04-09-2015 09:27 AM
33 12
tools
    It's really hard to see that there's any "next big thing" waiting in the wings anywhere. This phone (the S6) is really about as close to perfection as I can imagine in the foreseeable future. Other than some incremental improvements in camera or battery life I really have a hard time seeing where any smartphone maker goes from here. We may truly have reached to point of diminishing (or non-existent) returns in this field of technology. Think desktop OS' What can WIndows 8 or 10 do that XP couldn't do? There comes a point at which a technology reaches conceptual maturity and, other than a few changes in bells and whistles, can't really go any further.

I never thought I'd say this (as I tend to upgrade almost every year) but the S6 may be my companion for a very long time.

I can't even think of a NBT ("Next Big Thing") for smartphones...even on the horizon.
    Gray Area, 20blks and OceanView like this.
    04-08-2015 06:24 AM
    It's the same argument that people had after the s4 or 5 or iPhone 4s or 5s. Tech companies pay big money to engineering people to figure this out. How about a battery that charges in a minute or a battery that takes 4x as long to die. A screen that projects an image out of the screen for a 3d effect for 3d printing or a camera that takes damn near the perfect shot no matter what the lighting or motion of the people are. Those are just a few on my list of things that we already have and I would like to see an improvement let alone a smart person that has an imagination and the tools to make it happen.
    My #1 thing would be a folding phone. Foldable into your pocket in a small square but then you can unfold it to whatever size you want all the way up to, say a tablet size. That way it can be small enough for one hand when you only have one to use or huge for when you want to watch media.
    20blks, Gray Area and drone3 like this.
    04-08-2015 07:07 AM
    It's really hard to see that there's any "next big thing" waiting in the wings anywhere. This phone (the S6) is really about as close to perfection as I can imagine in the foreseeable future. Other than some incremental improvements in camera or battery life I really have a hard time seeing where any smartphone maker goes from here. We may truly have reached to point of diminishing (or non-existent) returns in this field of technology. Think desktop OS' What can WIndows 8 or 10 do that XP couldn't do? There comes a point at which a technology reaches conceptual maturity and, other than a few changes in bells and whistles, can't really go any further.

I never thought I'd say this (as I tend to upgrade almost every year) but the S6 may be my companion for a very long time.

I can't even think of a NBT ("Next Big Thing") for smartphones...even on the horizon.

Yeah it's a good thing that Apple, Samsung, etc don't think like this!
    dnangel_95 and 20blks like this.
    04-08-2015 07:10 AM
    There will be just marginal improvements, cool improvements for sure but if you're looking for the first iPhone type impact you'll have to look elsewhere. I think the next big thing will be implantable devices, but we're a ways from that.

One improvemeent we would see is increasing the durability or making them break proof. If they get light enough with stronger or more flexible materials I think that'll do the trick.
    04-08-2015 07:11 AM

Well first and foremost, lithium sulfur batteries (probably in 2016-2017) are going to help put a much larger capacity into the size of the battery found in the S6, iPhone 6, etc. That's going to be a welcome sight for most people.

The risks taken on design, like the S6 Edge, will only get more innovative. I'm looking forward to what these companies can do.

Posted via the Android Central App
    20blks and Gray Area like this.
    04-08-2015 07:13 AM
    Bigger battery, 4k display, stereo speakers, 20mp rear camera with dual tone flash, possibly a 3D camera, 8mp front camera, gorilla glass 5, android 6.0, etc. etc...

You probably are happy with your S6 now, but really, there's so much more to look forward to and even bigger "NBT" over the horizon! Just because you think a device is (close to) being perfect, doesn't mean things can't go any further. And speaking of going further, the S6 actually made a few step backwards in favor of a more premium outer shell. I don't wanna discuss that further since we've had lots of those in the forums already, just trying to make a point.
    20blks and onthecouchagain like this.
    04-08-2015 07:13 AM
    We don't know how far we can push Android/smartphones into the desktop experience in the enterprise. At some point I would expect the PC to be the device with diminishing returns as the smartphone and desktop virtualization pushes onward. What about the desktop telephone in the enterprise? Can we make a cradle that eventually you place your phone in that replaces that AND the PC?
    PsychDoc and Gray Area like this.
    04-08-2015 07:27 AM
    I got bored and was browsing through some older threads on here and found one talking about the S3 around launch time. The amazing performance, and how the screen had been perfected by Samsung. It would last for years before technology improved enough to truly justify an upgrade lol.

I'm sure it will be the same way with this phone. It is pretty damn impressive, but at the rate that technology improves it won't take long for Samsung or another manufacturer to put in better specs, glass, camera, screen, battery, software etc...
    deeb215 likes this.
    04-08-2015 08:07 AM
    "Bigger battery, 4k display, stereo speakers, 20mp rear camera with dual tone flash, possibly a 3D camera, 8mp front camera, gorilla glass 5, android 6.0, etc. etc..."

Means absolutely nothing but test numbers, tbh. A photo is a photo, a 5" screen is a screen, stereo speakers in a 6" device will not fill a music arena, software is software that needs to be corrected and improved.

I don't want to type on a small glass keyboard. I don't want to hold a slim glass device. I want foldability, expandability, ergonomic controls, modular upgradability (yes I know that's coming) etc etc etc.

The 5 - 6" straight glass screen device has reached as far as I want it to go.
    OS and software will continue and never be anywhere good enough, and be a source of constant frustration.

We will be made to change to newer devices only because of storage and software capability. Apple and Android.

In 20 years time people will laugh at this period of baby steps handheld technology, but that will always be the case.
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-08-2015 08:39 AM
    "Bigger battery, 4k display, stereo speakers, 20mp rear camera with dual tone flash, possibly a 3D camera, 8mp front camera, gorilla glass 5, android 6.0, etc. etc..."

Means absolutely nothing but test numbers, tbh. A photo is a photo, a 5" screen is a screen, stereo speakers in a 6" device will not fill a music arena, software is software that needs to be corrected and improved.

I don't want to type on a small glass keyboard. I don't want to hold a slim glass device. I want foldability, expandability, ergonomic controls, modular upgradability (yes I know that's coming) etc etc etc.

The 5 - 6" straight glass screen device has reached as far as I want it to go.
    OS and software will continue and never be anywhere good enough, and be a source of constant frustration.

We will be made to change to newer devices only because of storage and software capability. Apple and Android.

In 20 years time people will laugh at this period of baby steps handheld technology, but that will always be the case.
    Who is Jony Ives? Did I win Jeopardy?

04-08-2015 08:46 AM
    I think Samsung are in a great position tbh. The S6 looks to be leaving for a fair bit of room for improvement.. slimming down touchwhiz more, better battery, SD card slot. On top of that they have their Edge which seems to be criminally under utilized. Hopefully they'll focus a fair bit of time to really flesh out the Edge capabilities, I'd really like the option to do things like pin apps to it for faster shortcuts for instance. Right now it's a little gimmicky but with a bit of creativity, has potential to be one of the biggest new features since touch screens took off.
    04-08-2015 08:49 AM
    LG will show you in a couple weeks.

04-08-2015 08:49 AM
    The S6 isn't even "officially" released yet. Can we just enjoy this phone for a while before we already start thinking about whats next
    Gray Area and tlr115 like this.
    04-08-2015 08:51 AM
    Who is Jony Ives? Did I win Jeopardy?

I'm in the UK. Those references are lost on me.

Edit: UK Apple guy. Never liked Apple, but thanks!
    04-08-2015 08:58 AM
    It's the same argument that people had after the s4 or 5 or iPhone 4s or 5s. Tech companies pay big money to engineering people to figure this out. How about a battery that charges in a minute or a battery that takes 4x as long to die. A screen that projects an image out of the screen for a 3d effect for 3d printing or a camera that takes damn near the perfect shot no matter what the lighting or motion of the people are. Those are just a few on my list of things that we already have and I would like to see an improvement let alone a smart person that has an imagination and the tools to make it happen.
    My #1 thing would be a folding phone. Foldable into your pocket in a small square but then you can unfold it to whatever size you want all the way up to, say a tablet size. That way it can be small enough for one hand when you only have one to use or huge for when you want to watch media.
    Samsung is already working on a foldable phone that does exactly what you mentioned.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Galaxy S5
    04-08-2015 08:59 AM
    There's lots of room for improvement and innovation. Here are some:

1) A phone with beautiful design that's actually durable enough to not need a case. If you drop it, it will not break.

2) Battery life which lasts several days with normal use. Or imagine a phone that constantly recharges using solar, kinetic, or extended wireless charging (longer distances than the current standards).

3) With flexible displays becoming a reality (Corning Display Technologies | Corning Willow Glass), we could see interesting ways to implement devices. Imagine a phone the size of a pack of gum which has a display that's rolled up inside the device. Or imagine a phone that can split open to reveal a second larger, folded screen (phone and tablet in one compact device).
    drone3 likes this.
    04-08-2015 09:03 AM
    Project Ara.
    04-08-2015 09:04 AM
    I want foldability, expandability, ergonomic controls
    Ah yes, Moto Razr is probably the phone for you then...
    04-08-2015 09:07 AM
    Ah yes, Moto Razr is probably the phone for you then...
    Why.

I want to go forward, not backward.

You stick with glass controls, it's only been out a few years. I will too.

When better devices designed for humans come out, I will move to them.

You are very welcome to stay with glass input devices until they put the last ones out to pasture.
    04-08-2015 09:16 AM
    Why.

I want to go forward, not backward.
    Hey, I'm not the one who enumerated those things, you did! all those things and etc etc etc are basically the Razr. Duh?
    04-08-2015 09:34 AM
    Hey, I'm not the one who enumerated those things, you did! all those things and etc etc etc are basically the Razr. Duh?
    You were being light hearted. Good.

There were several Razr's. Most never appeared in the UK, afaik. You meant the original flip Razr with just a keypad.

Naw - actually it was the Sony Ericsson P910i that did so many things right. :sob:

5 way scroll wheel (click in, click back/forward, scroll up/down), pen writing, pen with on screen keyboard, fold out qwerty keyboard.

I'll step back now, because the last time I brought up integrated ergonomic controls, a lot of people thought I was trying to drown their baby and became vicious.

Frazzel 001 likes this.
    04-08-2015 10:26 AM
    You were being light hearted. Good.

There were several Razr's. Most never appeared in the UK, afaik. You meant the original flip Razr with just a keypad.

Naw - actually it was the Sony Ericsson P910i that did so many things right. :sob:

5 way scroll wheel (click in, click back/forward, scroll up/down), pen writing, pen with on screen keyboard, fold out qwerty keyboard.

I'll step back now, because the last time I brought up integrated ergonomic controls, a lot of people thought I was trying to drown their baby and became vicious.

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04...ba9c86284a.jpg
    Lol

Posted via the Android Central App on my Galaxy S5
    04-08-2015 11:48 AM
    Who knows? We always say what could they do next?.. Then they find something to do and we're like... Man I want that!

Gray Area likes this.
    04-08-2015 12:10 PM
    I think that soon enough we will begin to see devices that are more centered around virtual reality along with holographic display. With Microsoft already allowing people to demo their hololens technology I honestly think we could begin to see a relatively practical product utilizing those features within the next 10-15 years.
    04-08-2015 10:30 PM
    I think the OP has a point. We are kind of at a point of diminishing return. Yes there will be nice improvements in newer phones but I think most people will not be compelled to upgrade as often as we have been. Personally I am planning on upgrading less often as I don't think the rate of advances will be that compelling to me. I use to upgrade every 6 - 12 months, but I think I will be going longer maybe 24-36 months.
    04-08-2015 11:11 PM
33 12