Purely a hypothetical question for me as I'd never use an iPhone even if it was given to me for free. However, having said that, I've always been amazed at the out-of-the-box capabilities of the iphone.

Has the S6 finally eclipsed the photographic capabilities of the iphone?

Or, in other words, if this was your only phone buying criteria which phone would you get?
    04-05-2015 11:16 AM
    It really depends on you as a photographer, do you want to fiddle with settings and make adjustments as you see fit or do you want the phone to choose what it believes is best?

Apple is remarkable at creating an effortless experience, you launch the iPhones camera and press the shutter button and you are nearly guaranteed to have a decent to great photo.

With the S6, Samsung has caught up to the iPhone in speed and usability, it also comes with double the resolution for greater fine detail as well as a brighter F1.9 lens for improved low light shots.

Although, I appreciate the iPhones camera experience, I feel Samsung has surpassed the iPhone with the S6 and if I were to choose a device, I would end up with the S6 as I prefer the higher resolution and the ability to make adjustments as I see fit.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    04-05-2015 11:24 AM
    So far the S6 camera has not appointed so far. I have taken about 50 pictures of my 7 month old son and they have all turned out pretty awesome. Some pictures he was waving his arm around and it still got the picture without any kind of blur in it.
    04-05-2015 11:27 AM
    S6 for sure. Based on various tests, it seems to be the better contender. Plus I LOVE Virtual shot for the front facing camera. Fun to use
    04-05-2015 11:30 AM
    04-05-2015 11:32 AM
    Purely a hypothetical question for me as I'd never use an iPhone even if it was given to me for free. However, having said that, I've always been amazed at the out-of-the-box capabilities of the iphone.

Has the S6 finally eclipsed the photographic capabilities of the iphone?

Or, in other words, if this was your only phone buying criteria which phone would you get?
    The S6 is probably the only phone I'd recommend over the iPhone 6/6+ in terms of camera quality/functions. The appeal of the iPhone camera is just how effortless it is to point and shoot and still get an amazing photo. Samsung has matched that this year with the S6. Real-time HDR, while it's been present since the S5, is a big advantage for the S6. Being able to see how the high dynamic range affects the shot before you take the picture is very useful. The Pro mode, while available in 3rd party apps for the iPhone, is another big advantage as it allows the user to be more hands-on if they're familiar with the way a camera functions. Auto Tracking Focus is also very handy and works really well.

The image quality is really a toss up in most situations. I'd say the S6 is the better outdoor performer in almost every situation. Indoors in good light I'd also give it to the S6. Indoors in low light, however, I'd give it to the iPhone 6+ (not the regular iPhone 6). The S6 tends to show real warm tones to try and lighten the image whereas the iPhone 6+ is more accurate. Not every time, but I'd give that advantage to the 6+. I'd say it's a tie on the front facing camera. Both are excellent.

In video, I'd say the S6. The ability to shoot 4K (not stabilized) or 1080p (stabilized) combined with their audio reproduction is a win for Samsung over Apple.

Plus, the quick launch from the home button on the S6 is just beyond useful for the camera. You can do it from anywhere, screen on or off, and be up in under or about a second. It's one of the most talked about features for a reason.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-05-2015 11:41 AM
    I was going to post the above link, but since that was already done here is phonearena blind test with the S6, note4, m9, and the ip6...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsu...behind_id67882

And Adranalyne,

From GSMArena...
    "The 2160p videos are shot at the usual 48Mpbs total bitrate, all videos from the Galaxy S6 have 256Kbps/48kHz audio. The videos nail 30fps and a still frame has a good enough quality to pass for an 8MP photo. The videos are sharp, have practically no noise and accurate colors, good dynamic range too.

The 2160p videos can't make use of the digital image stabilization but the optical one is quite good on its own."

so it at least does optical unless I'm mistaken.

04-05-2015 11:45 AM
    so it at least does optical unless I'm mistaken.

Correct. OIS is always active no matter the resolution.
    04-05-2015 02:13 PM
    Correct. OIS is always active no matter the resolution.
    Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of the digital stabilization.

04-05-2015 02:16 PM
    Does the Iphone 6 have auto focus tracking like the S6 does ?

04-05-2015 02:23 PM
    As someone who just switched to the S6 Edge from the iPhone 6, I personally prefer the S6 a lot more. I'm by no means a professional photographer and my photos are mainly quick family pics but I think the S6 better suits my taste. Even my wife is begging for me to get her a S6 after seeing the pics and vids. Don't get me wrong, I think the iPhone has a great camera, but again, for me, this is better
    04-05-2015 07:56 PM
    As someone who just switched to the S6 Edge from the iPhone 6, I personally prefer the S6 a lot more. I'm by no means a professional photographer and my photos are mainly quick family pics but I think the S6 better suits my taste. Even my wife is begging for me to get her a S6 after seeing the pics and vids. Don't get me wrong, I think the iPhone has a great camera, but again, for me, this is better
    That's great to hear. Could you please explain what specific factors are causing you to prefer the S6?

Thanks
    04-05-2015 08:01 PM
    I own both phones (S6 edge and iPhone 6 Plus). I'd say it was a toss up with regard to camera quality.

Both are truly outstanding in the camera department and very comparable - iPhone is a bit 'easier' and S6 has more settings and customization (sort of summarizes Apple vs. Android!). Neither will disappoint so I wouldn't make any phone buying decisions based on the camera.
    04-05-2015 08:35 PM