gs5 to gs6 ? is it worth it?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
no. skip every other generation. buy new on launch day and upgrade every 24 months. stick to a schedule. this way you stay current without pissssssssssing away money.

You are pissing away money every 2 years, some every 'n' number of years, some every flagship launch day. Depends on how you define the throwing away money part.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
How are you liking your Edge?

I'm honestly really impressed. I thought it would be a good phone, but I really didn't expect to be So good. I'm not Samsung biggest fan since I work at Apple and all, but I'm in love with this phone and I'm running stock touchwiz. And it's great.

Posted via the Android Central App

e-bsl

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Guys ,thanks for the replies I'll certainly go try out the gs6 if its really good I'll try selling my phone

Posted via my Galaxy S5

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm honestly really impressed. I thought it would be a good phone, but I really didn't expect to be So good. I'm not Samsung biggest fan since I work at Apple and all, but I'm in love with this phone and I'm running stock touchwiz. And it's great.

I bet you catch a lot blowback from your co-workers. Good for you. Using what works best for you in spite of everything.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I bet you catch a lot blowback from your co-workers. Good for you. Using what works best for you in spite of everything.

Actually, it's kind of funny. When someone comes in asking why iPhone vs Android the first thing they do is call me over.
Of course I mention the positives of iPhone and a few negatives of the android side, but for the most part I am pretty honest.
I tell the customer that iPhone basically (in general), it just works. Android is for tech heads that like to tinker.

The other funny part is I have shown my S6 Edge to several people and they all Love the screen and the pictures it takes.
I like iPhone and iOS, but I really like android and widgets etc. If apple would give me a few things that android has I would stay on iPhone.
The things iOS needs and must have to get me back are simple.
REAL widgets.
Let me put my damn icons where I want.
Let me set Default apps. and let me disable iOS native apps if I want, and/or delete apple apps I don't want.
basically give me more control of my phone.

hardware-wise: I really don't like the feel of the 6+.
It's top heavy, feels like it wants to flip over backwards when using it one handed.
Trim the massive top and bottom bezels and put the finger print reader in the apple on the back.
Use iPad 2 parts (or better) Triple core, 2GB ram, better graphics card etc.

e-bsl

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
@mayconvert you basically explained that you want iphones to be very similar to android flagships, which is not going to happen

Posted via my Galaxy S5

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I found it worth it. Though I miss having water/dustproofing. Also a removable back. Though I'm not too worried.
The S5 did outlast the s6, note 3 and note 4 battery wise screen on time on zedomax (I think??) YouTube channel. I don't use a phone that heavy anyway.

Last edited:

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a chance to fully set up my S6 yet, but on the night I got it it only ended up using 1% in standby over the night which is exceptionally good standby time considering it's a brand new device.

I had to switch my Sim back to my S5 afterwards so my S6 has been sitting on my desk for the past week looking pretty. I do have some concerns about battery life and I don't expect the S6 to last as long as my S5 does but that's a small price to pay given all the other substantial improvements over the S5.

To give you an idea of the kind of battery life I get with my S5 on lollipop:
fac177487916cd6304a011bc53966c03.jpg
ee761515e40f068a34594f50f9161af2.jpg

The issue with the S5 is the battery life is good enough for 1.5 days which puts me in awkward predicament if I decide not to charge it one night. I consistently end up going to bed with 30-40% battery which can last me only part of the way through the next day and then leaves me struggling to find a charger to make it to the evening. In the end I just charge it every night, the same thing I'll do with the S6.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
The issue with the S5 is the battery life is good enough for 1.5 days which puts me in awkward predicament if I decide not to charge it one night. I consistently end up going to bed with 30-40% battery which can last me only part of the way through the next day and then leaves me struggling to find a charger to make it to the evening. In the end I just charge it every night, the same thing I'll do with the S6.

I'm curious to see what your experience will be with the S6 in comparison. I and some others on these forums have actually had better battery life with the S6 than the S5, though not many of us are popping the same SIM back and forth for a more direct comparison.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The camera was worth the upgrade for me. While pictures in full sunlight are about on par with the S5, low light is no contest, and OIS absolutely slays the S5 for video. Everything else is varying degrees of better, but it's the camera that takes it to another level.

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have no regrets about upgrading. I know that this is purely anecdotal, but my s6 battery life seems as good as (if not better than) my s5. The camera is worth the upgrade for me as I'm a realtor and the s5 camera was hit-or-miss. I never had to swap batteries or sd cards in my s5, so those are non-issues for me.

On the earlier sim-swapping comments, I don't think that they are swappable. The s6 takes a nano sim, while the s5 uses a micro sim.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious to see what your experience will be with the S6 in comparison. I and some others on these forums have actually had better battery life with the S6 than the S5, though not many of us are popping the same SIM back and forth for a more direct comparison.

Yeah I'll make the full switch over tomorrow night and I should have some insight on the battery life over the next couple days. It's interesting that some people are getting better battery life on the S6, I'm doubting I'll be one of those cases but I will be more than satisfied with 5 hours of screen on time.

In order to switch back and forth, I activated a nano sim and use a microsim adapter for the S5. It gives me the best of both worlds given the circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
With location services off, I'm getting about the same battery life as I did on the S5. I was using the power saver mode, so I had to fiddle with it for navigation anyway. So all I'm missing is the weather.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I am also getting about the same battery life as my S5. I like the night clock on the edge and the fast charging is great. Using Avengers Ultron theme, which I think is helping with battery life. Also using dark theme twitter (Carbon), of course dark theme Mobile Nations app. Is it all worth it?

I got the S6 edge for the looks, camera, and themes (and the hope of a truly black-AMOLED-friendly theme). But I don't feel as though the S6 is superior in everyday function to the S5. If I had to go back to it tomorrow it would not bother me.

But this camera.... Oh mama...

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
In order to switch back and forth, I activated a nano sim and use a microsim adapter for the S5. It gives me the best of both worlds given the circumstances.
Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I had no idea the adapter existed! Ordering one today...thanks for the info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca