the AT&T phone, and walked into the AT&T store.
They said when I upgrade my phone on the 199.00 Upgrade. I will loose my family share plan and my rates will go up.
Just spend all afternoon going to the stores.
They will not let me upgrade and keep the same rates I have.

If you can do it. Your doing something I can't do.and I have been with them for 15 yrs.

Ah, OK, they have finally kicked the Family Share plans to the curb. I was on the Family Share 700 when I went to Next around last June and back then you could still keep the Family Share plan if you signed a new contract. I didn't know they finally shut them down.