I've read over in the Edge forum that Samsung has throttled back what you can do manually with screen brightness and that, even at maximum brightness (as set by the manual slider) the phone is noticeably darker than the S5. Apparently Samsung decided in its infinite wisdom (?) that we weren't mature enough to be trusted with adjusting our own screen brightness so they left the brightest settings to be only accessible through auto-brightness. Kind of weird. And while the 'Auto" setting is generally fine, there are occasions where you want to override it to the upside.

Are you guys satisfied with the screen brightness on 'Auto' or have you found that you want to brighten things up but can't?
    04-10-2015 05:33 AM
    It's 4% dimmer on average when on manual settings, I really think people are exaggerating this.

I usually put my phone on manual 40%, and check the auto when I go outdoors. With an s6 (which I don't have, btw), this habit gives best of the both worlds.
    04-10-2015 05:37 AM
    It's 4% dimmer on average when on manual settings, I really think people are exaggerating this.

I usually put my phone on manual 40%, and check the auto when I go outdoors. With an s6 (which I don't have, btw), this habit gives best of the both worlds.
    I only ask because of this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post4345043

http://forums.androidcentral.com/att...n_photo-01.jpg
    04-10-2015 05:44 AM
    Considering that the max auto brightness on the S6 is 756 nits vs 617 on the S5.

http://gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6-review-1227p3.php

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-10-2015 06:03 AM
    Considering that the max auto brightness on the S6 is 756 nits vs 617 on the S5.

Samsung Galaxy S6 review: Subject Zero - page 3 - GSMArena.com

Yes, I was aware of that. But if that's only available on an otherwise too dark 'Auto brightness' in blinding sunlight then it hardly matters.
    04-10-2015 06:07 AM
    Yes, I was aware of that. But if that's only available on an otherwise too dark 'Auto brightness' in blinding sunlight then it hardly matters.
    That's what I'm saying. It hardly matters since the S6 is brighter when needed most.

04-10-2015 06:24 AM
    I can only use Auto brightness when I'm outdoors or driving, otherwise it is way too bright for me. My manual setting is just a few hairs past the lowest setting and that works perfect for me indoors. No way I'd ever think the screen could be too dim for me. And on auto outdoors, this is the first phone I could clearly see in daylight.
    04-10-2015 09:20 AM

I actually read in this GSMArena article that the difference (at least on the edge) was considerable - manual maximum is 470 nits but auto was 750. That said, I don't have any brightness issues with mine. I actually find the auto setting too dim in most settings so I just leave it at 50% brightness manually and it's pretty bright at that setting.

Samsung Galaxy S6 edge review: Double down - page 3 - GSMArena.com
    04-10-2015 09:33 AM
    I don't have any issues with the screen brightness. You can see it just fine in direct sunlight.
    04-10-2015 10:12 AM
    How's Your Screen Brightness?-73044.png

I trust Anandtech's display numbers. The display, on manual, is objectively dim. That's always been a drawback of AMOLED displays. However, it seems like Auto-brightness is able to ramp it up quite nicely in sunlight. I'm eager to see how well auto works.
    04-10-2015 11:35 AM