Torn on Galaxy S6 vs Nexus 6 - Few Questions

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm very undecided which phone to get. I have an iPhone 6 Plus and this phone will be used along side my 6 Plus. I like the large screen (might miss a large screen?), moto software, and stock android on the Nexus but hate the camera and battery life is so so, as is the build.

On the Galaxy S6, I love the screen, the camera, the build, and the size (I love the bigger phones but sometimes I think it'd be nice to go back to something smaller. What I don't love is the battery life (especially since I'm on T-Mobile) and the software bloat. I'd really prefer stock android but I haven't used Touchwiz since Galaxy S4.

3 questions:

1. Is it relatively easy to make the S6 look like a Nexus 6? I don't know a ton about Android and customization but if I use the Google Now launcher would I still have some of the functionality of touchwiz (double click for camera is a feature that has nearly sold me).

2. How about the icons? How can I get the stock android icons?

3. Anyone else go back and forth deciding between these 2 or even own both? Any comments or suggestions?

kregstrong

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Nova launcher will solve most the aesthetics, and bring it more in line with stock lollipop for most things other than notification shade and settings, stuff like that. You can download any icon pack you want and apply it to nova, such as stock lollipop icons. You would also keep the double click home for camera as that's gonna be built into Samsung's software. I have a nexus 6 and I'm swapping to the gs6, I'm ready to go back to a smaller phone even though I love my n6 and stock android, time will tell how annoying or decent touchwiz will be. But Yea for the most part a custom launcher will remove a lot of Samsung's junk from the home screen and app drawer.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
It looks like your 1st and 2nd question can be answered by downloading a launcher - Nova looks similar to stock and you can get plenty of icon packs, such as Moonshine. Another launcher I would highly suggest would be Action Launcher 3 - that's my fav. I had the Note 4, but swapped it for a Nexus 6. My battery life is brilliant and the camera is good, you just need to be patient with it when using HDR + mode. I don't regret it, I prefer the UI on the Nexus.

It all depends on what you want, better camera and smaller handset - go for the S6. Bigger handset, great battery and good camera - Nexus 6.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
1. Is it relatively easy to make the S6 look like a Nexus 6? I don't know a ton about Android and customization but if I use the Google Now launcher would I still have some of the functionality of touchwiz (double click for camera is a feature that has nearly sold me).

2. How about the icons? How can I get the stock android icons?

3. Anyone else go back and forth deciding between these 2 or even own both? Any comments or suggestions?

1. Without rooting or modifying the actual OS, you would be able to easily install a custom launcher from the play store. Some examples include Nova, Action and Apex launchers (Action launcher being my personal favourite). That will make the home screen look more like stock, with lots of customisation. If you were interested in something more basic, you could use the Google Now launcher as you said. Also, you will retain all the core functionality of Touchwiz although, you may want to consider Google's alternatives to some of Samsung's default apps like the browser.

2. Without xposed or a theme engine, you won't be able to change the icons on the stock or Google Now launcher. I believe Touchwiz has a theme engine, but I'm not 100% sure it's capable of changing the icons on the GNL or other alternatives. Some custom launchers - Nova for example - include an option to use Lollipop stock icons in the customisation menu's. Otherwise, you should be able to download a stock-like icon pack from the play store, or one that is stock-like with nice enhancements; Moonshine or similar.

3. Since the size difference is tremendous, i'd say that should be the deciding factor. Since both are relatively new phones, the specs are similar but the N6 is almost a full blown tablet. Also things like battery should be taken into consideration - not that either are that great - and storage, since only the S6 offers 128Gb. Also the build is very different, as you mentioned. Don't forget that if touchwiz is still too much after changing the launcher and icons, there should be some AOSP based ROMs to choose from, in a matter of weeks at the latest.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all so far. Does Nova launcher have an option for swipe left for Google Now? That's one thing I love about GN launcher.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all so far. Does Nova launcher have an option for swipe left for Google Now? That's one thing I love about GN launcher.

While it is very customisable, Nova doesn't seem to have horizontal gesture control - unless I'm missing it, of course. Action launcher does however. Keep in mind that when you use Google Now with a custom launcher it is not as well integrated. There isn't the nice, smooth animation of the GNL and it also doesn't have transperant navigation and status bars.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
While it is very customisable, Nova doesn't seem to have horizontal gesture control - unless I'm missing it, of course. Action launcher does however. Keep in mind that when you use Google Now with a custom launcher it is not as well integrated. There isn't the nice, smooth animation of the GNL and it also doesn't have transperant navigation and status bars.

This is a bit disheartening. Makes my decision that much more difficult!

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a Nexus 6, definitely miss the stock feel. TouchWiz is not even THAT bad but the lack of control is really errking me. Big time.
For me though, I still prefer the S6 due to the much better and faster camera along with the fingerprint scanner and better screen, I'll probably going back and forth to be honest

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
It's the same story every year - new, shiny flagships with superior hardware are out and tempting. Better cameras, better battery, better screen etc. But the Nexus line is always at least comparable, and I think that holds true in this case. It comes down to stock Android vs skinned. Both capable, but stock Android is stock Android, and that combined with the quick updates (you'll get Android M or whatever in September instantly) is a huge draw. Only you can tell how much value that holds. Additionally, there is a huge size difference this year. If you like the 6 plus, you'll like the Nexus 6.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Well if you really like large screens, then the nexus is clearly the better choice over the S6. Although the Note 4 would be even better, since you get the large screen plus the s pen.