I'm getting terrible battery life

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
After 6 days with mine I can say Im getting average battery life with moderate use. Standby time overnight only drops about 5-7% with wifi and sync on. I usually make it through the day with about 30% left at night. I wish it was better but the other pros to this phone are so awesome I can live with it. Also fast charging helps tremendously.

Of course everybody would like to have longer battery life, no matter what they are getting. Hard to complain about finishing the day with 30% though. I hope I can get the same when I get mine.

Jusy curious, because your standby draining seems to be pretty normal as far as Android goes, but about how much do you use your phone during the day?

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Coming from an M8 its hard to even think about the M9 or S6 right now.

Forget about the M8. This is what I was getting on my M7 with a 2,300 mAh battery. It's even got a better battery than the S6 and it's 2 years old and not rooted. Not impressed with the M9 or S6 battery wise. Both are downgrades.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 43521.jpg
    43521.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Forget about the M8. This is what I was getting on my M7 with a 2,300 mAh battery. It's even got a better battery than the S6 and it's 2 years old and not rooted. Not impressed with the M9 or S6 battery wise. Both are downgrades.

You could put that same battery on a 5 year old phone and get even better battery life, but you don't want to do that because the phone sucks in every other aspect. If battery life is your one and only priority then the S6 probably isn't the device for you.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Pretty pleased so far.
cdda6de95631140c05d11819f83500b3.jpg
b0e1477d080f71141598c74abd110eb0.jpg

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Is this with any of the tweaks? And I'm assuming this is TMobile? I can live with 4 hours SOT, but I'd ideally like 5 or more. I'm usually right around 4 hours on a normal day and I'd rather not be dropping the battery down that low.
At&t. First full charge. Only thing I did was turn off always scanning under WiFi.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
At&t. First full charge. Only thing I did was turn off ways scanning under WiFi.

Oh, nice! Happy to not see Cell Standby or the WiFi radio being up there near the top of your usage. Hopefully Verizon will be the same.

If you can tonight, don't put it on the charger and see how much you drain throughout the night in standby. Fingers crossed for under 1% per hour.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
You could put that same battery on a 5 year old phone and get even better battery life, but you don't want to do that because the phone sucks in every other aspect. If battery life is your one and only priority then the S6 probably isn't the device for you.

Whatever dude. It's a 2013 phone that has aged very well and inspired Samsung to finally step up their build quality. No need to be a nit, my objection was also pointed at HTC that went from a 2,300 to a 2,840 battery and regressed badly battery wise. The M7 was and is still a well regarded phone by many. Just pointing out that so far in 2015 all flagships have pi$$ poor battery compared to last previous years phones.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Whatever dude. It's a 2013 phone that has aged very well and inspired Samsung to finally step up their build quality. No need to be a nit, my objection was also pointed at HTC that went from a 2,300 to a 2,840 battery and regressed badly battery wise. The M7 was and is still a well regarded phone by many. Just pointing out that so far in 2015 all flagships have pi$$ poor battery compared to last previous years phones.

I agree that the M7 was a great phone. But you're not going to go out and buy an M7 now, so it's not really worth comparing. All 2015 phones are going to have poor battery life because of the 810 chip that everybody will use. The S6 missed out on an opportunity to blow away the competition in battery life too because they have the processor that can do it. They are just putting out the smallest battery out of any flagship this year and that will put them even or better than phones with much higher capacity.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree that the M7 was a great phone. But you're not going to go out and buy an M7 now, so it's not really worth comparing. All 2015 phones are going to have poor battery life because of the 810 chip that everybody will use. The S6 missed out on an opportunity to blow away the competition in battery life too because they have the processor that can do it. They are just putting out the smallest battery out of any flagship this year and that will put them even or better than phones with much higher capacity.

The funny thing is if HTC had just put in the 805 chip like the Note 4 and Nexus 6. They would have avoided the heating issues and smoked every other phone this year in battery life. Their camera would still be weaksauce but at least they would have had more going for them and improved it somewhat with software updates. Apple indirectly screwed Android by going 64 bit before Samsung and Qualcomm were ready. It forced Androids hand to chase specs as always and results are a regression in user experience across the board from half baked Qualcomm SOCs and even Sammy getting screwed by Google not yet optimizing Lollipop for 64 bit phones leading to battery life issues. Apple must just be laughing. Now Apple is going to add 1 more gig of ram and the 6S is going to fly. I am still not interested in iPhones but right now Samsung is the only manufacture vertically integrated enough and has the economies of scale to customize the hardware specifically for their flag ship the way Apple does. We won't see that in full force until next year though. Touchwiz still needs some work as well. I still prefer Sense over it.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
might want to open a battery thread for ATT devices. This is the first I saw.

Agreed. It's about to get confusing.

I am also facing same issue with my Samsung mobile, Within two years of buying time my mobile battery started heating up.

You seem to be posting this in multiple places even though it has nothing to do with the topic. I think you are referring to an older Samsung phone since I don't think you've owned the S6 for 2 years considering it's not released yet. You might want to post your complaint in the S3 or S4 forum where it is relevant.

Last edited:

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
HD screen, 810 processor, edge display - smaller battery. This was always going to happen.

I think, generally, OEM's have slowly, but surely, started to get the battery life to catch up the tech. over the past 12-18 months (SGNote, SonyZ series etc.). This is why I ditched the LG G3 for the Xperia Z3. It's just wouldn't last a day. For me, the worst thing that could have happened for smartphone battery life (or, at least, it's gradual improvement) was fast charging technology. It's almost like Samsung has figured that they badly need to redesign, slimmed the S6 down too much and hence the battery also, made it non-removable, but then said "It's fine! You can get a full charge in not time!"

Well, call me old fashioned, but I quite like unplugging my phone in the morning and not having to constantly look for a plug, carry a portable charger or start restricting performance on a £700 smartphone just to get through to dinner. I'm SURE adding 2mm to the device and giving it a fatter battery (and hiding that awful sticky-out camera to boot) would have worked as well.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Of course everybody would like to have longer battery life, no matter what they are getting. Hard to complain about finishing the day with 30% though. I hope I can get the same when I get mine.

Jusy curious, because your standby draining seems to be pretty normal as far as Android goes, but about how much do you use your phone during the day?

In comparison to most people here I'm probably a light to moderate user depending on the day. My usuage usually consists of watching a movie on my 40 minute commute to work, a few emails, texting, light web browsing, social media (FB, Twitter) and maybe a few 5-10 minute phone calls. Location and bluetooth only on when I need it. Any heavy streaming or downloading I usually wait until im home on my Wifi to do that unless I have to. I took the phone off the charger at 7am and when i got home at 8pm I had 38% left. Not too bad. The battery seems to have gotten better after a few charges. Its definitely better than the first couple days.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
In comparison to most people here I'm probably a light to moderate user depending on the day. My usuage usually consists of watching a movie on my 40 minute commute to work, a few emails, texting, light web browsing, social media (FB, Twitter) and maybe a few 5-10 minute phone calls. Location and bluetooth only on when I need it. Any heavy streaming or downloading I usually wait until im home on my Wifi to do that unless I have to. I took the phone off the charger at 7am and when i got home at 8pm I had 38% left. Not too bad. The battery seems to have gotten better after a few charges. Its definitely better than the first couple days.

Happy to hear that!

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes I want the killer Camera but I want at least 6 hours SOT at low Indoor Brightness ( 20% maybe ?) and sync and location OFF . Possible on LTE ? Likely ?
Seems like S6 is NOT a heavy user Device.
I need S6 Pro with 3100 Mah Battery 7.5 mm thick etc. for
$825. Lol.
Call Samsung now.

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Really most of the problems of S6 could be solved by a 7.5 millimeter thick version S6 Pro with a 3100 Mah Battery.
Battery is Achilles Heel and will get worse as more Apps installed and after 200 to 300 charge cycles and larger operating system fixes etc.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Really most of the problems of S6 could be solved by a 7.5 millimeter thick version S6 Pro with a 3100 Mah Battery.
Battery is Achilles Heel and will get worse as more Apps installed and after 200 to 300 charge cycles and larger operating system fixes etc.

There is S6 active coming to AT&T this summer. It already passed bluetooth in FCC and is believed to pack 3500mAh. It might lose fingerprint scanner or wireless charging though. But I think this early poor reports on battery are mostly due to WiFi bug or VoLTE on T-mobile units. Other variants will probably do as good as S5 at least.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay