#BendGate returns with a vengeance on the S6 Edge

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I baby my phones. Call me stupid but my phones only get the very best care. They'll never be in any situation where they could be damaged. My Gear S can stand alone if need be.

🍶from the n.3 Monolith✒

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
And no person in real world use it going to apply that pressure.... On the exact middle specific point... Like that. So it doesn't make sense. I'm not making it my personal preference... Any phone will get wrecked by doing this. People with it in their back pockets don't sit with 100% of their weight on the phone (if they sit with it in their back pocket) .

I'm pretty certain that specific parts of a phone (especially the middle) won't experience that much pressure exerted solely on that side if we talk about real-world conditions.

If anything, what people have told me is that if you put your phone in your back pocket and sit on it, the pressure is distributed all over the device rather than a specific part.

This is why you don't see every phone bent in such a way caused by tight pockets. It's hard to bend a phone like that unless you either;

1) Purposely exert that amount of force with your bare hands if you're strong enough
2) Put it in that machine

It's not impossible to bend a phone but it is pretty much impossible to do so unknowingly.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty certain that specific parts of a phone (especially the middle) won't experience that much pressure exerted solely on that side if we talk about real-world conditions.

If anything, what people have told me is that if you put your phone in your back pocket and sit on it, the pressure is distributed all over the device rather than a specific part.

This is why you don't see every phone bent in such a way caused by tight pockets. It's hard to bend a phone like that unless you either;

1) Purposely exert that amount of force with your bare hands if you're strong enough
2) Put it in that machine

It's not impossible to bend a phone but it is pretty much impossible to do so unknowingly.

And for these tests this article still stands..

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2015/4/3/8341369/tktk-insert-phone-name-here-gate

The whole bend tests were never a thing till the 6. So to me it's ridiculous. I never bent any phone... I using my 6+. Ever.. No matter the circumstance.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
And for these tests this article still stands..

Does the _______ have a _______ problem? | The Verge

The whole bend tests were never a thing till the 6. So to me it's ridiculous. I never bent any phone... I using my 6+. Ever.. No matter the circumstance.

Probably due to the insane popularity of the iPhone and how it gets picked up by news outlets almost immediately. I mean, come on. Things like this drive up view counts.

To me, I never really understood the point. If you don't know basic physics and pressure, these phones look weak. In actuality, they're more than strong enough to withstand daily use and abuse. The thing you should be worried about is either battery life or whether the screen is durable. Not "is it easy to bend".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37