Cost of replacing Galaxy S6 Battery?

slobkabob

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
So what would the cost of replacing an S6's battery be? I know it's a bit too early to know exactly, but I was looking for an approximate figure from former iPhone users, or from those currently using Android devices with fixed batteries that have had to replace them for whatever reason.

I can get past the SD Card issue, but I'm hung up on the battery being non-replaceable. In the past, I was able to replace failing batteries by buying a generic one off of eBay. I'm sad that I can't do that with the S6 (should the need ever arise). Hopefully if the cost isn't too great, then I may proceed with an S6 next month.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Amazon does not even list a battery yet, much to early to know. Also, will be a tricky job battery is glued in and with so much glass that will be fun. See iFixIt link on tear down. Click here.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The battery is not even designed to be user replaceable under any circumstance so I doubt you would find one listed on Amazon. Samsung likely won't be selling them or making them available for purchase because of that.

I'd say $75 to $120 for a battery replacement though Samsung. Mind you they'd likely just swap the phone out, but I think my HTC One M8 would have been $99 for an out of warranty battery 'repair' but that was awhile ago and I had only asked out of curiosity when talking to their customer service one day.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I looked into this and is quite expensive if in the USA.

You have a few choices, but none of them is good.
If you have a good repair shop by you it should be about $100 and if still under warranty then it's void once repaired. If still under warranty, I would just use Samsung warranty service.

If past warranty, then you'll need to have insurance or pay a repair shop to do it for you.

So if you truly want to be safe, then Samsung offers insurance for $99 and a $75 copay per repair. Protects against everything but loss and stolen.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tection-plus%2Fmobile-elite%2F&token=_3GL-YSW

Or SquareTrade does the same thing for the same price. But I think you are allowed more repairs with SquareTrade.

So total with insurance for 2 years is $175 for one battery replacement.
I'm going with SquareTrade myself.

Posted via the Android Central App

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Samsung isn't offering Mobile Elite Protection plus for S6 according to the website. Just the Notes and the S4 & 5. If they did I would happily get it, maybe once it officially launches it'll be updated to include the S6.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Samsung isn't offering Mobile Elite Protection plus for S6 according to the website. Just the Notes and the S4 & 5. If they did I would happily get it, maybe once it officially launches it'll be updated to include the S6.

That's what I assume too.
That is also why I'm signing up with SquareTrade by tomorrow.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
The battery is not even designed to be user replaceable under any circumstance so I doubt you would find one listed on Amazon.

The battery for the Nexus 5 is not user replaceable. However, that does not keep user from replacing it. I'm not saying that the average used will be replacing it.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

That could be because the phone is not available yet, its not officially on the market until Friday so perhaps they will list it then.

slobkabob

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Guys, this really doesn't sound appealing to me. Damn it. Looks like I'll have to ditch Samsung then. Thanks for all of your info. I'll probably look into another phone.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Guys, this really doesn't sound appealing to me. Damn it. Looks like I'll have to ditch Samsung then. Thanks for all of your info. I'll probably look into another phone.

if you can't live without removable battery, G3, S5 and Note 4 are all great options.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Pretty soon a replaceable battery will go the way of the Dodo. They (as in all manufacturers) want us to buy new phones, not keep the ones we have by putting in a new battery. So if this is a make-or-break deal, then you better get used to it.

independentvolume

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Pretty soon a replaceable battery will go the way of the Dodo. They (as in all manufacturers) want us to buy new phones, not keep the ones we have by putting in a new battery. So if this is a make-or-break deal, then you better get used to it.

I'm sure someone will step up. Big money to be made in a niche market.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Amazon does not even list a battery yet, much to early to know. Also, will be a tricky job battery is glued in and with so much glass that will be fun. See iFixIt link on tear down. Click here.

Pretty sure it's only glued in for the Edge. Looking at the link you posted for the regular S6 they didn't say anything about it being glued down.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure it's only glued in for the Edge. Looking at the link you posted for the regular S6 they didn't say anything about it being glued down.

The back case is glued down as well as the battery and then the screen. Check out this complete tear down of the S6. Differently not for the faint of heart, even the guy doing the tear down admits to breaking the screen on the first attempt. . How to Change the Battery on the New Galaxy S6

hhmorgan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
That's what I assume too.
That is also why I'm signing up with SquareTrade by tomorrow.

You can also put it on the carrier insurance for 1 month and see if Samsung's going to release a Protection Plan for the S6. If they don't then Square Trade allows you to put it on their plan with proof that your on an existing carrier's plan (see their website).

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
If it's any comfort to the S6 crowd, after heavy use on my M8 for a little over a year, the battery still lasts as long as it did the day I plugged it in... I think two years is easy for the S6 and the newer, sealed phones.

Posted via Android Central App

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
If it's any comfort to the S6 crowd, after heavy use on my M8 for a little over a year, the battery still lasts as long as it did the day I plugged it in... I think two years is easy for the S6 and the newer, sealed phones.

Posted via Android Central App

Only thing can prove that would be calibration tests then and now......

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15