You tell me.

04-05-2015 08:32 AM
    you must be rich to do these tests.
    04-05-2015 08:52 AM
    No but it looks like it's well made and sealed so it takes awhile for water to penetrate the internals. Therefore I guess it's not going to break if you get a few drops of rain on it or drop it in the snow for a few seconds.

Which is awesome! As much as I loved the s5 waterproof I never actually took pictures underwater or did anything underwater. the only time I actually soaked it underwater was to prove to everyone it was waterproof on two occasions. All other liquid incidents were minor rain and snow, which I quickly wiped it off and went on with my day.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Galaxy S5
    04-05-2015 08:54 AM
    No its not waterproof. This has been known since the phone was announced.
    04-05-2015 09:44 AM
    Pretty impressive. Have mentioned elsewhere that I still have an S3 & was trying to take a picture while snowing one night. One snow flake landed right on the top speaker & the screen went black. Took the battery & card out of it & let everything air out over night & still works to this day(& yes know the S3 was NEVER advertised as even remotely water resistant). Just impressed how far things have comes in spite of the S6 losing the IP67.
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-05-2015 09:47 AM
    you must be rich to do these tests.
    Lol I doubt that is the OP's test
    04-05-2015 10:20 AM
    If it does get wet, put it in a bowl of rice... And microwave it at 70% power for 15 minutes.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-05-2015 01:34 PM
    If it does get wet, put it in a bowl of rice... And microwave it at 70% power for 15 minutes.

I agreed with you up until putting it in the microwave, unless you plan on eating your Galaxy S6 for lunch
    04-05-2015 01:40 PM
    I still wouldn't do this.
    04-05-2015 01:43 PM

This is a terrible idea. Silica gel and no microwave is best option. There's a guide on here that tells you what to do with a wet phone.

Sent from my LG G2 running CM 12
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-05-2015 01:43 PM

๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

04-05-2015 02:00 PM
    Wow, this makes me sooo happy, being as though I dropped my GS5 in the toilet while on vacation. Its good to know that my GS6 will also survive! My husbands iphone did not have the same fate when he ran in and out of the water with in the pocket of his swimming trunks.
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-05-2015 02:38 PM
    Technically, nothing is waterproof. Most things are water resistant. Water eventually wins. Always.
    20blks, Gray Area and anon8380037 like this.
    04-05-2015 02:40 PM
    Once the phone is jostled, the internal air pressure is messed with, and water actually first enters the device. You can tell as the headphone jack finally has air bubbles coming from it. This is true with any phone with a decent seal on it. Its not water proof or resistant by ANY means. As soon as liquid gets in, the phone starts to die. Because it's not water resistant. Go figure. This is just simple physics...

And then to top it all off, that ****tard plugs the USB into a wet charging port and wonder why it shorts and burns. Christ...
    anon8380037 likes this.
    04-05-2015 02:41 PM
    As soon as liquid gets in, the phone starts to die. Because it's not water resistant. Go figure. This is just simple physics...
    This is my point. As soon as water gets in, it is resistant up to that point. It might not be a long time before water gets in. It still resisted the water up to when it got in. Notice how I said, water eventually wins. Always.
    04-05-2015 02:55 PM
    What? No, that's not how it works. Water didn't get in due to static air pressure keeping the water out. ANY movement or change in that air pressure (like, say, tilting the device) will cause the air to escape and water to get in, killing the phone. Actual Water RESISTANCE means the phone is designed to operate to certain industry tolerances to actually operate underwater. Hence ISO certification. I mean, you can claim that ANYTHING has a certain amount of water resistance because it takes 0.001 seconds to fry when it's submerged.

That's like saying putting your phone inside a giant soap bubble waterproofs it. Sure, no water gets in, but as soon as the bubble breaks, you're screwed. Or better yet, saying a submerged car is water resistant. The windows being closed keeps the air pressure from letting the water in, but you know it's simply a matter of time.
    04-05-2015 04:43 PM
    What? No, that's not how it works. Water didn't get in due to static air pressure keeping the water out. ANY movement or change in that air pressure (like, say, tilting the device) will cause the air to escape and water to get in, killing the phone. Actual Water RESISTANCE means the phone is designed to operate to certain industry tolerances to actually operate underwater. Hence ISO certification. I mean, you can claim that ANYTHING has a certain amount of water resistance because it takes 0.001 seconds to fry when it's submerged.

That's like saying putting your phone inside a giant soap bubble waterproofs it. Sure, no water gets in, but as soon as the bubble breaks, you're screwed. Or better yet, saying a submerged car is water resistant. The windows being closed keeps the air pressure from letting the water in, but you know it's simply a matter of time.
    I am not talking about a phone! My point was that NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, is waterproof!

Thanks for your input, Bill Nye.
    04-05-2015 06:19 PM
    As soon as water gets in, it is resistant up to that point.
    See, you could say that with anything. That's like saying "Well, my house was water resistant to rain, till the window opened!" It's just incorrect, since water resistance implies that something was done to keep water from damaging the device. It wasn't, or they would advertise it as such.

And it's not input, it's facts. Sorry physics goes over your head.
    04-05-2015 06:24 PM
    See, you could say that with anything. That's like saying "Well, my house was water resistant to rain, till the window opened!" It's just incorrect, since water resistance implies that something was done to keep water from damaging the device. It wasn't, or they would advertise it as such.

And it's not input, it's facts. Sorry physics goes over your head.
    What are you not understanding? I am saying that the things people consider waterproof, are actually water resistant. Because, nothing is truly waterproof. Should I type slower?
    04-05-2015 06:29 PM
    ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

It charges that way too... I'm glad SOMEONE got my lame joke...

04-05-2015 06:42 PM
    Type as slow as you want. You're saying this phone is water resistant. IT ISN'T. I'm remembering now why I left this forum. Christ. Enjoy, I put the facts out there. I refuse to waste my time dealing with you.
    04-06-2015 12:18 AM
    I think you missed her point entirely because you were so eager to crticise someone, anyone.

I agree this guy was really dumb to wonder why the cable was fried, and we were possibly unlucky not to see a longer video posted two days later from his hospital bed after it exploded. Never plug a wet device to the mains, especially with a battery. My dog knows that (he likes AC).
    On Edit: I know it's only 5V max but the battery would pop.

It would have been more interesting to simulate an accidental drop into water, or better a toilet, of not more than 10 seconds, or again for 2 minutes as if you couldn't find it. Then put it in Isopropyl Alcohol, go through all the correct procedures, then go back regularly over 5 - 7 days to see if it recovered completely.
    The same for the Note 4 and 3 would be nice.

How many here would drop your device into water and then continue to look at it for 22 minutes? I understand his idea behind it, but it was not real world useful.

He should be struck off for plugging it back in though. Geeze!
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-06-2015 09:45 AM
    ........ also, apparently it's the impurities in any water that fries/shorts electronics.
    How can we know this wasn't the cleanest de-ionised water or whatever.
    04-06-2015 11:44 AM