First battery life and performance numbers with final/retail unit

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
GSM finally re-did their tests on the final/retail S6/S6 Edge units today, and the performance and battery-life figures improved tremendously.

battery-test-s6-2.jpg

I'm relieved to see 11 hr web-browsing and 12 hr video playback, which confirms the official numbers Samsung gave us at MWC. I knew early numbers were incorrect, seeing as how Samsung never lied about battery life figures for previous Samsung phones.

Performance, especially 3D performance, has improved tremendously.
All the charts on this link: Samsung Galaxy S6 review: Subject Zero - page 5 - GSMArena.com

To summarize, the S6's benchmark scores are more stable now. On Antutu, it hovers around a 69,000-70,000 area instead of giving the odd 56,000-61,000 in the pre-release units.
Its GeekBench multicore score is now at 5,200, which is a sizeable increase from 4,500-4,600 from pre-release units.

Moving to 3D performance, the S6's off-screen performance for t-rex is now at 59 FPS, which is 10-11 higher than its performance pre-release and much higher than any other phone.
I suggest we ignore on-screen performance, since those numbers don't factor in resolution and almost every single game runs at 1080p, so those numbers won't give us accurate readings.

In terms of browser and storage performance, the S6 is far ahead of every other phone.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
This whole battery life thing has been a roller coaster since announcement day. I have no clue if I'm going to have to recharge at 2pm or finish the day with 20%. The ratings are so different from everywhere.

I think if they can figure out how to make this phone idle without using a ton of battery, this phone's battery could be outstanding. I'm pretty sure these benchmark scores are usually don't factor in idle time. They are just constant tests and the S6 fares very very well when being used. My fingers are crossed that they fix the standby issue.

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
This whole battery life thing has been a roller coaster since announcement day. I have no clue if I'm going to have to recharge at 2pm or finish the day with 20%. The ratings are so different from everywhere.

That's because all reviewers were using a pre-release unit, which GSMArena confirmed had significantly worse battery life.
For the pre-release unit, the S6 had 64hr endurance, with 17 hr talk-time, 8 hour web-browsing and 10 hour video play-back.

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Please be right!

Thanks, I didn't know it factored in stand-by time. I thought they were just constant tests for web browsing, streaming video, etc.

They do both.
The ones on the bottom are constants with no stand-by.
For the endurance, they do an hour of talk, an hour of web browsing and an hour of video playback, then go on standby for 24ish hours before repeating until the battery drains.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
GSM finally re-did their tests on the final/retail S6/S6 Edge units today, and the performance and battery-life figures improved tremendously.

View attachment 169425

I'm relieved to see 11 hr web-browsing and 12 hr video playback, which confirms the official numbers Samsung gave us at MWC. I knew early numbers were incorrect, seeing as how Samsung never lied about battery life figures for previous Samsung phones.

Performance, especially 3D performance, has improved tremendously.
All the charts on this link: Samsung Galaxy S6 review: Subject Zero - page 5 - GSMArena.com

To summarize, the S6's benchmark scores are more stable now. On Antutu, it hovers around a 69,000-70,000 area instead of giving the odd 56,000-61,000 in the pre-release units.
Its GeekBench multicore score is now at 5,200, which is a sizeable increase from 4,500-4,600 from pre-release units.

Moving to 3D performance, the S6's off-screen performance for t-rex is now at 59 FPS, which is 10-11 higher than its performance pre-release and much higher than any other phone.
I suggest we ignore on-screen performance, since those numbers don't factor in resolution and almost every single game runs at 1080p, so those numbers won't give us accurate readings.

In terms of browser and storage performance, the S6 is far ahead of every other phone.

Fancy that. It scored higher than the S5.

Posted via the Android Central App

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
You guys are sounding like Samsung apologists. In other words, user reviews indicate horrendous battery life but they must be lying because of the above article right? I won't order one until the other carrier reviews come out.

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
You guys are sounding like Samsung apologists. In other words, user reviews indicate horrendous battery life but they must be lying because of the above article right? I won't order one until the other carrier reviews come out.

Someone sounds angry that a 1440p phone with 2550 mAH battery has significantly better battery life than a phone with 1080p with 2840 mAH battery.

S6 Vs. M9

battery-test-s6-2.jpg
gsmarena_001.jpg

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Not angry at all. So far it's a fail as far as battery life is concerned. Sounds like everyone is hoping for better results on other carriers.

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Not angry at all. So far it's a fail as far as battery life is concerned. Sounds like everyone is hoping for better results on other carriers.

How is it a fail?
I would rather trust an objective review than a few anonymous people on the internet who might just have defective units. In a batch of devices, a few will always have problems and those few will always make the loudest noises.
The people who are happy won't be on tech boards whining.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Anybody notice this little side note regarding the Edge version? It might have something to do with why people are having large battery drains over night:

Note that these numbers were achieved with Night Clock and other Edge features turned off. Night Clock takes an extra 3% per 12 hours, which has only a small impact on the total endurance. If you enable the other Edge features, the Endurance rating drops to 54 hours since the screen digitizer is active all the time.

It looks like having the swipe on the edge to show notifications is a significant battery drain. I guess the night clock is okay though...

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I trust user reviews more than your "objective review". Proof is in the pudding as they say. Even Andrew from AC believes the battery to be sub-par. Samsung didn't need a 1440p screen. The human eye can't even tell the difference in anything over 1080p. I don't think it's a TMobile issue at all, if falls on Samsung and Android combined in my opinion of coarse. Either that or you believe all these units to be defective. I highly doubt that.

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I trust user reviews more than your "objective review". Proof is in the pudding as they say. Even Andrew from AC believes the battery to be sub-par. Samsung didn't need a 1440p screen. The human eye can't even tell the difference in anything over 1080p. I don't think it's a TMobile issue at all, if falls on Samsung and Android combined in my opinion of coarse. Either that or you believe all these units to be defective. I highly doubt that.

Lol, okay. If the S6 has bad battery life, what does that say about other phones?

Here's what Ruddock said about the M9: "Yeah... I can't even keep using the One M9 as a daily driver. The thing is constantly unpairing itself from my G Watch R (like, twice a day), this morning it required a reset of the watch and uninstallation of Wear to re-pair. Couple that with crappy battery life (I have a whole 40 minutes of screen-on time today, battery is already at 66%), the lame camera, those infuriating power / volume buttons, and a complete non-refresh of Sense, and I don't even know why you'd bother with this phone.

HTC One M9: in case the One M8 set your expectations a little too high"

Objective tests are far better metrics for measuring battery life, as differences in usage are nulled. We see that when doing the same exact things, the S6 beats the M9, the G Flex 2, the iPhone 6 and 6+. It will probably beat every other flagship released this year as well.
What you're complaining about is as stupid as complaining that the best car manufacturer today doesn't have a 150 mpg rating, when that technology isn't even available yet.

You get the best battery life with the S6 for this year's flagships. You either accept it or you wait for next year's offerings if the best still doesn't meet your ridiculous expectations.

Last edited:

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Correct...let's just hold our collective breaths until the other releases have a chance to stretch their legs. Maybe by that time LG will have something close to release to compare with this spring.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

Not trying to pick a side here, but Andrew is using the T Mobile version as well so that would make sense why he's having similar battery life as the people that are complaining about on here. That doesn't mean that Verizon and AT&T won't have the same issue, but it does make sense why Andrew's findings are similar to the masses.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
How is it a fail?
I would rather trust an objective review than a few anonymous people on the internet who might just have defective units. In a batch of devices, a few will always have problems and those few will always make the loudest noises.
The people who are happy won't be on tech boards whining.

I've been reading lots of concerns here and at the carrier site and xda.
A lot of defective units out there?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Not trying to pick a side here, but Andrew is using the T Mobile version as well so that would make sense why he's having similar battery life as the people that are complaining about on here. That doesn't mean that Verizon and AT&T won't have the same issue, but it does make sense why Andrew's findings are similar to the masses.

If the AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint variants all have the same battery issues the T-Mobile variant seems to have, then we'll talk.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx