Android 5.1

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Nothing official. I think I ready somewhere that 'insiders' have said 5.1 development hasn't even started on the Samsung side. Can't remember where I saw it, maybe sammobile.com?

That said I wouldn't expect it before the Note 5; they're going to want a few months to clear though any bugs that crop up with the S6 that they can wrap up and fix with 5.1 and the Note 5 would likely launch with 5.1. Add carriers into the mix and I'd say 5.1 and Samsung Pay will push out at the same time late summer/early fall.

Of course that all goes out the window if Google jumps to 5.2 (or 5.1.1, etc) sometime soon to correct issues that are still stuck in 5.1 and Samsung opts to jump over 5.1. Lollipop has been a bit of a mess.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
5.1 is supposed to address a lot of bugs in 5.0.1. I don't think I'm jumping the gun to ask if there's any information regarding 5.1 from Samsung.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Nothing official. I think I ready somewhere that 'insiders' have said 5.1 development hasn't even started on the Samsung side. Can't remember where I saw it, maybe sammobile.com?

That said I wouldn't expect it before the Note 5; they're going to want a few months to clear though any bugs that crop up with the S6 that they can wrap up and fix with 5.1 and the Note 5 would likely launch with 5.1. Add carriers into the mix and I'd say 5.1 and Samsung Pay will push out at the same time late summer/early fall.

Of course that all goes out the window if Google jumps to 5.2 (or 5.1.1, etc) sometime soon to correct issues that are still stuck in 5.1 and Samsung opts to jump over 5.1. Lollipop has been a bit of a mess.

Thanks for this.

I do hope they have plans to move to 5.1 before the Note 5. Isn't the Note series a late-in-the-year release? :T

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this.

I do hope they have plans to move to 5.1 before the Note 5. Isn't the Note series a late-in-the-year release? :T

Yeah, usually October. I thought it was a bit earlier then that but guess not. The S6 may get it before then, it all really depends on the carriers; Samsung will have it done in fairly quick order I would think but that means zip to carriers. A few carriers haven't pushed the Note 4 Lollipop update yet and AT&T is still sitting on the Lollipop S5 update so it's a complete mess with updates these days.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, usually October. I thought it was a bit earlier then that but guess not. The S6 may get it before then, it all really depends on the carriers; Samsung will have it done in fairly quick order I would think but that means zip to carriers. A few carriers haven't pushed the Note 4 Lollipop update yet and AT&T is still sitting on the Lollipop S5 update so it's a complete mess with updates these days.

Aren't we talking Lollipop 5.1? That would be a Goigle.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Aren't we talking Lollipop 5.1? That would be a Goigle.

Google makes the base code (aka vanilla Android) and then the OEM's work on modifying it. So Google's work is done on it, Samsung still has to basically turn it into TouchWiz 5.1, then do the tango with the carriers and then it gets pushed. There is a lot of development and software coding on Samsung end to turn it into that you see on our phone.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
5.1 is supposed to address a lot of bugs in 5.0.1. I don't think I'm jumping the gun to ask if there's any information regarding 5.1 from Samsung.

5.1 has bugs too. Google has fixed them internally, but I'm not sure if they released an updated version to everyone yet. Version 5.1.1 has already been spotted in the SDK which should include the necessary fixes. I'm betting these fixes will continue to slow Samsung in their ability to work on their own update. They might wait until Google finally releases a solid version of lollipop before they pour the resources into that.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
5.1 has bugs too. Google has fixed them internally, but I'm not sure if they released an updated version to everyone yet. Version 5.1.1 has already been spotted in the SDK which should include the necessary fixes. I'm betting these fixes will continue to slow Samsung in their ability to work on their own update. They might wait until Google finally releases a solid version of lollipop before they pour the resources into that.

I suppose that's fair. Hopefully it's timely once that occurs.