04-09-2015 05:06 PM
47 12
tools
    I bought the S6 outright, full retail on T-Mobile.
    04-07-2015 09:10 AM
    Need.... to.... do...... the .... math. Put on paypal credit if you must.
    LOL and then no payments for 6 months and wait for the 19% interest hit!
    04-08-2015 08:46 AM
    so with Verizon - it's at least $25/mo x 24 months or $600. Add to that a typical $200 initial payment and you get a $800 conservative estimate of phone pricing. In anycase, your payinig Full Retail Price whether is says so or not!
    Incorrect, you don't add $200 onto the price. its $599 full retail. You give say a $200 initial down payment when you sign up, so you then owe $399 and your monthly payments drop from $24 to $16 for the next 24 months.
    04-08-2015 09:53 AM
    LOL and then no payments for 6 months and wait for the 19% interest hit!
    No hopefully you pay off the balance before the 6 months are up, thus no interest at all.
    04-08-2015 09:54 AM
    Incorrect, you don't add $200 onto the price. its $599 full retail. You give say a $200 initial down payment when you sign up, so you then owe $399 and your monthly payments drop from $24 to $16 for the next 24 months.
    Not the point.

If you buy "on-contract" for $200 or $250 and go on with the data plan your paying the initial money plus the $25 per month for 24 months (i.e. more than full retail price of the phone).

If you do Edge, and spread your payments over 24 months your still paying full retail.
    04-08-2015 01:00 PM
    Yes edge, next, jump are all full retail purchases, nothing new there.
    04-08-2015 02:49 PM
    Yes edge, next, jump, and all "on contract plans" are all full retail purchases, nothing new there.
    FTFY

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-08-2015 03:21 PM
    It's a new world where the greedy cell companies not only make their money off the plans but they're making money off the phones too.

Similar to the airlines charging for the baggage, nuts and pillows in addition to their fare prices.

Protecting my VZ UDP plan... if I change anything... I lose the unlimited.

Been paying a lot of money per month for years and the S6 might be the first phone I'd have to pay full price for.

Holding off to read all the reviews. Waiting for S6 Active to see the specs and battery. Might wait for S7. I need strong battery life or replaceable type.

The whole game changed when you have to pay for every a la carte item or movement with the cell companies.

Times have changed!
    04-08-2015 05:13 PM
    Paying full price gets you freedom from a contract.

If you don't mind contract, and never hold on to a phone more than 2 years, I don't think there is much difference.
    20blks likes this.
    04-08-2015 07:29 PM
    I have to laugh everytime I see or hear someone tell me they've never paid full retail price for a phone.

Guess what you've probably always paid 20 to 30% over retail price for the phone because your monthly rate always included the subsidy that you couldn't actually see until recently.

so with Verizon - it's at least $25/mo x 24 months or $600. Add to that a typical $200 initial payment and you get a $800 conservative estimate of phone pricing. I say conservative because if it were a true open competition/auction - verizon, at&t and others would probably be selling your data services for half what your paying now.

In anycase, your payinig Full Retail Price whether is says so or not!
    I was going to post something similar.
    When one buys on contract, they often pay way over Full Retail.
    04-08-2015 08:58 PM

If you don't mind contract, and never hold on to a phone more than 2 years, I don't think there is much difference.
    True but the two year,contract price is more my speed and my wallet doesn't feel so violated.
    04-08-2015 09:09 PM
    Generations past saved up for purchases. We'd rather pay $200 over retail so we can have it now.
    04-09-2015 01:46 PM
    Generations past saved up for purchases. We'd rather pay $200 over retail so we can have it now.
    true, its a fascinating question, US economy depends on people spending on things, necessary things and lot of unnecessary things. And people also complaining about the debt. This seems a no-win situation!

True but the two year,contract price is more my speed and my wallet doesn't feel so violated.
    lol, now you used the v-word...
    04-09-2015 01:52 PM
    Anyone know if you can use paypal to buy an S6 outright at bestbuy website and pick up in store? I think they take paypal but wasn't sure if they would allow you to use it to buy this phone outright. I'm not aware of any other reputable places where I could use paypal to buy this outright?
    04-09-2015 01:54 PM
    Anyone know if you can use paypal to buy an S6 outright at bestbuy website and pick up in store? I think they take paypal but wasn't sure if they would allow you to use it to buy this phone outright. I'm not aware of any other reputable places where I could use paypal to buy this outright?
    You can use your PayPal debit card anywhere. I'm not sure about just cash in a PayPal account and no debit card though.
    04-09-2015 01:59 PM
    try amazon, they take paypal credit, and they allow you to buy s6 without a service contract (not unlocked). e.g., http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...cUvbUpU4343337
    04-09-2015 02:02 PM
    You can use your PayPal debit card anywhere. I'm not sure about just cash in a PayPal account and no debit card though.
    I don't have a paypal debit card. Is that free if you have a paypal account?

I was thinking checkout at the bestbuy website, use the paypal payment option and then pickup in store. So that shouldn't be a problem I'm guessing?
    04-09-2015 02:09 PM
    try amazon, they take paypal credit, and they allow you to buy s6 without a service contract (not unlocked). e.g., http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...cUvbUpU4343358
    By paypal credit do you mean I can just use my paypal account to pay somehow?
    04-09-2015 02:12 PM
    Not even close.

Sprint S6 64GB is 299 on contract. My contract rate is grandfathered at 4 lines for 180, unlimited talk, txt and data and a nano cell at our vacation home. All 4 lines get 18 or 20 month upgrades with no activation fees. How am I paying $800 for the phone again?
    04-09-2015 02:16 PM
    Same here. Purchased through Amazon, wishing I had gone outright through AT&T, but I wanted 30 days instead of 14 to decide on keeping it.
    Same here. Has Amazon shipped your GS6 yet? I still haven't received shipping confirmation, but I'm supposed to have release date delivery.
    04-09-2015 03:19 PM
    Not even close.

Sprint S6 64GB is 299 on contract. My contract rate is grandfathered at 4 lines for 180, unlimited talk, txt and data and a nano cell at our vacation home. All 4 lines get 18 or 20 month upgrades with no activation fees. How am I paying $800 for the phone again?
    You are part of the group that Sprint got to switch into their plans when they were clamoring for customers. So you've got a great rate - that nobody can ever get again.

Note the following regarding Sprint's current condition -
    "But Sprint faces a difficult road ahead. Though its speeds are improving, it still has by far the slowest 4G network of its rivals. It was rated the worst cell phone service in the nation by Consumer Reports last year, and also came up in fourth in a new ranking this week from market research firm RootMetrics.

On top of all that, it continues to hemorrhage money and lose customers."

I for one dropped Sprint many years ago because their network was lousy - lost calls, data coverage dropouts.. But if it's good for your locations more power to you.

Sprint won't make the long-haul (in my opinion) because they are hemorraging cash.
    See Moody's position on Sprint -
    "New York, December 17, 2014 -- Moody's Investors Service ("Moody's") downgraded several ratings of Sprint Corporation ("Sprint" or "the company") including the company's Corporate Family Rating ("CFR") to B1 from Ba3, the company's Probability of Default Rating ("PDR") to B1-PD from Ba3-PD, Sprint's senior unsecured rating to B2 from B1 and lowered the company's Speculative Grade Liquidity Rating to SGL-3 from SGL-1. Moody's also assigned a Ba1 rating to Sprint's existing $3.3 billion revolving credit facility. Today's rating action reflects our expectation that intense competitive challenges and Sprint's limited ability to respond effectively will lead to a sustained period of very weak earnings and cash flow. Consequently, leverage is likely to increase, which when coupled with negative pressure on cash flow from installment billing plans and its phone leasing option, is expected to lead to a steady deterioration in Sprint's liquidity position. Sprint's rating outlook is negative reflecting what we believe to be limited ability to reverse current trends in the foreseeable future."

So probably like the Alltel customers that Verizon absorbed back in 2012 all those unlimited forever promises will bite the dust. So enjoy the ride while it lasts!

Further Unlimited on Sprint isn't unlimited everywhere -
    "But there is another catch: none of this applies when you're roaming. While using your device outside of Sprint's coverage area, you are allowed 100MB of data per month. Should you bypass this limit, Sprint "may discontinue service." Ouch."

Just sayin
    04-09-2015 03:25 PM

I wish that paying full price also freed people from having to deal with additional carrier software built into the phone.
    lindseybp and 20blks like this.
    04-09-2015 05:06 PM
47 12