So I pre-ordered the S6 a couple weeks ago at Best Buy (to get the wireless charging pad thrown in), and went to pick it up this morning only to be told I couldn't get it going the 2-year contract route b/c my upgrade eligibility wasn't until next month (which I knew). I was fully prepared to just pay the ETF so I could get the phone, keep my grandfathered unlimited plan, pay the 200 bucks for the device (32GB), and steer clear of the NEXT plan (which I think is a complete rip). I was told that Best Buy can't sell the phone for the 2-year contract when someone isn't upgrade eligible unless it's an iPhone. (Unbelievable...) So after waiting to be helped for about half an hour, then getting this info for another half hour, and then getting my money back for their ridiculous $50 pre-order hold gift card after having to explain the situation to three different people and basically being told without words, here's your 50 bucks now f**k off, I walked out of the store slightly irritated and with no phone and no chance of getting the wireless charging pad (which was the only reason for pre-ordering from those numbskulls in the first place). *sigh*

So I go across the street to the AT&T store and try to just purchase the phone there. And they tell me that in order to do what I'm asking (again, 2-year contract, retain my plan, buy the phone, pay the ETF) I'm going to have to pay an addtl $250 since buying out of your contract reduces the amount of subsidy AT&T offers by $200 (as in, they take off $450 for a new 2-year contract). My only other option is to buy out of the contract, have my line and current phone number deactivated, get a new line/number as a result, and lose my unlimited plan. ... I think I had a mini-stroke b/c all I remember is holding back my true feelings, somehow mustering out a "no", tasting purple, and then being back in my car with non-stop eye-rolling happening as I drove. Wow.

Not willing to give up just yet, I made one final attempt at thinks and on my way home, I call up AT&T and speak with a rep and simply ask the question "can you move my eligibility date to today, since I've been a customer with AT&T for over 10 years?". The guy checks with his manager and after a few moments says "sure, but you'll have to order the phone through me over the call, b/c the store might not honor the exception". So after talking the rep a bit, when all's said and done, no ETF, no extra bulls**t payment, my unlimited plan's intact, and I get the phone I wanted with no extra hassle other than having to wait another few days before I can play with it. (Yeah, no wireless charging pad, but I figure that's the cost of the lesson I learned, which is don't waste your money supported a flailing, non-customer-service focused business like Best Buy. I won't be spending my money there again. I should've known better beforehand...)

I pretty much just came on here to vent, to entertain those that might be having similar ridiculous issues with the process, and to tell you all to enjoy your new S6/S6 Edge's just a little bit more for me today/tonight. I can easily wait a few days, but if I'd known what I know now, I could've saved myself some headache.

Cheers all, have fun with the new digs!!
    04-10-2015 03:16 PM
    It seems you are mad for Best Buy and the ATT store just enforcing their policies and not rolling over and giving you what you want simply because you've paid them for service you've received for 10 years. So, you're still within an active 2-year contract with a month to go and you're angry that they wouldn't allow you to upgrade with a new 2-year contract? There is a reason it is called a 2-year contract and not a 1-year and 11 month contract. Not getting why you thought this was standard practice.

Also, if you have a grandfathered unlimited plan, you have to pay retail for a device to keep the plan. If you buy a phone on a subsidy, you lose the unlimited plan. If the rep let you keep it, you really lucked out, because they will do everything possible to get you off the unlimited deal.

Based on your story, I would have thought your post would have been a "got my phone today and att really hooked me up" type thread, saying that not only were you not upgrade eligible, but you still have an unlimited plan, but ATT still moved your upgrade date AND let me keep unlimited data plan. You should be thankful, not frustrated.
    04-10-2015 03:27 PM
    It really sucks that you had to deal with that, glad you got it sorted out.
    For the last few contract cycles and phone upgrades (both for myself and wife), I've strictly dealt with Rogers (Canada) over the phone, people in Rogers stores and 3rd party retailers (Best Buy) have ZERO power to give you any sort of discounts or make any exceptions.

When I call Rogers directly, a little patience goes a long way and I usually get the phone with little hassle, as they have the power to offer discounts in appreciation of being a LONG-time customer. The last 2 times, I've actually had them make a note on my account to allow in-store pick up immediately, rather than waiting for the phone to be mailed (but that's been months after phone release, so inventory isn't an issue).
    Daspoo likes this.
    04-10-2015 03:27 PM
    That does suck. But yay for at&t for that nice thing they did.
    Daspoo likes this.
    04-10-2015 03:30 PM
    Best Buy is the worst POS to do business with and I avoid them at all costs.

I'm still waiting for Verizon to ship my 128GB next week, your not the only one without a new toy.
    Daspoo likes this.
    04-10-2015 03:32 PM
    It seems you are mad for Best Buy and the ATT store just enforcing their policies and not rolling over and giving you what you want simply because you've paid them for service you've received for 10 years. So, you're still within an active 2-year contract with a month to go and you're angry that they wouldn't allow you to upgrade with a new 2-year contract? There is a reason it is called a 2-year contract and not a 1-year and 11 month contract. Not getting why you thought this was standard practice.

Also, if you have a grandfathered unlimited plan, you have to pay retail for a device to keep the plan. If you buy a phone on a subsidy, you lose the unlimited plan. If the rep let you keep it, you really lucked out, because they will do everything possible to get you off the unlimited deal.

Based on your story, I would have thought your post would have been a "got my phone today and att really hooked me up" type thread, saying that not only were you not upgrade eligible, but you still have an unlimited plan, but ATT still moved your upgrade date AND let me keep unlimited data plan. You should be thankful, not frustrated.
    Let's get things cleared up since you seem to have incorrect impressions from my story. I never once said I was mad or angry, I said I was irritated - huge difference. And I wasn't "mad for Best Buy" telling me they had no power to do what I was hoping to do, but rather that they never asked the appropriate questions when I went to pre-order in the first place (which was the first thing today's rep asked me and was curious about); if they had, I would've known in advance and gone through AT&T and saved myself some time. Second, I didn't "luck out" on anything w.r.t wanting to keep my unlimited plan - I didn't ask for anything that isn't done all the time for so many others. I have a cousin that has done so for the past 3 years, getting a new device each year and despite paying out the ___ in ETFs, retaining his unlimited plan. Third, and probably most importantly, the only thing I'm "thankful" for is that I talked to the rep on the phone that was willing to try to help me as best he could. I've been a customer with AT&T for 10 years - if customer loyalty means nothing to them, there are plenty of other businesses that would be happy to accommodate its customers. It's in their best interest to extend a little grace, especially to those like myself who aren't looking to take advantage of that grace but do feel like it's a small way to say thanks for your loyalty.

But I guess we think differently. So you continue to act within the confines of what you believe is the way, and I'll do the same.
    BioFanatic likes this.
    04-10-2015 03:39 PM

I'm still waiting for Verizon to ship my 128GB next week, your not the only one without a new toy.
    Sorry man - but soon!
    felloffthetruck likes this.
    04-10-2015 03:40 PM
    Yep, walked into Bestbuy around 11am after I called to verify my preorder was there (I ordered on the 27th early). The response on the phone was ATT phones just came so yep its here. Came there about 30 minutes later and they tell me we only got a small shipment this am, only black 32gb. The rest should be here by 4. We will call/email you when it comes in. I couldn't come back so I just walked across the street to At&t and got the phone. Was only at the corporate store for about 20 mins. I also had to pay off a balance on the next plan. I only choose BB for the wireless charger. Its 4:55 and still no email notification that its in. Never again with BB. Also when I went to the BB store to check there was a women getting activated and when I got mine across the street she was still there getting serviced by the slow BB employee.
    04-10-2015 03:56 PM
    AT&T stores are incredibly strict when it comes to upgrade policy. I've learned that over the years. With the right nudging customer service can usually move things up if it's not an insane request, like 6+ months early. The guy was right to tell you the stores won't honor it, I had to go the the BBB for the last early upgrade I did before I got on Next when every store I went to refused to do it without an extra $200 fee, unless I wanted a basic phone.

I'm surprised the AT&T store didn't just offer to let you buy it at full price; the smart sales person would at least try and find a middle ground or other option even if you may not have wanted to do that. All you should have to do is activate it on the line and boom, done. I don't think you can pay the ETF and then be out of contract, ETF only comes into play if you cancel the line. When I worked for Sprint I know we couldn't let customer's do that, but I've never tried it with AT&T.

At least you got a nice phone rep (as someone who used to do that, I bumped upgrades all the time if it was within 45 days and people were nice. My supervisor didn't really care :P) and now you'll have the S6! That's certainly the important part!
    Daspoo likes this.
    04-10-2015 04:17 PM

Could not agree more.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Daspoo likes this.
    04-10-2015 06:30 PM
    I didn't get anything you got from his story. What I got was he was upset because he was misinformed, a few times it seems like. When you are told something whether incorrect or not, then you are expecting things to go a certain way, then they don't because you've been misinformed it is kinda disappointing. Who can't relate to that?

04-10-2015 06:30 PM
    I didn't get anything you got from his story. What I got was he was upset because he was misinformed, a few times it seems like. When you are told something whether incorrect or not, then you are expecting things to go a certain way, then they don't because you've been misinformed it is kinda disappointing. Who can't relate to that?

Precisely. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App
    04-10-2015 06:34 PM

Agree with what you are saying. Calling the workers numbskulls and saying they lack customer service because they followed rules is no reason to be angry.

Yes, they should have asked some questions but issues like that are due to the system. If their systems allow for you to preorder then the rep will probably think everything is OK on the account to proceed with the upgrade.

Honestly, if I was in the OPs position I would have just ditched AT&T and gone to t-mobile or even Sprint. Why are you having to fight so hard for something that their competitors will give you for LESS?

04-10-2015 07:54 PM
    I also had a bad experience with BB...never preordering with them again
    They make things so difficult and unnecessarily difficult
    Daspoo likes this.
    04-10-2015 08:01 PM
    What is stupid is how the carriers will bend over for apple (probably in their contracts) and allow early upgrades, hell any time you want a phone they will sell you an IPHONE first. No thank you. Like the ipad, but not the phone at all.
    04-10-2015 09:12 PM
    yes best buy is crap. Their concept of pre order is to look at their inventory on launch day and decide those that pre ordered day one are on a back order list while walk ins can get the phone. Everyone else's concept of pre order is to get you the phone on launch day or earlier. Best Buy is a joke that will be out of business soon if they keep it up
    Daspoo likes this.
    04-10-2015 09:36 PM
    So I pre-ordered the S6 a couple weeks ago at Best Buy (to get the wireless charging pad thrown in), and went to pick it up this morning only to be told I couldn't get it going the 2-year contract route b/c my upgrade eligibility wasn't until next month (which I knew). I was fully prepared to just pay the ETF so I could get the phone, keep my grandfathered unlimited plan, pay the 200 bucks for the device (32GB), and steer clear of the NEXT plan (which I think is a complete rip). I was told that Best Buy can't sell the phone for the 2-year contract when someone isn't upgrade eligible unless it's an iPhone. (Unbelievable...) So after waiting to be helped for about half an hour, then getting this info for another half hour, and then getting my money back for their ridiculous $50 pre-order hold gift card after having to explain the situation to three different people and basically being told without words, here's your 50 bucks now f**k off, I walked out of the store slightly irritated and with no phone and no chance of getting the wireless charging pad (which was the only reason for pre-ordering from those numbskulls in the first place). *sigh*

So I go across the street to the AT&T store and try to just purchase the phone there. And they tell me that in order to do what I'm asking (again, 2-year contract, retain my plan, buy the phone, pay the ETF) I'm going to have to pay an addtl $250 since buying out of your contract reduces the amount of subsidy AT&T offers by $200 (as in, they take off $450 for a new 2-year contract). My only other option is to buy out of the contract, have my line and current phone number deactivated, get a new line/number as a result, and lose my unlimited plan. ... I think I had a mini-stroke b/c all I remember is holding back my true feelings, somehow mustering out a "no", tasting purple, and then being back in my car with non-stop eye-rolling happening as I drove. Wow.

Not willing to give up just yet, I made one final attempt at thinks and on my way home, I call up AT&T and speak with a rep and simply ask the question "can you move my eligibility date to today, since I've been a customer with AT&T for over 10 years?". The guy checks with his manager and after a few moments says "sure, but you'll have to order the phone through me over the call, b/c the store might not honor the exception". So after talking the rep a bit, when all's said and done, no ETF, no extra bulls**t payment, my unlimited plan's intact, and I get the phone I wanted with no extra hassle other than having to wait another few days before I can play with it. (Yeah, no wireless charging pad, but I figure that's the cost of the lesson I learned, which is don't waste your money supported a flailing, non-customer-service focused business like Best Buy. I won't be spending my money there again. I should've known better beforehand...)

I pretty much just came on here to vent, to entertain those that might be having similar ridiculous issues with the process, and to tell you all to enjoy your new S6/S6 Edge's just a little bit more for me today/tonight. I can easily wait a few days, but if I'd known what I know now, I could've saved myself some headache.

Cheers all, have fun with the new digs!!
    I'm not eligible yet either, but I called ATT to ask them if they could move me up somehow, and they did. It is still not showing up online, but she said she put it in the notes for my contract. I still don't have a phone yet though, because they didn't have the gold.
    04-10-2015 10:06 PM
    Agree with what you are saying. Calling the workers numbskulls and saying they lack customer service because they followed rules is no reason to be angry.

Yes, they should have asked some questions but issues like that are due to the system. If their systems allow for you to preorder then the rep will probably think everything is OK on the account to proceed with the upgrade.

Honestly, if I was in the OPs position I would have just ditched AT&T and gone to t-mobile or even Sprint. Why are you having to fight so hard for something that their competitors will give you for LESS?

Actually my numbskulls comment was due to the fact that they all stood around having no clue of what I was asking to do and had to ask me 3 times to explain it to them again. Even the manager that found the need to jump in, at one point said to one of the people helping me within earshot, "yeah I'm not sure what he's trying to do - that's why you need to call ___".

When management doesn't even care to try to understand the customer in a retail business, can't get much more numbskull than that. I just called it like I saw it. And again, not angry - irritated yes, but not angry. I'll eventually get the phone - but having my time wasted is a bit annoying.

04-11-2015 11:52 AM