Engadget Review is up

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand how they rated the Edge worse? They say how great looking it is and how it is the same exact thing as the regular S6 otherwise, so why would it be rated lower? Only thing I can think of is cost/benefit ratio or something? I don't see that factored in though, but maybe I missed it. Even though they say that the edge screen doesn't do much. Doesn't do much is more than not having an edge and not doing anything at all, right?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand how they rated the Edge worse? They say how great looking it is and how it is the same exact thing as the regular S6 otherwise, so why would it be rated lower? Only thing I can think of is cost/benefit ratio or something? I don't see that factored in though, but maybe I missed it. Even though they say that the edge screen doesn't do much. Doesn't do much is more than not having an edge and not doing anything at all, right?

The reaction the tech bloggers have had to the Edge is absolutely hilarious. Devoid of whether you think it feels better in the hand or not, how is it worse? It's got a slightly bigger battery and the same internals coupled with other software features exclusive to the Edge. Whether you use them or not, they're there and don't detract from the experience. It should be rated higher, but noted that if you don't want to pay extra for it, the regular S6 is the best choice.

Posted via the Android Central App

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
The reaction the tech bloggers have had to the Edge is absolutely hilarious. Devoid of whether you think it feels better in the hand or not, how is it worse? It's got a slightly bigger battery and the same internals coupled with other software features exclusive to the Edge. Whether you use them or not, they're there and don't detract from the experience. It should be rated higher, but noted that if you don't want to pay extra for it, the regular S6 is the best choice.

Agreed. If they think the Edge adds literally nothing as far as looks and experience goes, then give it the same rating as the S6. If there are only a couple small positives, but no negatives that they stated, then how could it be rated lower?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. If they think the Edge adds literally nothing as far as looks and experience goes, then give it the same rating as the S6. If there are only a couple small positives, but no negatives that they stated, then how could it be rated lower?

It's the phone that'll get a "Wow" every time someone sees it for the first time. In my opinion, it's a better looking phone than both the M9 and iPhone 6. Even if none of the functions were present, I'd still pick the Edge just because of the aesthetics.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
It's the phone that'll get a "Wow" every time someone sees it for the first time. In my opinion, it's a better looking phone than both the M9 and iPhone 6. Even if none of the functions were present, I'd still pick the Edge just because of the aesthetics.

Me too, and if AT&T had it right now in green I'll take it without even thinking about it. Sadly, I don't feel like waiting 6 months so I'll take a regular in black.
(but you never know. It does look hot in black too)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well you have to remember.. A review is their opinion...so therefore if it feels worse I could see rating it worse. If that is how the reviewer feels.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Well you have to remember.. A review is their opinion...so therefore if it feels worse I could see rating it worse. If that is how the reviewer feels.

By all means, but it's more their inability to understand it's place that's annoying. Everyone isn't going to think it's great and that's fine.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Me too, and if AT&T had it right now in green I'll take it without even thinking about it. Sadly, I don't feel like waiting 6 months so I'll take a regular in black.
(but you never know. It does look hot in black too)

I feel you on the green. So wish that was an option.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am third on the green. That color does look awesome but.... Of course we don't have it :(

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
until there is more software to back up the point of the edged sides, then i don't see any benefit of it at all and with the added price point, its a negative to me.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
By all means, but it's more their inability to understand it's place that's annoying. Everyone isn't going to think it's great and that's fine.

I think they understand it. But for the price premium, the features they maybe deem aren't useful and being more difficult to grip would detract it.

If it didn't come at a price premium, maybe they wouldn't be so harsh, but if Samsung want to charge an extra $100, it had better come with $100 extra value.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I think they understand it. But for the price premium, the features they maybe deem aren't useful and being more difficult to grip would detract it.

If it didn't come at a price premium, maybe they wouldn't be so harsh, but if Samsung want to charge an extra $100, it had better come with $100 extra value.

To some, the aesthetic difference alone is worth the premium. See: Watch, Apple.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
And to the people who reviewed the S6 and S6 Edge and gave the Edge a lower score - the aesthetic difference wasn't worth the premium.

That's up to the consumer, but stifling innovation when all they do is ***** about it is solid stuff. Especially when some of them admittedly would want the Edge if it was the same price. Vlad from the Verge literally said it didn't play well with Lollipop. I'm guessing he's never swiped in a side menu before. There's just a lack of understanding, but it doesn't really matter. People will buy it regardless of how it's rated.