if you could install 3rd party launchers, would you consider iPhone?

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if people that install launchers to their S6, or any android device for that matter, would consider iPhone if they had the option to do so.

I don't know how to root my phone (though it looks easy enough) and I'm not interested in learning. I use a Nexus 4 and S4 with Nova and prefer Google's apps to Apple's, so for me, I'd never consider iPhone.

Almost every review on the S6 (annoyingly) compared it to the iPhone 6, and I'm just wondering how many people would actually consider one with the 3rd party launcher option. I'd be more inclined to consider it, but again, without several Google apps that I use everyday, it just wouldn't be an option.

my next 2 phones (business/personal) will most likely be either the S6/Nexus 2015 or Note 5/Moto X 3rd edition ... I'm waiting on battery test results and reviews after the dust settles with the S6. The Note 5 I'll preorder as long as it keeps the removable battery (not so concerned about SD card). Moto X improves camera and battery and I'll preorder one. And the Nexus 2015, just don't partner with Hauwei, hopefully come with USB-C and 64 bit, and I'll get 3 years (minimum) out of it.

iPhone 6s, even with Nova, I just couldn't do it. As much as I love my iPad and recently replaced MacBook (with Dell XPS 13 ... AMAZING laptop) I just don't see how the iPhone beats out the S6. I have to believe the early reports on battery drain, specifically while idle, is just the phone getting used to itself and it'll improve ... at least that's what I'm hoping, cause I handled it at BB and it's amazing. Double tap for camera, finger print scanner, the camera, quick charge and wireless charging, I mean, cmon!

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I had a 6+ for awhile. It's fun but to me it's not just a Launcher thing. That is actually the least thing I'd care about. It's background tasks. Unless you're playing music... Everything has to be in the foreground to download, upload, or whatever. It sounds small but you don't realize how much you use it till it's gone.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Even with launchers, there is still some commonality of how icons and folders are set up and how certain functions are laid out. A launcher on an iPhone would pretty much just change the icons, at least I'd think. I love my iPad but I doubt I could do an iPhone.

Plus if there is something I don't care for about the new iPhone model then, well, too bad. At least with Android I have options and can shop around for what fits me best.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Even with launchers, there is still some commonality of how icons and folders are set up and how certain functions are laid out. A launcher on an iPhone would pretty much just change the icons, at least I'd think. I love my iPad but I doubt I could do an iPhone.

Plus if there is something I don't care for about the new iPhone model then, well, too bad. At least with Android I have options and can shop around for what fits me best.

Well stated. Concise and impact full.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
one of my biggest concerns was deleting the text underneath icons. BT my ocd and liking clean, simple lines, that was a major factor in choosing android over iphone. one thing that apple just does a great job with is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. that and it's relatively compatible eco system are things i admire, but certainly aren't enough of a reason for me to consider one. in a perfect world, android devices would all come with the option to run pure android and all preinstalled apps would either not come installed, or they'd offer the option to remove them.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Not I. I'm a little too deep into the Android ecosystem to walk away and I picked this platform for how open it is. Additionally, I can do things with an Android phone for my job that I would be unable to do with an iPhone.

My wife has an iPhone and she likes it. I am able to use her phone any time I want and every time I do, I'm reminded that I'm happy with my decision.

jojen

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Use of 3rd party launchers doesn't factor into my phone buying at all because basically the only one I can stand to use for a long period of time is Nova, and if something ever happened to Nova and I bought a device based on using it, that wouldn't leave me in a good place.

flamingoezz

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I try to be open every time I upgrade. I started with original Galaxy S, went to 2 iphones, and am now getting the S6. The launcher hasn't been a consideration in any of my changes between phone platforms. reliability of the OS and apps has been. hopefully the s6 is polished as far as that is concerned.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11