04-05-2015 03:48 AM
27 12
tools
    Looks like #BendGate has returned for a sequel. Coming to an edged screen theater near you!

That aside, I would honestly say it's inevitable. Thin aluminum is easy to bend. If you don't leave it in tight pockets all day long and take good care of it, you should be fine. Heck, the HTC One M9 bent and failed too at the same time. The Edge not only bent but suffered a cracked screen, however. So do take good care of it. It should be fine for daily use, honestly. If anything, this is blown out of proportion. Put anything in that machine and it will bend. Let's not forget to mention that Samsung's main rival is Apple. As such, since both are insanely popular, it's honestly inevitable that a 'bend-test' would ensue. Because that's an attention getter.

Is this Bendgate 2? Samsung's Galaxy S6 edge bends just like Apple's iPhone 6 Plus - Pocket-lint

#BendGate returns with a vengeance on the S6 Edge-phpwvhfod.jpg

Just goes to show how small stuff like this gets overrated. Next up, a phone scratches? #ScratchGate. Wait, the phone cracks when dropped?! Better create #CrackGate. :/
    04-03-2015 08:48 PM
    AppleInsider was all over this yesterday and today, what a joke. Put it your back pocket and see what it does. You are applying equal force across the middle of the device at 110lbs, so does your **** weigh 110lbs and is it shaped like that machine is . . . NO it isn't so end of story.

I have seen video of someone trying to bend a Galaxy S6 Edge the same way they did an iPhone 6+, the S6 Edge DID NOT BEND the iPhone 6+ DID.
    04-03-2015 08:55 PM
    This is the dumbest thing. A machine with a point load. Does not mimic how the load would be on the phone in real life. Also not one person has complained about this yet. The force on that is point loaded. The section modulus is similar on all phones so basic engineering tells you the bending moments will be similar. Thus it's not surprising they bend at similar loads. It also represents a simply supported beam, and in real life the pressure would be distributed over the entire area and not with the max deflection in the center.

Michael Clark
    hawkeye16qb and D13H4RD2L1V3 like this.
    04-03-2015 08:55 PM
    This is the dumbest thing. A machine with a point load. Does not mimic how the load would be on the phone in real life. Also not one person has complained about this yet. The force on that is point loaded. The section modulus is similar on all phones so basic engineering tells you the bending moments will be similar. Thus it's not surprising they bend at similar loads.

Michael Clark
    Like I mentioned, it should be fine for daily use. I cannot imagine a real-world scenario where that amount of pressure could apply on a phone.

If anything, it happens to every phone, especially phones with a thin profile and a metal construction. It's just that due to Apple and Samsung's popularity, it's just widely reported and became an internet hashtag.
    04-03-2015 08:57 PM
    AppleInsider was all over this yesterday and today, what a joke. Put it your back pocket and see what it does. You are applying equal force across the middle of the device at 110lbs, so does your **** weigh 110lbs and is it shaped like that machine is . . . NO it isn't so end of story.

I have seen video of someone trying to bend a Galaxy S6 Edge the same way they did an iPhone 6+, the S6 Edge DID NOT BEND the iPhone 6+ DID.
    Honestly, it's blown out of proportion.

I have used my M7 since July 2013 and it's subject to quite a lot of torture, even several 'bend tests' by my friends after the whole iP6+ #BendGate crap came up. Really, unless you've got quite a lot of strength and/or have that specialized machine, it will do perfectly fine. If anything, any signs of bendage on phones is user error, not a design flaw unless it bends under light pressure.

About my M7, despite it's tortured life, it's still perfectly fine. Runs as if it has been unboxed for the very first time. Looks like it too, minus a few scratches.
    04-03-2015 09:04 PM
    Throw any phone in that thing and it'll bend. IPhone... Samsung... LG...

The bend thing is ridiculous.
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    04-03-2015 09:11 PM
    This sums it up best....

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2015/4/...name-here-gate
    04-03-2015 09:13 PM

Absolutely agreed.

That thing can even bend my laptop, toothbrush, hard-drive, pencil, mouse, TV, whatever you name it that can fit in it.

It's overly ridiculous.
    04-03-2015 09:14 PM
    Go ahead and calculate the stress and you will see this is ridiculous. Force*distance(edge of phone to center ) /(1/12*b*h^3). B is base or the short side and H is thickness. That will give you stress. Look up the yield strength of Gorilla Glass 4 and aluminum and you will see this is a non issue.

Michael Clark
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    04-03-2015 09:15 PM
    #BendGate #ScratchGate #CrackGate #BloatGate #LagGate #ChargeGate

You name it...
    04-03-2015 09:16 PM
    Go ahead and calculate the stress and you will see this is ridiculous. Force*distance(edge of phone to center ) /(1/12*b*h^3). B is base or the short side and H is thickness. That will give you stress. Look up the yield strength of Gorilla Glass 4 and aluminum and you will see this is a non issue.

Michael Clark
    GG4 is tough. If anything, it's more than strong enough for daily use. Of course, it's glass so it won't survive a drop on a rough surface like asphalt, but aside from that, it's pretty tough.

That machine is made to bend stuff. Would you say a banana has #BendGate because it bent in that machine?
    04-03-2015 09:19 PM
    It's sad for me to say this, but this is pretty much how it all boils down to.

HTC One M9 bends: "Meh"

LG G3 bends: "Meh"

iPhone 6 Plus bends: "WHAT?! That phone has a design flaw! Shame on you, Apple!"

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge bends: "WHY?! Samsung, stop copying Apple!"

clevin and Techno-guy like this.
    04-03-2015 09:35 PM
    I think we need Iggy Azalea to test this!
    04-04-2015 06:04 AM
    retract!
    04-04-2015 06:41 AM
    Nothing to see here...move along.

🍶from the n.3 Monolith✒
    04-04-2015 07:59 AM
    This is the dumbest thing.
    Nothing more needs to be said here.
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    04-04-2015 08:04 AM
    The fact that it did as well as the 6p with the thin frame AND dual curved glass, and close to the m9 makes it a big win in my book as the 6p and m9 have a full frame and no curved glass.

Notice they didn't test the regular s6.I bet that would do much better.
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    04-04-2015 08:33 AM
    Nothing more needs to be said here.
    I second this.

Let's all move along now. Just another bend test that does not accurately simulate real-life.
    04-04-2015 12:09 PM

um i think people are confusing this a little or trying to muddle the details to suit their narrative.

its not the idea that it CAN bend, its the idea of what amount of pressure is required for it to bend.
    in terms of bending a phone to make it totally stop working:

"The Galaxy S6 Edge would bend to the point that it stopped working at 149 pounds of pressure. You'd have to apply 179 pounds of pressure to the iPhone 6 Plus to break it so badly that it no longer functioned."

same rationale on how some cars can be rated safer than others, despite the fact that ALL cars will get smashed up in a major accident.
    04-04-2015 12:20 PM
    um i think people are confusing this a little or trying to muddle the details to suit their narrative.

its not the idea that it CAN bend, its the idea of what amount of pressure is required for it to bend.
    in terms of bending a phone to make it totally stop working:

"The Galaxy S6 Edge would bend to the point that it stopped working at 149 pounds of pressure. You'd have to apply 179 pounds of pressure to the iPhone 6 Plus to break it so badly that it no longer functioned."

same rationale on how some cars can be rated safer than others, despite the fact that ALL cars will get smashed up in a major accident.
    And no person in real world use it going to apply that pressure.... On the exact middle specific point... Like that. So it doesn't make sense. I'm not making it my personal preference... Any phone will get wrecked by doing this. People with it in their back pockets don't sit with 100% of their weight on the phone (if they sit with it in their back pocket) .
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    04-04-2015 01:29 PM
    What a load of clickbait
    Inders99 and D13H4RD2L1V3 like this.
    04-04-2015 01:45 PM
    What a load of clickbait
    Well...something more was said and it's excellent!!
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    04-04-2015 02:24 PM
    It's sponsored by Square Trade. They are trying to strike fear into everybody so they all go out and buy insurance.
    clevin and D13H4RD2L1V3 like this.
    04-04-2015 02:32 PM
    I baby my phones. Call me stupid but my phones only get the very best care. They'll never be in any situation where they could be damaged. My Gear S can stand alone if need be.

🍶from the n.3 Monolith✒
    04-04-2015 07:28 PM
    And no person in real world use it going to apply that pressure.... On the exact middle specific point... Like that. So it doesn't make sense. I'm not making it my personal preference... Any phone will get wrecked by doing this. People with it in their back pockets don't sit with 100% of their weight on the phone (if they sit with it in their back pocket) .
    I'm pretty certain that specific parts of a phone (especially the middle) won't experience that much pressure exerted solely on that side if we talk about real-world conditions.

If anything, what people have told me is that if you put your phone in your back pocket and sit on it, the pressure is distributed all over the device rather than a specific part.

This is why you don't see every phone bent in such a way caused by tight pockets. It's hard to bend a phone like that unless you either;

1) Purposely exert that amount of force with your bare hands if you're strong enough
    2) Put it in that machine

It's not impossible to bend a phone but it is pretty much impossible to do so unknowingly.
    04-05-2015 03:31 AM
27 12