04-06-2015 09:50 AM
76 123 ...
tools
    GSM finally re-did their tests on the final/retail S6/S6 Edge units today, and the performance and battery-life figures improved tremendously.

First battery life and performance numbers with final/retail unit-battery-test-s6-2.jpg

I'm relieved to see 11 hr web-browsing and 12 hr video playback, which confirms the official numbers Samsung gave us at MWC. I knew early numbers were incorrect, seeing as how Samsung never lied about battery life figures for previous Samsung phones.

Performance, especially 3D performance, has improved tremendously.
    All the charts on this link: Samsung Galaxy S6 review: Subject Zero - page 5 - GSMArena.com

To summarize, the S6's benchmark scores are more stable now. On Antutu, it hovers around a 69,000-70,000 area instead of giving the odd 56,000-61,000 in the pre-release units.
    Its GeekBench multicore score is now at 5,200, which is a sizeable increase from 4,500-4,600 from pre-release units.

Moving to 3D performance, the S6's off-screen performance for t-rex is now at 59 FPS, which is 10-11 higher than its performance pre-release and much higher than any other phone.
    I suggest we ignore on-screen performance, since those numbers don't factor in resolution and almost every single game runs at 1080p, so those numbers won't give us accurate readings.

In terms of browser and storage performance, the S6 is far ahead of every other phone.
    04-03-2015 01:48 PM
    This whole battery life thing has been a roller coaster since announcement day. I have no clue if I'm going to have to recharge at 2pm or finish the day with 20%. The ratings are so different from everywhere.

I think if they can figure out how to make this phone idle without using a ton of battery, this phone's battery could be outstanding. I'm pretty sure these benchmark scores are usually don't factor in idle time. They are just constant tests and the S6 fares very very well when being used. My fingers are crossed that they fix the standby issue.
    04-03-2015 02:01 PM
    This whole battery life thing has been a roller coaster since announcement day. I have no clue if I'm going to have to recharge at 2pm or finish the day with 20%. The ratings are so different from everywhere.
    That's because all reviewers were using a pre-release unit, which GSMArena confirmed had significantly worse battery life.
    For the pre-release unit, the S6 had 64hr endurance, with 17 hr talk-time, 8 hour web-browsing and 10 hour video play-back.
    04-03-2015 02:03 PM
    That's because all reviewers were using a pre-release unit, which GSMArena confirmed had significantly worse battery life.
    What about the people that have the phone now and are getting crappy battery life?
    04-03-2015 02:04 PM
    T mobile issue. Wait until AT&T and Verizon get it next Friday
    04-03-2015 02:06 PM
    What about the people that have the phone now and are getting crappy battery life?
    Perhaps lemons or carrier issues?
    Also, GSMArena's endurace rating takes into account stand-by time.
    04-03-2015 02:08 PM
    T mobile issue. Wait until AT&T and Verizon get it next Friday
    Please be right!

Perhaps lemons or carrier issues?
    Also, GSMArena's endurace rating takes into account stand-by time.
    Thanks, I didn't know it factored in stand-by time. I thought they were just constant tests for web browsing, streaming video, etc.
    04-03-2015 02:08 PM
    Please be right!

Thanks, I didn't know it factored in stand-by time. I thought they were just constant tests for web browsing, streaming video, etc.
    They do both.
    The ones on the bottom are constants with no stand-by.
    For the endurance, they do an hour of talk, an hour of web browsing and an hour of video playback, then go on standby for 24ish hours before repeating until the battery drains.
    04-03-2015 02:15 PM
    GSM finally re-did their tests on the final/retail S6/S6 Edge units today, and the performance and battery-life figures improved tremendously.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery-test-s6-2.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	169425

I'm relieved to see 11 hr web-browsing and 12 hr video playback, which confirms the official numbers Samsung gave us at MWC. I knew early numbers were incorrect, seeing as how Samsung never lied about battery life figures for previous Samsung phones.

Performance, especially 3D performance, has improved tremendously.
    All the charts on this link: Samsung Galaxy S6 review: Subject Zero - page 5 - GSMArena.com

To summarize, the S6's benchmark scores are more stable now. On Antutu, it hovers around a 69,000-70,000 area instead of giving the odd 56,000-61,000 in the pre-release units.
    Its GeekBench multicore score is now at 5,200, which is a sizeable increase from 4,500-4,600 from pre-release units.

Moving to 3D performance, the S6's off-screen performance for t-rex is now at 59 FPS, which is 10-11 higher than its performance pre-release and much higher than any other phone.
    I suggest we ignore on-screen performance, since those numbers don't factor in resolution and almost every single game runs at 1080p, so those numbers won't give us accurate readings.

In terms of browser and storage performance, the S6 is far ahead of every other phone.
    Fancy that. It scored higher than the S5.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-03-2015 02:16 PM
    You guys are sounding like Samsung apologists. In other words, user reviews indicate horrendous battery life but they must be lying because of the above article right? I won't order one until the other carrier reviews come out.
    KJ78 and James E1 like this.
    04-03-2015 02:20 PM
    You guys are sounding like Samsung apologists. In other words, user reviews indicate horrendous battery life but they must be lying because of the above article right? I won't order one until the other carrier reviews come out.
    Someone sounds angry that a 1440p phone with 2550 mAH battery has significantly better battery life than a phone with 1080p with 2840 mAH battery.

S6 Vs. M9

First battery life and performance numbers with final/retail unit-battery-test-s6-2.jpg
    First battery life and performance numbers with final/retail unit-gsmarena_001.jpg
    04-03-2015 02:23 PM
    Not angry at all. So far it's a fail as far as battery life is concerned. Sounds like everyone is hoping for better results on other carriers.
    KJ78 likes this.
    04-03-2015 02:26 PM
    Not angry at all. So far it's a fail as far as battery life is concerned. Sounds like everyone is hoping for better results on other carriers.
    How is it a fail?
    I would rather trust an objective review than a few anonymous people on the internet who might just have defective units. In a batch of devices, a few will always have problems and those few will always make the loudest noises.
    The people who are happy won't be on tech boards whining.
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-03-2015 02:28 PM
    Anybody notice this little side note regarding the Edge version? It might have something to do with why people are having large battery drains over night:

Note that these numbers were achieved with Night Clock and other Edge features turned off. Night Clock takes an extra 3% per 12 hours, which has only a small impact on the total endurance. If you enable the other Edge features, the Endurance rating drops to 54 hours since the screen digitizer is active all the time.
    It looks like having the swipe on the edge to show notifications is a significant battery drain. I guess the night clock is okay though...
    Gray Area and atishc like this.
    04-03-2015 02:31 PM
    I trust user reviews more than your "objective review". Proof is in the pudding as they say. Even Andrew from AC believes the battery to be sub-par. Samsung didn't need a 1440p screen. The human eye can't even tell the difference in anything over 1080p. I don't think it's a TMobile issue at all, if falls on Samsung and Android combined in my opinion of coarse. Either that or you believe all these units to be defective. I highly doubt that.
    04-03-2015 02:35 PM
    I trust user reviews more than your "objective review". Proof is in the pudding as they say. Even Andrew from AC believes the battery to be sub-par. Samsung didn't need a 1440p screen. The human eye can't even tell the difference in anything over 1080p. I don't think it's a TMobile issue at all, if falls on Samsung and Android combined in my opinion of coarse. Either that or you believe all these units to be defective. I highly doubt that.
    Lol, okay. If the S6 has bad battery life, what does that say about other phones?

Here's what Ruddock said about the M9: "Yeah... I can't even keep using the One M9 as a daily driver. The thing is constantly unpairing itself from my G Watch R (like, twice a day), this morning it required a reset of the watch and uninstallation of Wear to re-pair. Couple that with crappy battery life (I have a whole 40 minutes of screen-on time today, battery is already at 66%), the lame camera, those infuriating power / volume buttons, and a complete non-refresh of Sense, and I don't even know why you'd bother with this phone.

HTC One M9: in case the One M8 set your expectations a little too high"

Objective tests are far better metrics for measuring battery life, as differences in usage are nulled. We see that when doing the same exact things, the S6 beats the M9, the G Flex 2, the iPhone 6 and 6+. It will probably beat every other flagship released this year as well.
    What you're complaining about is as stupid as complaining that the best car manufacturer today doesn't have a 150 mpg rating, when that technology isn't even available yet.

You get the best battery life with the S6 for this year's flagships. You either accept it or you wait for next year's offerings if the best still doesn't meet your ridiculous expectations.
    04-03-2015 02:41 PM
    Correct...let's just hold our collective breaths until the other releases have a chance to stretch their legs. Maybe by that time LG will have something close to release to compare with this spring.
    04-03-2015 02:42 PM
    Not trying to pick a side here, but Andrew is using the T Mobile version as well so that would make sense why he's having similar battery life as the people that are complaining about on here. That doesn't mean that Verizon and AT&T won't have the same issue, but it does make sense why Andrew's findings are similar to the masses.
    04-03-2015 02:42 PM
    How is it a fail?
    I would rather trust an objective review than a few anonymous people on the internet who might just have defective units. In a batch of devices, a few will always have problems and those few will always make the loudest noises.
    The people who are happy won't be on tech boards whining.
    I've been reading lots of concerns here and at the carrier site and xda.
    A lot of defective units out there?
    04-03-2015 03:04 PM
    Not trying to pick a side here, but Andrew is using the T Mobile version as well so that would make sense why he's having similar battery life as the people that are complaining about on here. That doesn't mean that Verizon and AT&T won't have the same issue, but it does make sense why Andrew's findings are similar to the masses.
    If the AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint variants all have the same battery issues the T-Mobile variant seems to have, then we'll talk.

04-03-2015 03:04 PM
    I've been reading lots of concerns here and at the carrier site and xda.
    A lot of defective units out there?
    Honestly, the reviews over at t-mobile seem to have a lot of people giving the S6 low battery life scores because of non-removable battery.
    Also, most of the user reviewers don't even have the S6.

Here is a prime example: "No micro SD Memory, No removable battery. Key features that Samsung had. I was waiting for the S6 but without those features I pass. I will wait for the Note 5 and if Samsung. Make the same mistake with the Note 5 I will say bye bye to Samsung and will move to the HTC.
    Also, the price of the S6 is too expensive for been a downgrade of the S5.
    Cons: memory, expensive, battery"

He gave the phone all 1s and 2s.
    04-03-2015 03:06 PM
    Fancy that. It scored higher than the S5.

s5 actually scored 85 rating after lollipop, so no. But it still is a very good rating, should help people feeling safer.
    04-03-2015 03:10 PM
    s5 actually scored 85 rating after lollipop, so no. But it still is a very good rating, should help people feeling safer.
    Probably has something to do with Samsung's in-house Shannon 333 modem and the power-hungry ARMv8 core.
    The S6 probably drains a bit more than the S5 during standby, but drains less when the screen is actually on.
    04-03-2015 03:13 PM
    I didn't know that. Although for comparison purposes, this is the initial release so the battery life upon their releases is better. I find that to be the only fair comparison as the S5 would have had a year or so of updates and improvements to improve battery life whereas the S6 hasn't had that chance yet.
    04-03-2015 03:14 PM
    Honestly, the reviews over at t-mobile seem to have a lot of people giving the S6 low battery life scores because of non-removable battery.
    Also, most of the user reviewers don't even have the S6.

Here is a prime example: "No micro SD Memory, No removable battery. Key features that Samsung had. I was waiting for the S6 but without those features I pass. I will wait for the Note 5 and if Samsung. Make the same mistake with the Note 5 I will say bye bye to Samsung and will move to the HTC.
    Also, the price of the S6 is too expensive for been a downgrade of the S5.
    Cons: memory, expensive, battery"

He gave the phone all 1s and 2s.
    Yeah I don't trust a carrier website for reviews. To many people just ranting and ratings things down .. without even owning the device.
    04-03-2015 03:31 PM
76 123 ...