04-13-2015 05:17 PM
73 123
tools
    Really dissapointed with my battery life so far.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails I'm getting terrible battery life-286.jpg   I'm getting terrible battery life-287.jpg  
    Mangkudun Sati and mrg4512 like this.
    04-05-2015 09:28 PM
    That Cell Standby figure is really high. What is your signal generally like? If it's mostly poor, it will cause battery drain.
    04-05-2015 09:38 PM
    I always have good signal 4-5 bars

04-05-2015 09:40 PM
    Have you read ALL the threads and posts regarding the same? Me alone have posted at least have a dozens of posts and even threads of suggestions to detect the issue and even settings that proved to be causing the high Cell Standby battery usage.

Please read those and most important, do what is suggested until a permanent fix comes from Samsung /T-Mobile. Turn off VoLTE option, turn off wifi calling unless you really need it, both of those maybe fixed with a software update, the Smart Network and Scanning always active on Wifi settings are not a bug just a huge battery drain without even need them.
    04-05-2015 09:47 PM
    I've already done it and my battery is still terrible

04-05-2015 09:52 PM
    When you say terrible. What's the screen time ? And how many stand by hours?
    04-05-2015 10:11 PM
    I've already done it and my battery is still terrible

I'm in the same boat with the terrible battery life. I tried today with all edge features off, VoLTE off, Smart Network and Scanning off and ended up with 38% Cell Standby. I estimate I would have had about 3.5 hours SOT had I run the phone down to 10% which is the most I'll take my battery down to.

Nothing left in my arsenal of tricks but to wait for Google to fix the Standby drain. It's clearly related to WiFi because with WiFi off, the drain goes down to a much more reasonable 1% per hour (but, of course, that's no solution in 2015 and for a $1000 phone).

Can't wait to see other carrier S6's get into people's hands this week to understand if this is just T-Mobile or a widespread issue but there are mounting complaints on XDA Developers by lots of people with the same Standby battery drain.

I'm getting terrible battery life-screenshot_2015-04-05-20-47-43.jpg
    I'm getting terrible battery life-screenshot_2015-04-05-20-47-48.jpg
    04-05-2015 10:14 PM
    I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but the S6 contains a smaller battery than the S5 and my S5's battery life is awful.

Stwutter and KJ78 like this.
    04-06-2015 12:00 AM
    Turn wifi calling off. That causes mad cell standby drain.
    04-06-2015 12:02 AM
    Yes S6's battery is smaller but it is said that Samsung's chip in S6 is more energy saving compared with Qualcomm's chip in S5.
    04-06-2015 04:24 AM
    Yes S6's battery is smaller but it is said that Samsung's chip in S6 is more energy saving compared with Qualcomm's chip in S5.
    well, chip is only a small one of all battery consumers.

It you can get 4-4.5hr sot, I would call it a victory.
    04-06-2015 04:28 AM
    Qualcomm's chip in S5(and some other Samsung's phone) cause heating problem and that's why Samsung give up Qualcomm this time. I thought that was why Samsung use smaller battery, hope battery wouldn't become S6's biggest drawback.
    04-06-2015 04:43 AM
    I am curious to see what happens when I get mine from TMobile tomorrow. It is spotty in my area, but the wifi calling was a huge draw for me. That is something I will use a lot. If this does indeed drain the battery at an alarming rate I might have to rethink getting the TMobile variant.
    04-06-2015 06:26 AM
    I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but the S6 contains a smaller battery than the S5 and my S5's battery life is awful.

I am with you. I never thought the S5 had good battery life and all these reviews say the S6 is worse. Im not sure what people are expecting.
    Stwutter likes this.
    04-06-2015 06:56 AM
    What are people considering "terrible" battery life? I've seen a lot of GSAM results posted here which seems good to me. The last posting showed 13 hrs and another estimated 5 hrs of life. That seems reasonably good to me. In my opinion, terrible battery life is when I can't make it to 10 hrs without having to charge my phone.
    04-06-2015 07:51 AM
    Turn off wifi if you can for the time being (until a fix is out) and your battery life will be very good.

I'm getting terrible battery life-ix11txs.jpg
    I'm getting terrible battery life-bawgaak.jpg
    04-06-2015 08:02 AM
    What are people considering "terrible" battery life? I've seen a lot of GSAM results posted here which seems good to me. The last posting showed 13 hrs and another estimated 5 hrs of life. That seems reasonably good to me. In my opinion, terrible battery life is when I can't make it to 10 hrs without having to charge my phone.
    To me, if you can't make it a full day with moderate use and still have 25-30% or more left at the end of the day then that is bad battery use. My last 2 phones were able to do that easily and go well into a 2nd day. No reason current phones should have worse battery life than their predecessors.
    04-06-2015 09:54 AM
    Turn off wifi if you can for the time being (until a fix is out) and your battery life will be very good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IX11tXS.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	169799

Name:	BAWgAaK.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	169800
    That is beautiful. I'm not getting anywhere near that, even with the fixes.
    04-06-2015 11:04 AM

Name:	BAWgAaK.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	169800
    This is originated from reddit, Perhaps this will soothe worries about the Galaxy S6 battery life? : Android

People has been asking the owner to show chart, which so far he has not been able to produce.

As we know, you can charge the phone to push up battery level, but as long as you don't charge to 90% or above, sot record will not be reset.

TBH, I don't believe most people can expect 7 hr sot unless they just watch local videos. I think anywhere between 3 to 5 hr sot are reasonable.
    04-06-2015 12:00 PM
    Without the chart , it doesn't count
    04-06-2015 12:06 PM
    This is originated from reddit, Perhaps this will soothe worries about the Galaxy S6 battery life? : Android

People has been asking the owner to show chart, which so far he has not been able to produce.

As we know, you can charge the phone to push up battery level, but as long as you don't charge to 90% or above, sot record will not be reset.

TBH, I don't believe most people can expect 7 hr sot unless they just watch local videos.
    I didn't know you could charge the phone up to 90% and it wouldn't reset. I guess that's just on the Samsung battery monitor which he appears to be using. I just did it with GSam and it reset all the numbers when I plugged in my phone for 5 seconds. He's not producing a graph because the Samsung battery chart doesn't show graphs. He would need a 3rd party app like GSam to do so. Then again, I don't expect 7 hours of SOT either, but yes, I am hoping/expecting for 5+.
    04-06-2015 12:08 PM
    This is originated from reddit,

TBH, I don't believe most people can expect 7 hr sot unless they just watch local videos.
    Notice WiFi was OFF for that great battery life, and thus there is none of the dreaded "Cell Standby" drain. My post above shows that I ended yesterday with 38% of my battery taken up by Cell Standby with WiFi on.

I've tried the "No WiFi test" and I get double the battery as well with WiFi off, but that's not a real solution. It's clearly a WiFi issue that needs to be fixed which drains the battery in Standby. I'm hopeful that it's fixed fast and very curious to see if it shows up on other carrier (non T-Mobile) phones. This week will be the true test.
    04-06-2015 12:11 PM
    That is beautiful. I'm not getting anywhere near that, even with the fixes.
    What are you getting and what fixes have you done? Are there any outliers when you look at the battery stats? Cell Standby or WiFi being very high? Neither should be high at all on normal working phone.
    04-06-2015 12:11 PM
    I'm on that reddit thread too, but here is what I'm getting:

Imgur

This is with Wi-Fi off, VoLTE off, and a factory reset after the OTA. This was yesterday's numbers, while I was with family for the holiday. Today is panning out much worse so far. I'm at 50 minutes SOT, with 6 hours off the charger, light use, and I'm below 70%.
    04-06-2015 12:16 PM
    Notice WiFi was OFF for that great battery life, and thus there is none of the dreaded "Cell Standby" drain. My post above shows that I ended yesterday with 38% of my battery taken up by Cell Standby with WiFi on.

I've tried the "No WiFi test" and I get double the battery as well with WiFi off, but that's not a real solution. It's clearly a WiFi issue that needs to be fixed which drains the battery in Standby. I'm hopeful that it's fixed fast and very curious to see if it shows up on other carrier (non T-Mobile) phones. This week will be the true test.
    On the plus side, you know the issue and therefore so does Samsung/TMobile or whoever is responsible. Unfortunately for your use case, you can't really fix the issue yourself since you need it. Unless this ends up being a hardware issue, which is very unlikely, this should be an easy fix and Samsung and all the other carriers would benefit GREATLY if users didn't have this issue when everybody gets it on April 10th. I would expect within the next few days.
    Techno-guy likes this.
    04-06-2015 12:16 PM
73 123