First battery life and performance numbers with final/retail unit

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Battery life
The Samsung Galaxy S6 edge comes with a 2,600mAh Li-Ion battery, the same capacity as the Galaxy S4. Unlike the S4, however, the S6 edge battery is sealed inside. You can use the charger from the retail box to quickly top up the battery - 10 minutes charging for 4 hours of usage says Samsung.
The company has also enabled wireless charging, supporting the two existing standards. Qi has been used in Nexus and Lumia phones and even some McDonald's stores in Europe have charging mats. The other standard, PMA, is featured in certain Starbucks locations and is more popular in the US. The dual-standard support means it will be easier to find a place to top up your battery.
The Galaxy S6 edge Endurance rating came out to 73 hours, in other words you should get three full days of casual usage. With heavy usage you'll be looking for a charger (wired or otherwise) on the second day.
It posted some great times in the individual tests. In the Web browsing test the Galaxy S6 edge actually beat its predecessor by an hour for an impressive 11 hour run. Same with the video playback - a solid achievement considering the sharper screen.
Note that the S6 edge screen is slightly darker (200nits vs 275nits) than the Galaxy S5 at the 50% slider position we use for testing.
Anyway, at 20h the talk time is lower than the Galaxy S5 but it should hardly be a problem. The overall numbers come very close to the Sony Xperia Z3, which has a beefier 3,100mAh battery. It also beats the HTC One M9 and the Apple iPhone 6 by quite a margin.

Read the GSMArena review. Three full days? Awesome. Heavy use and reaching for battery the second day? Awesome. PhoneArena reporting similar results. Hopefully the trend comtinues.

Bankokbob54

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, I think people are crazy to buy a phone when they first come out. At least wait a month or two to see how things go. All this "gotta have something as soon as it comes out" stuff is just plain dumb. I won't get a S6 just cuz you can't change out the battery. That's one of the reasons why I left Apple in the first place. I think the iphone is a great phone, but I like my S3 and S4 better. YMMV.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, I think people are crazy to buy a phone when they first come out. At least wait a month or two to see how things go.
Shopping expensive stuff is always a rushed decision for many, if we cool down and wait, we will find that we really don't need new toys after all. lol

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Smart man. I remember my senior year avoiding Friday classes was one of my highest priorities.

Luckily now I work from home every Friday so hoping for an early delivery from my UPS guy.

First stop after work on Friday is Best Buy. Pick up my black sapphire Ferrari and rugged case for it. If I get the Defender, I will try and post a review of the case on my YouTube channel, TheJCP006.

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
Wait why are Tmobile versions having battery issues? That's worrisome.

Apparently something to do with WiFi calling. The first day I had the phone, my battery dropped 20% during my 40 minute drive to work. That evening, I turned WiFi calling off and the battery is MUCH better. I was accustomed to the battery of a OnePlus One and a Note 4, so I'm getting used to a smaller battery.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Apparently something to do with WiFi calling. The first day I had the phone, my battery dropped 20% during my 40 minute drive to work. That evening, I turned WiFi calling off and the battery is MUCH better. I was accustomed to the battery of a OnePlus One and a Note 4, so I'm getting used to a smaller battery.

Is wifi calling being enabled by default and you have to disable it?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The One M9's battery is a disappointment. It's bigger than the S6 but either the S6 has more than enough power-saving tricks up it's sleeve to sip less power or HTC's software is un-optimized like heck. The camera performance on the M9 in Auto mode is letting it down. Manual adjustments reveal that underneath all that software mess, it's a very capable shooter.

I'm also pretty surprised at the S6's benchmark results on Antutu. If anything, that's MORE THAN TWICE the score my M7 gets. That Exynos 7 is monstrous.It also beat the LG G3 by a significant margin (the G3 scored 47k without any thermal throttling.)

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
After you toggle WiFi Calling off from the pull down, can you customize that toggle to be removed from the pulldown menu?

you can rearrange any item on pull down menu.

First, pull the menu down with two fingers, instead of one.
Screenshot_2015-04-05-06-05-34-1.jpg
Click edit icon on top right.

Drag the one you want to hide to the bottom.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The One M9's battery is a disappointment. It's bigger than the S6 but either the S6 has more than enough power-saving tricks up it's sleeve to sip less power or HTC's software is un-optimized like heck. The camera performance on the M9 in Auto mode is letting it down. Manual adjustments reveal that underneath all that software mess, it's a very capable shooter.

I'm also pretty surprised at the S6's benchmark results on Antutu. If anything, that's MORE THAN TWICE the score my M7 gets. That Exynos 7 is monstrous.It also beat the LG G3 by a significant margin (the G3 scored 47k without any thermal throttling.)

It could possibly be firmware related but also the chipset could be a factor as well.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Not everyone is having poor battery life. A guy on Reddit sent me this after I was skeptical of him saying he had good battery life:

IX11tXS.jpg
BAWgAaK.jpg

He said he's using auto brightness too. WiFi turned off completely

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995