04-06-2015 09:50 AM
76 1234
tools
    Yeah I don't trust a carrier website for reviews. To many people just ranting and ratings things down .. without even owning the device.
    What I want to know is what kind of retail unit GSMArena got. That's a decent improvement even for a battery test.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-03-2015 03:36 PM
    What I want to know is what kind of retail unit GSMArena got. That's a decent improvement even for a battery test.

Yeah .. those battery tests always make me say "eh" mainly because .. Video playback to me is I stream video .. whereas to them it is we play it off device memory. There are tons of other real world factors that can play into how certain things (like LTE streaming or weak cell signal) mess with real world battery uses.
    04-03-2015 03:39 PM
    Yeah .. those battery tests always make me say "eh" mainly because .. Video playback to me is I stream video .. whereas to them it is we play it off device memory. There are tons of other real world factors that can play into how certain things (like LTE streaming or weak cell signal) mess with real world battery uses.
    Well either way, improvement on that test should result in improvement in real world use, even if we can't quantify it the same way.

04-03-2015 03:51 PM
    Well either way, improvement on that test should result in improvement in real world use, even if we can't quantify it the same way.

To an extent sure but .. Testing one feature (nothing but video 24/7) is eh since most do a lot more .. texting.. pictures .. all that. So it helps to establish a base but not real world like testing.
    04-03-2015 04:08 PM
    s5 actually scored 85 rating after lollipop, so no. But it still is a very good rating, should help people feeling safer.
    It's 83 for S5 with Lollipop to be exact and I recall it was about 72 with KitKat, right on par with this new S6 result.

But in real world S5 with Lollipop is struggling to match even KitKat performance no matter trying proper install, changing battery, etc.
    04-03-2015 05:02 PM
    It's 83 for S5 with Lollipop to be exact and I recall it was about 72 with KitKat, right on par with this new S6 result.

But in real world S5 with Lollipop is struggling to match even KitKat performance no matter trying proper install, changing battery, etc.
    I doubt there are many people with s5 did factory reset and put in a new battery to test the battery. If someone did it, please do share a link, would be interesting to read.

I do, however, agree that sammy's update brought s6 to a quite respectable level in terms of battery life. I said twice in many previous discussions, that the standby of s6 can be improved and should result in significant leap in endurance rating.
    04-03-2015 05:16 PM

S5 performs better than kitkat after lollipop issues are settled

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    04-03-2015 05:29 PM
    So the iPhone lost to the S6/Edge in talk time, Web Browsing, Video Playback and custom rating. You won't see iphone users commenting on this or will claim its rigged.

Source: Battery life tests - GSMArena.com

iPhone 6
    Talk Time 12:23h
    Web Browsing 10:29h
    Video Playback 9:24h
    Custom Rating 61h

Galaxy S6
    Talk Time 19:48h
    Web Browsing 10:56h
    Video Playback 12:12h
    Custom Rating 73h

Galaxy S6 Edge
    Talk Time 19:48h
    Web Browsing 10:56h
    Video Playback 12h
    Custom Rating 73h
    edgefever and jcp007 like this.
    04-03-2015 05:35 PM
    S5 performs better than kitkat after lollipop issues are settled

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.
    Yes, and now Verizon Note4 is getting Lollipop - lots of satisfied posts.
    04-03-2015 05:53 PM
    This makes me feel SO much better...can't wait to actually test it our Friday
    20blks and jcp007 like this.
    04-03-2015 07:41 PM
    These results look more promising. I like these numbers better.
    04-03-2015 07:46 PM
    This makes me feel SO much better...can't wait to actually test it our Friday
    You go to class and then get it. I will go at lunch and we can both post first impressions.
    04-03-2015 10:46 PM
    You go to class and then get it. I will go at lunch and we can both post first impressions.
    Luckily, I have no classes on Friday Will get the phone first thing in the morning
    04-03-2015 10:57 PM
    Luckily, I have no classes on Friday Will get the phone first thing in the morning
    Smart man. I remember my senior year avoiding Friday classes was one of my highest priorities.

Luckily now I work from home every Friday so hoping for an early delivery from my UPS guy.
    04-04-2015 04:33 AM
    Smart man. I remember my senior year avoiding Friday classes was one of my highest priorities.

Luckily now I work from home every Friday so hoping for an early delivery from my UPS guy.
    thats why we schedule tests on Fridays. Haha.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    04-04-2015 04:58 AM
    thats why we schedule tests on Fridays. Haha.
    sounds like a fellow teacher, lol!
    clevin likes this.
    04-04-2015 05:14 AM
    Battery life
    The Samsung Galaxy S6 edge comes with a 2,600mAh Li-Ion battery, the same capacity as the Galaxy S4. Unlike the S4, however, the S6 edge battery is sealed inside. You can use the charger from the retail box to quickly top up the battery - 10 minutes charging for 4 hours of usage says Samsung.
    The company has also enabled wireless charging, supporting the two existing standards. Qi has been used in Nexus and Lumia phones and even some McDonald's stores in Europe have charging mats. The other standard, PMA, is featured in certain Starbucks locations and is more popular in the US. The dual-standard support means it will be easier to find a place to top up your battery.
    The Galaxy S6 edge Endurance rating came out to 73 hours, in other words you should get three full days of casual usage. With heavy usage you'll be looking for a charger (wired or otherwise) on the second day.
    It posted some great times in the individual tests. In the Web browsing test the Galaxy S6 edge actually beat its predecessor by an hour for an impressive 11 hour run. Same with the video playback - a solid achievement considering the sharper screen.
    Note that the S6 edge screen is slightly darker (200nits vs 275nits) than the Galaxy S5 at the 50% slider position we use for testing.
    Anyway, at 20h the talk time is lower than the Galaxy S5 but it should hardly be a problem. The overall numbers come very close to the Sony Xperia Z3, which has a beefier 3,100mAh battery. It also beats the HTC One M9 and the Apple iPhone 6 by quite a margin.

Read the GSMArena review. Three full days? Awesome. Heavy use and reaching for battery the second day? Awesome. PhoneArena reporting similar results. Hopefully the trend comtinues.
    04-04-2015 12:50 PM
    Well, I think people are crazy to buy a phone when they first come out. At least wait a month or two to see how things go. All this "gotta have something as soon as it comes out" stuff is just plain dumb. I won't get a S6 just cuz you can't change out the battery. That's one of the reasons why I left Apple in the first place. I think the iphone is a great phone, but I like my S3 and S4 better. YMMV.
    KJ78 likes this.
    04-04-2015 07:22 PM
    Well, I think people are crazy to buy a phone when they first come out. At least wait a month or two to see how things go.
    Shopping expensive stuff is always a rushed decision for many, if we cool down and wait, we will find that we really don't need new toys after all. lol
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    04-04-2015 07:29 PM

First stop after work on Friday is Best Buy. Pick up my black sapphire Ferrari and rugged case for it. If I get the Defender, I will try and post a review of the case on my YouTube channel, TheJCP006.
    04-04-2015 09:33 PM
    You can stick those benchmarks where the sun don't shine sorry

04-04-2015 09:42 PM
    Wait why are Tmobile versions having battery issues? That's worrisome.
    04-04-2015 09:53 PM
    Wait why are Tmobile versions having battery issues? That's worrisome.
    Apparently something to do with WiFi calling. The first day I had the phone, my battery dropped 20% during my 40 minute drive to work. That evening, I turned WiFi calling off and the battery is MUCH better. I was accustomed to the battery of a OnePlus One and a Note 4, so I'm getting used to a smaller battery.
    04-04-2015 09:58 PM
    Apparently something to do with WiFi calling. The first day I had the phone, my battery dropped 20% during my 40 minute drive to work. That evening, I turned WiFi calling off and the battery is MUCH better. I was accustomed to the battery of a OnePlus One and a Note 4, so I'm getting used to a smaller battery.
    Is wifi calling being enabled by default and you have to disable it?
    04-04-2015 10:22 PM
    Is wifi calling being enabled by default and you have to disable it?
    Yes for T-Mobile. It is just a quick toggle to turn off.
    Attached Thumbnails First battery life and performance numbers with final/retail unit-1428205248568.jpg  
    MarqBland likes this.
    04-04-2015 10:40 PM
76 1234