I have noticed that if you are not using Samsung's default messaging application that you will not receive any "edge" notifications from your 5 favorite contacts. Has anyone had any luck getting these to work if Hangouts is set as your default SMS application?
    04-08-2015 01:17 PM
    I have had the same issue. I have Missed Call, Messages, Email, and Message + enabled in the Edge settings. I tried disabling the Message + in the settings but that did not work. I am thinking that the application (Hangouts) has to have the ability to light up the Edge screen but that is just a guess. I did test it by setting Message+ as the default SMS app and the Edge notification worked perfectly. If anyone else has some insight on this, please chime in. Thanks.
    04-11-2015 08:47 AM
    Samsung had truly dropped the ball here and continued to show their refusal to cohesively integrate core android apps in to their bloated (although a little less in the GS6) UI. Hangouts is a major function of the android experience, integrating multiple functions (video calling, direct free text communication with other hangouts users etc), yet Samsung has decided to stick with their hodgepodge collection of archaic apps that have a history of sparse updates and spotty support.
    I really wanted to like this phone, but I can't in all good faith invest almost $900 in a phone that refuses to utilize the amazing Google app progression.
    What a bunch of arrogant idiots! The GS6 edge just lost its advantage. Good job Samsung!
    04-23-2015 10:28 AM
    Samsung had truly dropped the ball here and continued to show their refusal to cohesively integrate core android apps in to their bloated (although a little less in the GS6) UI. Hangouts is a major function of the android experience, integrating multiple functions (video calling, direct free text communication with other hangouts users etc), yet Samsung has decided to stick with their hodgepodge collection of archaic apps that have a history of sparse updates and spotty support.
    I really wanted to like this phone, but I can't in all good faith invest almost $900 in a phone that refuses to utilize the amazing Google app progression.
    What a bunch of arrogant idiots! The GS6 edge just lost its advantage. Good job Samsung!
    My guess is most mainstream consumers never change from the stock app. So while it's a a loss of advantage to you, it probably isn't for most. I think there's an SDK for the edge feature so it's more than likely something that Google would have to update on their own. I wouldn't be surprised if they did update their apps to support it since they support multiwindow. I don't think you can blame Samsung though, blame Google.
    04-23-2015 11:47 AM
    I am curious about the same issue here except with google messenger being the default app. Do you really think it's on google here or is it maybe both google and samsung that have some work here? any chance we might see this in a future update?
    04-29-2015 11:16 PM
    There's an SDK so unless they don't give access of that functionality to other apps, it's on Google.
    04-29-2015 11:31 PM
    I'm not familiar with an SDK. What is that?
    05-01-2015 10:44 AM
    Software development kit. It gives developers the tools they need to use features of the edge.
    05-03-2015 08:48 PM
    And by "core android apps" you mean google apps? Because I think you don't really know what "core android apps" are.
    09-10-2015 04:50 AM