How can I transfer everything from my S4 to S6?

wrmoore47

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Transfer everything from S4 to S6

Now that my AT&T S6 is on the way, I've been looking for the best way to get all my data and apps from my S4 to my new S6. I've found several writeups and videos, but most are a couple of years old and some require rooting, which I'd rather not get into. Some of the videos I've found require use of several apps to get everything over. There must be a way to do it all at once! Last time I upgraded an iPhone, it was simple and seamless! What's the latest on this?

ballzac

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Transfer everything from S4 to S6

I was wondering about this too, except I have a Nexus 4, I think on lollipop you can do that thing where you hold the devices together and it will transfer? Not 100% sure on this

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

They just posted this on ac last night,

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-set-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge

I've decided a fresh install, I will login to my Google and Samsung accounts but not auto download apps etc. I will take my time going through each app as I download and log into my profiles 1 by 1 deciding what to keep and what not since my precious space is limited lol. Also I've had issues I the past where there were issues from just transferring all my data and apps.
But if you insist, you can upload your data to a cloud service (Google Drive, Dropbox, or any of your choice) then when you download the app on your new phone download your data folder and put it in the folder for that specific app

Posted via the Android Central App on my Galaxy S5

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Apps will auto install after you login to your account on new phone. I would just use computer to copy everything from old phone (pics, music, download, video), then paste to the new phone.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

When I moved from my Note 4 to my S6. I started to setup my S6 and it gave me the option to move from my old device. I touched them together and it logged in to my Gmail accounts and set all my apps to download automatically. I used Samsung Smart Switch to move my call logs and text over.

magitek

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site

When I moved from my Note 4 to my S6. I started to setup my S6 and it gave me the option to move from my old device. I touched them together and it logged in to my Gmail accounts and set all my apps to download automatically. I used Samsung Smart Switch to move my call logs and text over.

I also did this and it worked fine.

edit: S4 to S6 in my case.

Last edited:

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Is it possible to move game data?

Posted via Android Central App

No, that is why many games use Google play games app to save your game and to run across multiple devices.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

Does it allow you to transfer your Google accounts without automatically adding your apps?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Does it allow you to transfer your Google accounts without automatically adding your apps?

Yes an option will come up and ask you if you want to restore apps from another phone backup or setup a new device. Just setup a new one.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I am going from a GS4 to the GS6 and have read through these posts. Need step by step goofy proof instructions.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

f308gt4

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

They just posted this on ac last night,

How to set up the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge | Android Central

I've decided a fresh install, I will login to my Google and Samsung accounts but not auto download apps etc. I will take my time going through each app as I download and log into my profiles 1 by 1 deciding what to keep and what not since my precious space is limited lol. Also I've had issues I the past where there were issues from just transferring all my data and apps.
But if you insist, you can upload your data to a cloud service (Google Drive, Dropbox, or any of your choice) then when you download the app on your new phone download your data folder and put it in the folder for that specific app

Agree with doing a fresh install. I've done this for my last few phones, and have been issue free. It take a little longer to do it this way, but it's worth it IMHO.

magitek

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site

I am going from a GS4 to the GS6 and have read through these posts. Need step by step goofy proof instructions.

When you first turn on your S6, you'll be prompted during the initial setup to do a back-to-back data copy with your old phone. This involves placing your new and old phones next to each other, and they'll beep. This will transfer settings, account information, and app lists. Your apps will start downloading immediately on your new phone, provided it's got WiFi.

You'll want to download Samsung Smart Switch from the Play store (it's free) on both of your phones. Simply start the app on both devices and follow the onscreen instructions (you'll be touching phones again). SS will transfer music/movies (non DRM'd only), pictures, wallpapers, and all non-SIM contacts. There's checkboxes you can use if you want to transfer some things but not others.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

When you first turn on your S6, you'll be prompted during the initial setup to do a back-to-back data copy with your old phone. This involves placing your new and old phones next to each other, and they'll beep. This will transfer settings, account information, and app lists. Your apps will start downloading immediately on your new phone, provided it's got WiFi.

You'll want to download Samsung Smart Switch from the Play store (it's free) on both of your phones. Simply start the app on both devices and follow the onscreen instructions (you'll be touching phones again). SS will transfer music/movies (non DRM'd only), pictures, wallpapers, and all non-SIM contacts. There's checkboxes you can use if you want to transfer some things but not others.

Can this be done at Best Buy? I am selling my GS4 to Best Buy so I guess I need to connect my laptop and back up
Then, a fresh install?

ballzac

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site

Does this method transfer app data too or just download the apps?

magitek

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site

Does this method transfer app data too or just download the apps?

Can this be done at Best Buy? I am selling my GS4 to Best Buy so I guess I need to connect my laptop and back up
Then, a fresh install?

1. It seems like it just downloads the apps.

2. Probably? I'd do a full memory backup onto the laptop, then do the two transfer operations, then wipe the old phone.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Isn't everything backed to cloud? Music, picture, contacts etc. Only thing is app data and most apps do have backup and restore options. For games if it supports Google play games then game data will be backed there?

At least personally I never ever tried to copy from one phone to another, I frequently change phones and just sign in with Google account and I'm set. And the same applies for most apps which have some kind of restore options in them.

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Has anyone tried to move everything to the S6 using the helium app?

Posted via Android Central App