Think I'm canceling

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My bill will be 50+28 a month = $78 a month. Unlimited talk, text, and high speed data.

I'll be paying my phone off in bulk soon though so it'll be just back to $50 a month. 32 GB Galaxy S6.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
How much are you guys paying in the US?

I might be going on a 2 year contract for $95 AUD per month (total cost $2280) which includes 3.5gb data per month. And that's just for the basic 32gb Galaxy S6 (not the Edge).

We get screwed over big time on phones.

It's depends on the phone, carrier, plan, etc. I pay just under $1,000 per year for 1GB data w/rollover data (I have so much WiFi at home or work I barely use .3GB a month) and can get a phone every 12 months since I pay each month on the phone. If I just outright paid for the phone It'd be about $700 a year for service.

In the US we don't get screwed on phones, we get screwed on data service.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

I might be going on a 2 year contract for $95 AUD per month (total cost $2280) which includes 3.5gb data per month. And that's just for the basic 32gb Galaxy S6 (not the Edge).

Yes Australian prices are crazy, the only way around it is to buy last years flagship, just always be one year behind. Easier said than done, especially for us tech nerds.

Posted via Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Verizon prices are a rip off. AT&T is not much better.
I pay on AT&T, $100 for unlimited calling and text, plus 10gb of data. With $15 per line for my family plan.
So with 2 lines, I pay $130 If I'm not paying off any phones.

AT&T let's you buy the phone separately, so I'm not including such monthly interest free rates per month.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's depends on the phone, carrier, plan, etc. I pay just under $1,000 per year for 1GB data w/rollover data (I have so much WiFi at home or work I barely use .3GB a month) and can get a phone every 12 months since I pay each month on the phone. If I just outright paid for the phone It'd be about $700 a year for service.

In the US we don't get screwed on phones, we get screwed on data service.

Depends where you live. I pay $50 for unlimited all. I'm at 130 GB this month. Bill won't change.

If you live in a remote area with less competition though... Then you're screwed.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Depends where you live. I pay $50 for unlimited all. I'm at 130 GB this month. Bill won't change.

If you live in a remote area with less competition though... Then you're screwed.

If I lived in Houston, Texas with 6.3 million people prices don't change.
Only thing about the country, is the limit of carriers that their phones works here.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Only thing about the country, is the limit of carriers that their phones works here.

I don't live in Houston Texas? If you live out in the middle of nowhere you're not going to have as much completion....for wireless or anything really. That's known. So you have to live with what's avaliable.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

So you're going to quit a service that works for you because you don't want to buy your own phone? I'm confused.

Just do as I said before and just buy the phone from Verizon and tell them to activate it on your number. Problem solved and no contact change.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Prices are not subjective to the location you live. My plan would cost the same wither I lived in Kansas City or in Whatever, Montana. No carrier tailors their plan for a certain area of the US, you pay the same everywhere. The only difference is you could choose another carrier, and I'm not sure any would do what you are looking for. T-Mobile does not even do contacts. You pay full price up front or pay each month, though their plans tend to be cheaper to make up for that and the fact that for the moment their service coverage is less then the big 2. Many say the cheaper plan model that T-Mobile uses is not sustainable long term as it grows rapidly and has to aggressively expand coverage to meet demand.

Even Sprint charges you more if you sign a contact on their plans. To get around that you can pay every month or lease a phone and never own it.

The old days of plans and contacts are over as they are no longer sustainable money wise. The original Galaxy S was around $400-$500 off contract when it came out . The S6 is $699 to over $900. If you want to the carrier to knock off $400 to $600 from the price of the phone they had to pay for the phone then they will recoup that cost in the pan and then get a bit more to eak out a profit for each line. It may not seem like it but the profit margin for each line is not that high. The sheer number of people who pay each month make up for that. Sprint is a prime example of things getting bad when the customer start fading away. It didn't take long for my former employer to start loosing money once the people jumped ship.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Just in a general sense, expenses are out of hand. Between cable/cell phone I'm at $350/mo for technology access...it hurts. That's a car payment easy.

$67 for my cell phone through VZ (includes a 27% corporate discount) $40 internet service on Comcast, plus $8 Netflix. for me, that's enough .... fight back with your wallet, it's not like they're holding a gun to our heads

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
$67 for my cell phone through VZ (includes a 27% corporate discount) $40 internet service on Comcast, plus $8 Netflix. for me, that's enough .... fight back with your wallet, it's not like they're holding a gun to our heads

Why people pay for land lines and TV in general today I just don't know. People are nuts what they spend on monthly home entertainment and I'm not against it, I just went give them my money when I have other options.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

It's the sports programming that racks up the $$ with their tiered levels. No way around that yet unfortunately, so if you want to watch you don't have much choice. A la carte can rack up some $$ too. Trust me, I'm looking into alternatives.

I'm on 2 gigs with 2 phones on VZ, unlimited voice, text and pay $159.72, I could bounce to a lower data plan which I might but I'm looking into options.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Why people pay for land lines and TV in general today I just don't know. People are nuts what they spend on monthly home entertainment and I'm not against it, I just went give them my money when I have other options.

What are your viewing habits to make a statement like that?

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
With all due respect this should really be in a carrier discussion thread and not an S6 thread.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
As long as carriers can offer new devices for minimum amounts of cash and offering device upgrades 1 and half years into a 2 year contract like AT&T and Verizon do and require a 2 year contract when you get that new device your rates are going to increase. Your paying for the convenience of being able to upgrade your device inside a 2 year contract and with using less money to do so.

Only way OUT is paying more upfront for a unlocked GSM device and shopping carriers.

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Would have to go to Straight Talks site and see if they allow the S6. But I will be paying the same price that I pay now without upgrading. And Now I have 10 GB data.
On prepay its 2.5 GB data.
How do I could out ahead. I don't

Only option is to not upgrade ever again.
Can't believe more people are not happy with this new plan.

I assume that you mean the att "next" plan. The details of your plan are confusing to me, probably because I am on a much smaller plan. I asked them (ATT) about upgrading. They tried to push the "Next" plan on me. The "next" plan would cost me $15 more a month. I would be getting more data, but I really don't need that much data. It took me a long time to get the info that I could have my same plan I have now with a two year contract. They don't even have the 2 yr contract plan on the website anymore. I have a grandfathered plan, and if I ever change I will lose it and can't get it back.

I guess I am wondering if your plan is one that is grandfathered and you can keep with a 2 year contract plan. Sometimes talking to a different person helps.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Technically no one holds a gun to anyone's head but .. If you want things .. such as Sports you have to pay. If you can survive on Netflix but some may like other programming they can only get through the provider. Remember just because that works for your needs doesn't mean it is the same for everyone :).

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Technically no one holds a gun to anyone's head but .. If you want things .. such as Sports you have to pay. If you can survive on Netflix but some may like other programming they can only get through the provider. Remember just because that works for your needs doesn't mean it is the same for everyone :).

i think you misunderstood ... i never said, or insinuated that my solution works for everyone. nor do i pass judgement on anybody that spends any amount of money on cable, phone, etc.

what i am saying is that too often people complain about their bills, meanwhile they're driving a BMW with a new iPhone every year, have the premium cable packages and take a trip to Aruba every winter. if that's what they want to spend their money on, so be it. it's just the people that complain about it, but aren't willing to sacrifice anything that bothers me.

personally, i'll skip the bmw. give me the honda accord with $15k left in my bank account instead. and forget hbo, i'd rather take my son to a few playoff games every year!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze