Initial Thoughts

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'll update this as the day goes on, but I wanted to share some initial thoughts now that I finally have one in hand. I've got the AT&T Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB (Black Sapphire).

-Yes, there's a Death Star logo on the back where the Samsung branding is on the T-Mobile variant.

-UI is as quick as it was when I first played with it. Chrome and the stock browser do not suffer from the same redraw issues I saw on the demo units I played with. That was something I've been wanting to know for sure for awhile.

-I haven't had it long enough to get any idea about the battery life. WiFi connection is strong, which I was concerned about.

-Fingerprint setup was easy and is extremely quick/useful. Kudos to Samsung for including this. Reminds me of my iPhone 6 from last year.

-The display is absolutely gorgeous. I used the Note 4 pretty extensively last year before I switched to the Nexus 6. Coming from the Nexus, this screen is huge improvement. The infinity pool look is really interesting and I've tested reading, watching videos, and texting with the Edge screen. None of these things suffer from it at all. In fact, watching videos seems more immersive with the curved display. And no, I had no scratches on my device.

-I can't say much about the camera that hasn't already been said. I'll be testing it extensively, but the ease of use and the speed is addicting so far. If you value your phone as a camera, this is the be-all end-all in that regard.

-In hand feel is impressive. It's not really slippery, but it's easier to grip with the sharper sides. It's not uncomfortable to hold at all, but you notice the difference coming from a curved back phone like the Nexus 6. I don't think I need to explain how gorgeous this device is.

I'll be closely looking for any issue with the battery and cell standby throughout the coming days. As of right now, with WiFi on for a little over an hour and a half, cell standby is at 1%. If I had to ballpark it right now, and this is just intuition at this point as I've felt this way since the T-Mobile variant launched, but I believe the battery/WiFi/cell standby issues aren't present on other variants. We'll have to see as more people get these in their hands.

Posted via the Android Central App

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Is it weird that I've been anxiously awaiting for YOU to get your phone? I know you'll give us all the details we want/need to know. Thanks in advance for doing this!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Awesome. Can't wait for mine. Please keep us posted.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Is it weird that I've been anxiously awaiting for YOU to get your phone? I know you'll give us all the details we want/need to know. Thanks in advance for doing this!

Ha. I don't think it's weird, but I'm glad people have been rooting for me to get this thing.

As far as the pictures, felloffthetruck, when I get home from work I'll be posting these for you. The bloat from AT&T is pretty standard stuff. YP, MyAT&T, etc.

Some more quick thoughts:

-Stock keyboard is improved from before and pretty responsive, but there's the slightest of stutter as if I'm going too fast for it. I've noticed that on other keyboards, as well, but figured I'd share. I'm a Google Keyboard guy. Works great here.

-No Download Booster. That's no surprise given it's AT&T.

-Screen responsiveness is pretty impressive. You can tell you're using next-gen display tech. Or maybe that's just me coming from the Nexus 6. Learn from these things, Moto. No sign so far of the display not registering near the edges. Keep in mind I'm using the Edge, though.

-Button placement/feel is great.

SkyKing6

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Three things that I'd like you to report on.

First, will it play your phone ringtone through your Bluetooth earpiece (especially custom tones)?

Second, when the caller on the other end hangs up or the call is lost, will it play some kind of tone through your Bluetooth headset so you know that the connection is gone?

Third, if possible, can you tell us about data signal, is it any better than earlier models and does it stall?

I'm currently running an S2. American Toy Telephone keeps trying to get me to upgrade, but so far I've resisted, in no small part because I'm way past the contract end date. If the S6 is enough better in those three areas, I will be easier to convince. I currently use my phone as my primary Internet WiFi hub, in a fringe area, and get a lot of stalls when trying to work online.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Three things that I'd like you to report on.

First, will it play your phone ringtone through your Bluetooth earpiece (especially custom tones)?

Second, when the caller on the other end hangs up or the call is lost, will it play some kind of tone through your Bluetooth headset so you know that the connection is gone?

Third, if possible, can you tell us about data signal, is it any better than earlier models and does it stall?

I'm currently running an S2. American Toy Telephone keeps trying to get me to upgrade, but so far I've resisted, in no small part because I'm way past the contract end date. If the S6 is enough better in those three areas, I will be easier to convince. I currently use my phone as my primary Internet WiFi hub, in a fringe area, and get a lot of stalls when trying to work online.

When I leave work, I'll set it up and let you know. I plan on going for a run after work and spending the rest of the night putting the phone through it's paces and answering any questions you guys have.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

If you buy a phone outright you keep your current plan right?

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Not sure I'm ready to say cell standby issue is just limited to TMO version. Mine was low yesterday until my phone idled overnight. Battery did only drop about 5% oveenight however. Still, on my 1st full charge out of the box I got over 24 hours and a little over 4 hours screen on time. Not bad at all in my opinion.
35854f89432b6180bf58cc0d9780d05a.jpg
7cd142da0e134edb45bf8ab84b00dfe2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Not bad! The high Cell Standby isn't as much of a concern considering you let it sit for 25 hours and were only using it for 4 of them. The fact that you only drained 5% over night is the true sign that standby isn't killing your phone. Did you use WiFi at all?

magitek

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
My experience is similar to aggie's. Overnight (about 9.5 hrs) drain was 5%. Wi-Fi/Location/Sync was on, Wi-Fi Calling/VOLTE were off. Drain during actual use seems acceptable; it's significantly better than my 2-year-old S4 (w/original battery) which spends most of the time hooked to a charger.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Not bad! The high Cell Standby isn't as much of a concern considering you let it sit for 25 hours and were only using it for 4 of them. The fact that you only drained 5% over night is the true sign that standby isn't killing your phone. Did you use WiFi at all?

My phone was only connected to wifi while at home. Approximately 7pm to 6am. All day at office yesterday and this morning wifi was off as our wifi here is pretty worthless.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
My experience is similar to aggie's. Overnight (about 9.5 hrs) drain was 5%. Wi-Fi/Location/Sync was on, Wi-Fi Calling/VOLTE were off. Drain during actual use seems acceptable; it's significantly better than my 2-year-old S4 (w/original battery) which spends most of the time hooked to a charger.

Only thing I turned off was always scanning under the wifi settings. Brightness is auto. VOLTE has remained on since I activated the device. Initial results really are pleasant in my opinion. Coming from the Note 4 I really don't feel any impact due to the much smaller battery. And this thing charges so fast it blows my mind. Very, very, very happy with my purchase (so far)!

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Only thing I turned off was always scanning under the wifi settings. Brightness is auto. VOLTE has remained on since I activated the device. Initial results really are pleasant in my opinion. Coming from the Note 4 I really don't feel any impact due to the much smaller battery. And this thing charges so fast it blows my mind. Very, very, very happy with my purchase (so far)!

Your result looks quite promising, easily on par with S5. Interesting that AT&T one has VoLTE and enabled by default. Does it have smart network switching in WiFi setting? I guess you can get even better by turning it off and VoLTE disabled.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to hold off on sharing any battery screens for at least a few days, but I can tell you that battery drain from WiFi issues, including cell standby issues, is nonexistent. Hope that helps quell some fears that this phone isn't going to be a decent performer with battery life.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Your result looks quite promising, easily on par with S5. Interesting that AT&T one has VoLTE and enabled by default. Does it have smart network switching in WiFi setting? I guess you can get even better by turning it off and VoLTE disabled.

I forgot about smart network switching. It does have that, which I did switch off. VoLTE, I believe, is kind of hidden. Under Mobile Networks/Mobile Data there is an option for "Enhanced 4G LTE services" which in the description includes HD voice and enhanced communications. I am pretty much assuming this is VoLTE.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to hold off on sharing any battery screens for at least a few days, but I can tell you that battery drain from WiFi issues, including cell standby issues, is nonexistent. Hope that helps quell some fears that this phone isn't going to be a decent performer with battery life.

Should only get better after a couple days. Look forward to seeing your results in comparison to what I've been experiencing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000