04-13-2015 05:17 PM
73 123
tools
    I'm on that reddit thread too, but here is what I'm getting:

Imgur

This is with Wi-Fi off, VoLTE off, and a factory reset after the OTA. This was yesterday's numbers, while I was with family for the holiday. Today is panning out much worse so far. I'm at 50 minutes SOT, with 6 hours off the charger, light use, and I'm below 70%.
    Interesting. Well maybe that guy's a phony. Either way, your numbers aren't terrible. I'd personally be a little disappointed with them myself, but they aren't as terrible as most are saying. 4+ hours of SOT for a full day of usage. And your chart looks pretty normal. One question though, what is the difference between Android OS and Google Play services? I don't have Google Play services listed on my Galaxy 3.
    04-06-2015 12:19 PM
    I didn't know you could charge the phone up to 90% and it wouldn't reset. I guess that's just on the Samsung battery monitor which he appears to be using. I just did it with GSam and it reset all the numbers when I plugged in my phone for 5 seconds. He's not producing a graph because the Samsung battery chart doesn't show graphs. He would need a 3rd party app like GSam to do so. Then again, I don't expect 7 hours of SOT either, but yes, I am hoping/expecting for 5+.
    I think he misunderstood what was asking, this is the chart, and I am sure s6 has it. (I borrowed this pic from Almeuit's post in another thread on this board)
    I'm getting terrible battery life-169007d1427907742-early-users-how-s-your-battery-life-1427907739609.jpg
    04-06-2015 12:28 PM
    I think he misunderstood what was asking, this is the chart, and I am sure s6 has it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	169007d1427907742-early-users-how-s-your-battery-life-1427907739609.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	169833
    Ohhh I see. Yes that does make me skeptical of his results since he purposely didn't show that.
    04-06-2015 12:29 PM
    I've tweaked everything I possibly can and I still get the same results. The battery even drains significantly just on standby overnight.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-06-2015 01:34 PM
    Got the 2nd upgrade to Lollipop on March 31 and it's made a HUGE difference to my Verizon Samsung S5 . I charged my phone as of 9am yesterday and it's still at 47% as of 2;41pm today. I've only used it for the usual stuff , including the calculator, email, Internet reading, etc. For the last few weeks after the first Lollipop, it didn't make it for barely 15 hours so this looks like (fingers crossed) they've fixed something
    04-06-2015 01:44 PM
    Coming from an M8 its hard to even think about the M9 or S6 right now.
    I had a M8 previously. I mentioned earlier on the M9 forums that the only thing I miss from my M8 is the longer battery life off charger. I could easily get more than 4 hours of screen time with plenty of battery left to spare with heavy use during the day. It's definitely lower on my S6. However, I really think Samsung makes up for that with better charging options assuming you can utilize them throughout your day.
    04-06-2015 02:18 PM
    Today so far.

Auto Brightness... Until 2PM - 3:30 PM ... I then had it on 80%+ streaming HD video from various places and also web browsing
    Tidal (music streaming) for almost 2 hours
    Twitch.TV for 1 hr 30 min
    All services / syncs on except... ANT+ disabled and WiFi Calling is shut "off" (along w/ the WiFi radio)
    30 min worth of VoLTE phone calls
    ~15 txt messages // 2 MMS pictures
    All audio going over BT
    All data being streamed on LTE
    Attached Thumbnails I'm getting terrible battery life-1428349343027.jpg   I'm getting terrible battery life-bat.png  
    LeoRex likes this.
    04-06-2015 02:42 PM
    Is it good or bad , sot looks bad
    04-06-2015 02:49 PM
    Is it good or bad , sot looks bad
    Well see to me .. People harp on SoT too much. They focus so hard on it .. that if one thing is bad in a SoT shot ... The battery is bad... but you can have your phone do a lot of things with the screen off, which uses battery, and causes drain so your SoT won't be as high. Such as Tidal uses a lot of data for music streaming (~1.5 GB right now w/ these 2 hours of music) so that causes the radio to work more than normal.
    LeoRex likes this.
    04-06-2015 02:51 PM
    Well see to me .. People harp on SoT too much. They focus so hard on it .. that if one thing is bad in a SoT shot ... The battery is bad... but you can have your phone do a lot of things with the screen off, which uses battery, and causes drain so your SoT won't be as high. Such as Tidal uses a lot of data for music streaming (~1.5 GB right now w/ these 2 hours of music) so that causes the radio to work more than normal.
    Did you take note of what your battery was before you started streaming music and after? Or were you doing things with the phone in between that time making it hard to decipher? I personally don't stream music through my phone very often so I don't know how much battery it uses.

Edit: Based on the fact that TIDAL used 15% of his battery usage so far and he was at 31%, it looks like TIDAL used 10% battery total. So without that, you'd be roughly at 41% with 2 hours SOT
    04-06-2015 02:56 PM
    Today so far.

Auto Brightness... Until 2PM - 3:30 PM ... I then had it on 80%+ streaming HD video from various places and also web browsing
    Tidal (music streaming) for almost 2 hours
    Twitch.TV for 1 hr 30 min
    All services / syncs on except... ANT+ disabled and WiFi Calling is shut "off" (along w/ the WiFi radio)
    30 min worth of VoLTE phone calls
    ~15 txt messages // 2 MMS pictures
    All audio going over BT
    All data being streamed on LTE
    You did the key thing which was to turn off WiFi...with WiFi on, those numbers are cut in half from my experience. Unfortunately for me, I can't live without WiFi, even short term.
    Almeuit and Storm24 like this.
    04-06-2015 02:58 PM
    Now I can see the time , you must have changed the screen
    04-06-2015 03:00 PM
    'Idle' drain is far more important to battery life than people realize.... How long between charges is often as controlled by what your phone does with its screen off as it does with it on. When I had my SIII, I fought with a background load that consumed 5 or 6% an hour just sitting there idle. It would kill half a charge just sitting there on my desk at work for a day.

Screen On Time only tells half the story.
    Almeuit, clevin, Alex_NJ and 1 others like this.
    04-06-2015 03:35 PM
    Agreed.... totally agreed. Hence the other thread I started last week when I noticed idle drain like crazy:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...t-night-5.html
    Techno-guy likes this.
    04-06-2015 03:57 PM
    After 6 days with mine I can say Im getting average battery life with moderate use. Standby time overnight only drops about 5-7% with wifi and sync on. I usually make it through the day with about 30% left at night. I wish it was better but the other pros to this phone are so awesome I can live with it. Also fast charging helps tremendously.
    04-06-2015 04:16 PM
    After 6 days with mine I can say Im getting average battery life with moderate use. Standby time overnight only drops about 5-7% with wifi and sync on. I usually make it through the day with about 30% left at night. I wish it was better but the other pros to this phone are so awesome I can live with it. Also fast charging helps tremendously.
    Of course everybody would like to have longer battery life, no matter what they are getting. Hard to complain about finishing the day with 30% though. I hope I can get the same when I get mine.

Jusy curious, because your standby draining seems to be pretty normal as far as Android goes, but about how much do you use your phone during the day?
    04-06-2015 04:37 PM
    Coming from an M8 its hard to even think about the M9 or S6 right now.
    Forget about the M8. This is what I was getting on my M7 with a 2,300 mAh battery. It's even got a better battery than the S6 and it's 2 years old and not rooted. Not impressed with the M9 or S6 battery wise. Both are downgrades.

Attached Thumbnails I'm getting terrible battery life-43521.jpg  
    ron561 likes this.
    04-06-2015 06:14 PM
    Forget about the M8. This is what I was getting on my M7 with a 2,300 mAh battery. It's even got a better battery than the S6 and it's 2 years old and not rooted. Not impressed with the M9 or S6 battery wise. Both are downgrades.

You could put that same battery on a 5 year old phone and get even better battery life, but you don't want to do that because the phone sucks in every other aspect. If battery life is your one and only priority then the S6 probably isn't the device for you.
    04-06-2015 07:51 PM
    Pretty pleased so far.
    04-06-2015 09:47 PM
    Is this with any of the tweaks? And I'm assuming this is TMobile? I can live with 4 hours SOT, but I'd ideally like 5 or more. I'm usually right around 4 hours on a normal day and I'd rather not be dropping the battery down that low.
    04-06-2015 09:56 PM
    Is this with any of the tweaks? And I'm assuming this is TMobile? I can live with 4 hours SOT, but I'd ideally like 5 or more. I'm usually right around 4 hours on a normal day and I'd rather not be dropping the battery down that low.
    At&t. First full charge. Only thing I did was turn off always scanning under WiFi.
    04-06-2015 09:57 PM
    At&t. First full charge. Only thing I did was turn off ways scanning under WiFi.
    Oh, nice! Happy to not see Cell Standby or the WiFi radio being up there near the top of your usage. Hopefully Verizon will be the same.

If you can tonight, don't put it on the charger and see how much you drain throughout the night in standby. Fingers crossed for under 1% per hour.
    04-06-2015 10:01 PM
    You could put that same battery on a 5 year old phone and get even better battery life, but you don't want to do that because the phone sucks in every other aspect. If battery life is your one and only priority then the S6 probably isn't the device for you.
    Whatever dude. It's a 2013 phone that has aged very well and inspired Samsung to finally step up their build quality. No need to be a nit, my objection was also pointed at HTC that went from a 2,300 to a 2,840 battery and regressed badly battery wise. The M7 was and is still a well regarded phone by many. Just pointing out that so far in 2015 all flagships have pi$$ poor battery compared to last previous years phones.

04-06-2015 10:16 PM
    Whatever dude. It's a 2013 phone that has aged very well and inspired Samsung to finally step up their build quality. No need to be a nit, my objection was also pointed at HTC that went from a 2,300 to a 2,840 battery and regressed badly battery wise. The M7 was and is still a well regarded phone by many. Just pointing out that so far in 2015 all flagships have pi$$ poor battery compared to last previous years phones.

I agree that the M7 was a great phone. But you're not going to go out and buy an M7 now, so it's not really worth comparing. All 2015 phones are going to have poor battery life because of the 810 chip that everybody will use. The S6 missed out on an opportunity to blow away the competition in battery life too because they have the processor that can do it. They are just putting out the smallest battery out of any flagship this year and that will put them even or better than phones with much higher capacity.
    04-06-2015 10:20 PM
    All 2015 phones are going to have poor battery life because of the 810 chip that everybody will use. .

There are rumors that the new G4 will sport the 808 Rumors..... I know

Posted via Android Central App
    04-06-2015 10:24 PM
73 123